• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Test XI of the past 10 years

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Long term Greigy in the making?

I maintain he looks the goods, but still has to show a real improvement re. his off stump techinique against consistent attacks. If he does, I agree he'll be top shelf. If not, he'll continue to be a every good player vs ok attacks, but slightly limited against good ones imo.
I honestly think that's a bit overblown. His weaknesses are no more than virtually every other left-hander ever to play the game. And I'll say it again - the only time they've ever been truly tested was by McGrath and Clark - with a new-ball - this winter. It's perfectly conceivable that he'll never again face such an examination.

And that doesn't mean he'll be a flat-track bully, it means opening the batting against Australia last winter was as close to an impossible task as you'll get. Sometimes, as a batsman, you just have to admit that the bowler's too good. And it can happen. The bowler has the ball in his hand - he controls the game. If he's good enough, especially with a new cherry, he can make it so a batsman has no realistic chance. Even despite the excellence of the attack, of course, Cook still managed one fairly monumental innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's don't get it - I was a bit perplexed as to where you added Angus Fraser to three Australian-bred Englishmen in McCague, Mullally and White.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I honestly think that's a bit overblown. His weaknesses are no more than virtually every other left-hander ever to play the game. And I'll say it again - the only time they've ever been truly tested was by McGrath and Clark - with a new-ball - this winter. It's perfectly conceivable that he'll never again face such an examination.

And that doesn't mean he'll be a flat-track bully, it means opening the batting against Australia last winter was as close to an impossible task as you'll get. Sometimes, as a batsman, you just have to admit that the bowler's too good. And it can happen. The bowler has the ball in his hand - he controls the game. If he's good enough, especially with a new cherry, he can make it so a batsman has no realistic chance. Even despite the excellence of the attack, of course, Cook still managed one fairly monumental innings.
Agree with all that, but if you're going to group him in with players from earlier in the 10 year period who played against (as you say) much stronger bowlers, shouldn't one take his performance against the current strongest attack as something of an indicator in comparing him with those from last decade who had the Ambrose/ Walsh, Wasim/ Waqar, Donalds, etc. to contend with?