• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies players refuse to tour Zimbabwe

Craig

World Traveller
ZCU/whoever in charge, can never call anybody racist in the first place as what is happening in the country is racism itself.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/current/story/298181.html
At last some players show a bit of backbone about Zimbabwe. Two points - will the ICC fine them? it isn't a Test or ODI tour do they have the power? And i'd love to hear the Zim propaganda machine's reaction to this one - they can't call the Windies racist - can they?
Not really an issue of backbone as it's not a moral stance, it's that they're afraid of their safety. More of a "we don't want to die" issue. Not sure how grounded those fears are, people like Goughy would be able to attest to that.

Oh and title edited.

Piper

International Captain
If no one is willing to tour Zimbabwe, what is the point in trying to organise tours there in the first place?

pasag

RTDAS
You're assuming you know why they're refusing to tour. I'd guess that it's moral reasons, rather than security.
The article quotes the WIPA guy saying:

"While we at WIPA acknowledge the importance of the development of cricket, we are, nevertheless, firmly of the view that the safety of players in an unsettled environment is of paramount importance."

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
The article quotes the WIPA guy saying:

"While we at WIPA acknowledge the importance of the development of cricket, we are, nevertheless, firmly of the view that the safety of players in an unsettled environment is of paramount importance."
Well of course. The players can't object to touring Zimbabwe because of moral reasons, because the board wouldn't have it. It was the same with England in the 2003 World Cup, a lot of the players didn't want to go to Zimbabwe but were going to until they received death threats.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
If no one is willing to tour Zimbabwe, what is the point in trying to organise tours there in the first place?
Because the ICC's FTP must be adhered to. I think with the exception of Bangladesh (maybe) no one would want to tour Zimbabwe. Perhaps India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka but I don't see the others going there.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Because the ICC's FTP must be adhered to. I think with the exception of Bangladesh (maybe) no one would want to tour Zimbabwe. Perhaps India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka but I don't see the others going there.
I don’t think South Africa would have any particular qualms about touring Zimbabwe. They also sent a pretty heavy handed, ‘star’ apparent A side to Zim earlier this year…

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I don’t think South Africa would have any particular qualms about touring Zimbabwe. They also sent a pretty heavy handed, ‘star’ apparent A side to Zim earlier this year…
Yeah, I thought of South Africa and didn't mention them because with that I would have come up with half the test playing nations who wouldn't mind touring Zimbabwe. :laugh: In hindsight, I think the Asians and South Africa would tour Zimbabwe: Bangladesh for the experience, Pakistan because they would feel empathetic, India because of the $$$ and Sri Lanka because, well, Sri Lanka may choose not to tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well of course. The players can't object to touring Zimbabwe because of moral reasons, because the board wouldn't have it. It was the same with England in the 2003 World Cup, a lot of the players didn't want to go to Zimbabwe but were going to until they received death threats.
Absolutely... my exact thoughts when I first heard about this.

brockley

International Captain
Sibanda an "aussi" now don't see him in zimbabwe colours again plus a number of their players,word is they are shooting the coup.