• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket....er...what?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A note, never try and impress a girl by talking about cricket. I have expirience of this :p
Have never even tried, TBH. Mine can never understand the thing, nor how I spend so much time watching it.

(She doesn't know how much time I spend posting on it :ph34r: )

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A note, never try and impress a girl by talking about cricket. I have expirience of this :p
My friends think I'm mad when I tell them I've been staying up until 3 AM regularly watching England play Test cricket, even the guys that actually play and enjoy cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think the hardest part about spreading the word on cricket is telling people that a test game lasts all of 5 days....and even then you might not get a result. Thats when i think back and wonder, why on earth do i follow a sport that takes 5 whole days for completion. However, what makes the sport different is that as a bowler, unlike baseball, you are actually legally allowed to hit a batsman on the head or any part of the body. In this day and age it happens a lot less frequently but i honestly like the fact that that is part of the game.

stumpski

International Captain
And yet Americans, who make up many of cricket's detractors, have no problem with their major golf tournaments lasting four days. And the players don't even run!

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
And yet Americans, who make up many of cricket's detractors, have no problem with their major golf tournaments lasting four days. And the players don't even run!
LMAO. The problem with Americans and cricket is that they cannot fathom sport being played without the object of watching it being to find the winner. In short, for the most part, the average person watches sports for the result rather than the process. Cricket is a beautiful game in many ways and (at the risk of sounding elitist) I think the best way to appreciate it's beauty is by being born into it (traditionally).

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
and there is this thing in cricket when a team is losing and still people cheer it - be it for a century or a terrific spell of play. I've seen this in an ODI between Bangladesh and India recently. The Tigers were clearly losing, but the crowd remained cheerful and when Mortaza stroke 4 sixes in a row they simply caught fire.
I loved it. As I said before, cricket is showing that sometimes the result doesn't matter as much as the display of skills. And if it gets to a draw, that's it.

...and even golf goes like that sometimes - there can be lovely shots from sheer losers.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Indeed, not in many sports can you get genuinely pleased despite losing. If you score a 100 or take 10 wickets or something.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No, team should always come before personal achievements...and if you score 400 you probably wont lose (just to be pedantic) ;)
I agree, I'd rather win and get a duck than lose and get a good score, but surely there becomes a point, when no matter how much of a team player you are, you are still pleased at getting a very good score.

Fiery

Banned
I agree, I'd rather win and get a duck than lose and get a good score, but surely there becomes a point, when no matter how much of a team player you are, you are still pleased at getting a very good score.
Yeah that's true to an extent I suppose. However chuffed you are about your own performance you mustn't lead on to your teammates though :nono:

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
lots of wisdom on this thread :)
btw, I have a sister and she's pretty ironic at my new cricket passion, but even she would take a look at the famous Don Bradman clip.
she's 15, i'm 29.