• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think would make a good cricket movie?

The_Bunny

State Regular
Yeah, that too. Kenya only had 2 notable wins (SL who had food-poisoning and Zim who were afflicted by madness - never better exemplified than when Flower and Blignaut dashed for the same end) but they had 2 or 3 other games where they played like a genuine ODI team who could and did compete well.
But Ireland where practically club cricketers, this along with the death of Bob Woolmer (unfortunatly this would almost certainly become a major part of the movie) would give a director much more material to work with imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenya's cricketers backgrounds were infinately more film-worthy than Ireland's. Bob Woolmer's death, too, didn't have any relation to them, really.

As I say - several of the Irish players were SAffies or Aussies who moved over, several are county players who've been brought-up in cricket families, and hardly any have especially remarkable stories.

Kenya's do, however, and not just the most remarkable of all the cases in Aasif Karim.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Kenya's cricketers backgrounds were infinately more film-worthy than Ireland's. Bob Woolmer's death, too, didn't have any relation to them, really.

As I say - several of the Irish players were SAffies or Aussies who moved over, several are county players who've been brought-up in cricket families, and hardly any have especially remarkable stories.

Kenya's do, however, and not just the most remarkable of all the cases in Aasif Karim.
True although I still maintain that Irelands story would have more appeal to the general public but then again I dont know alot about the Kenyan story either:mellow:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I've always thought a mockumentary comedy series about cricket would be awesome. It would be a great opportunity to send up the lifestyles and attitudes of modern cricketers. Tackle arrogance, the confrontations of having a team with so many differeing personalities, sledging and all that. Could follow a successful International Cricket Team, with the focus on the phlight of a young, 18 year old Australian cricketer who shoots to fame after remarkable performances in State Cricket and is all of a sudden thrust into the International limelight. Overall of course there would be the underlying message that all cricketers, regardless of whether they score hundreds or take wickets are human beings too and are just as effected by anything has to say as anyone. They also as humans make many mistakes.
"This is Spinal Bat"..? :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They did something far more notable than Ireland did. Obviously the Lankan food-poisoning and the Kiwi forfeit helped them, but with Ireland it was just one freakish occasion when they somehow managed to outplay a massively superior team. And then won a completely dead game a lot later.

Majin

International Debutant
After reading the book about him written by Leo McKinstry (Geoff Boycott: A cricketing hero), I wouldn't mind watching a film about Fiery Boycott at all. I probably wouldn't have minded watching it even if I hadn't read that, but that book portrays him as this incredibly complex man and some of the events in Boycs life, like his various fallouts with all sorts of people, the England team, the whole court drama he had where he was accused of attacking that woman (name escapes me now and I can't find the book), his battle with cancer, there's just a lot about the man that I find to be fascinating. That and his insane determination and drive to succeed with limited talent and overcoming his weaknesses, I think it'd all make an interesting watch.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
'Boycs and Beefy'

The two cricketers are on tour together in Australia and decide they want to get to know each other better as they feel they have a lot in common and would become good friends. They skip a warmup match against NSW and go on a long road trip to Uluru, finding out on the way that they actually don't have anything in common and they find each other really annoying.

Sitting at the bottom of Uluru and wondering why they came, Beefy falls asleep and some German backpackers steal his 6 pack of beer. Boycs runs after them wielding a cricket bat and decks them round the head, and gets the beer back. Beefy, who woke up in time to see the whole thing, laughs and says it's the only time he's seen Boycs wield a bat in anger. Boycs threatens to deck Beefy as well, but is eventually content with aiming just a few well-chosen but barely coherent insults in his direction. The two still don't really get on, but now have a mutual respect for each other, given everything that they've been through together. They make their merry way back to Sydney, hoping to catch the end of the warmup game (not realising that in their absence, England have played two full test matches and lost them both miserably).

As they make their leisurely way home, they stop off in bars, pick up girls and get into fights, with Boycs' cricket bat being wielded in anger at alarmingly regular intervals. In the course of their trip home, the police catch up with them and there follows an exciting high-speed chase. The police finally catch Boycs and Beefy on Sydney Harbour Bridge, and our intrepid heroes threaten to drive through the safety barriers and off the bridge, ending it all. The Aussie police say they'll drop all charges if England will play a game of cricket against an Australian Police XI. They do, and the police win.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka's World Cup win in 1996 from 66 -1 outsiders to Champs. Thats a brilliant story .

Who would play Ranatunga , Aravinda, Jayasuriya from current hollywood actors?

Don Cheadle to play Sanath Jayasuriya, Wesley Snipes as Aravinda and Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon as Ranatunga.:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
John Goodman tbh.
Too tall IMO compared to Ranatunga... Wahlberg has similar height as does Damon.

Wahlberg facial features are closest , IMO If he can be made to look Tubby he would look a perfect double.

What do you reckon about Don Cheadle and Jayasuriya :)

or Wesley Snipes and Aravinda ?:)