• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Q&A

Piper

International Captain
Pretty simple really.. If you have a question about cricket and you want it answered.. post it here instead of making a thread for it..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am sure if people need a question answered they will be able to find out the answer with either a little bit of research, asking around some members or posting in a related thread. If they don't know the answer after all that, then it's fair enough if they open a thread.

Fiery

Banned
I am sure if people need a question answered they will be able to find out the answer with either a little bit of research, asking around some members or posting in a related thread. If they don't know the answer after all that, then it's fair enough if they open a thread.
Harsh of you to instantly dismiss Piper's idea as "crap" particularly when it's actually quite a good idea considering the amount of actual "crap" threads that are started asking silly questions

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harsh of you to instantly dismiss Piper's idea as "crap" particularly when it's actually quite a good idea considering the amount of actual "crap" threads that are started asking silly questions
But I doubt that Amanda and her holiday in Spain would have found itself a home in this thread, I'm sorry to say. The more talk about libertarianism the better to my mind.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah, decent idea for a thread imo. I'm sure people sometimes have queries about rules etc and a thread like this could prove useful.

Piper

International Captain
Okay first question I guess..
Who has the highest score for their first test? And what was their average when they finished (or at the moment if they are still playing)?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hahah why am I not surprised it was an Aussie..:laugh:
It was also the highest ever test score till then and stood as a record for a test innings till Andy Sandham scored cricket's first triple century more than a quarter of a century later !

It was like someone coming along and scoring 401 on debut today to get past Lara. Cant imagine what kind of a sensation it must have created.

Piper

International Captain
Oh really? Can't see that happening for a long long time.. Maybe even never!
Maybe if we have a player who is part KP/Richards/Ponting/Kallis/Bradman..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was also the highest ever test score till then and stood as a record for a test innings till Andy Sandham scored cricket's first triple century more than a quarter of a century later !

It was like someone coming along and scoring 401 on debut today to get past Lara. Cant imagine what kind of a sensation it must have created.
Well... except that the players in that Sandham game didn't, at the time, think they were playing Test cricket. :mellow:

adharcric

International Coach
Quite sure we've had at least a few threads of this sort in the past and it hasn't stopped random one-offs from new members. No worries though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was sure of that myself, then I heard that they had spliced footage of his bowling form later in the game. I saw a photo which looks like it was over th ewicket, but not 100% sure.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh really? Can't see that happening for a long long time.. Maybe even never!
Maybe if we have a player who is part KP/Richards/Ponting/Kallis/Bradman..
Aha. Only 2 of the five are Aussies here :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was sure of that myself, then I heard that they had spliced footage of his bowling form later in the game. I saw a photo which looks like it was over th ewicket, but not 100% sure.
I have it on a video cassette. Must take it out to check.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was round the wicket

Here is a confirmation.

I quote :

At the Oval Test, Hollies' first ball, bowling round the wicket, was a leg-break, which the batsman played defensively. His second one was a googly. It drew Bradman forward but not far enough to smother the spin. The ball broke in and removed the off bail. Bradman was out! The moment stunned the crowd as well as Bradman.

The Don returned to the pavilion amidst thunderous applause. Hollies who had plotted his fall turned to Jack Young and lamented, "Best ball I I've bowled all season and they are clapping him!" That evening he rang up Dollery and told him triumphantly. "He never saw it, Tom".

A cartoon in The Melbourne Herald next day depicted Hollies as "the prickly fellow who put the zero in Don"! The "Hollies Duck" is one of cricket's amazing noughts. It almost never came about, for, when the invitation to play in the Test arrived, Hollies told Leslie Deakins that he would rather play for Warwickshire since the rubber had already been decided, and playing the Test would mean his missing out on two county games. The county management prevailed upon their homeboy to play in the Test.