• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad of 30 for the World Cup

V Reddy

International Debutant
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) today announced a provisional squad of 30 players for the ICC Cricket World Cup, which begins on Sunday 9 February in Cape Town, South Africa.

A final England squad of 15 players will be announced by Tuesday 31 December.

England 30-man squad:

1. Nasser Hussain (Essex)

2. Marcus Trescothick (Somerset)

3. Nick Knight (Warwickshire)

4. Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire)

5. Owais Shah (Middlesex)

6. Alec Stewart (Surrey)

7. Ronnie Irani (Essex)

8. Paul Collingwood (Durham)

9. Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)

10. Craig White (Yorkshire)

11. Ian Blackwell (Somerset)

12. Jeremy Snape (Leicestershire)

13. Ashley Giles (Warwickshire)

14. Andrew Caddick (Somerset)

15. Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire)

16. James Kirtley (Sussex)

17. Robert Key (Kent)

18. Darren Stevens (Leicestershire)

19. Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire)

20. Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire)

21. Matthew Maynard (Glamorgan)

22. Adam Hollioake (Surrey)

23. Chris Read (Nottinghamshire)

24. Richard Dawson (Yorkshire)

25. Martin Saggers (Kent)

26. Kyle Hogg (Lancashire)

27. Kabir Ali (Worcestershire)

28. Stephen Harmison (Durham)

29. Ryan Sidebottom (Yorkshire)

30. James Anderson (Lancashire)

Nice to see Solanki and Read being selected. I hope they get selected to the main team.

[Edited on 7/12/2002 by vishnureddy]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No Tudor either!

Can't see Solanki, Stevens, Saggers, McGrath, Maynard, Hogg, Sidebottom or Anderson getting anywhere near though!

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Why's Anthony McGrath there?

No Rikki Clarke! :D:D
Well he has impressed alot over the last couple of seasons and now in OD matches he has a batting avg of around 33 and he is a very usful part-time bowler (32 avg)

And Neil look at the squad, I mean every team needs 5 opening batsman :D

Just like to add Congrats to Key and Saggers :D :D :D :D :D

Bazza

International 12th Man
I like the selection of Adam Hollioake. For me he should have been in the side all along, batting at say 6 or 7 and as a 4th or 5th bowler, maybe even sharing some of those overs with a part time guy because he has a tendency to get carted sometimes.

I like the selection of Read also, as it's good to know he is in the selectors' thoughts more than Foster, and promising young bowlers like Ali, Anderson and Hogg.

I don't like the selection of Maynard, who for me is a step backwards. OK going back to Irani seems to have worked out thus far but Maynard isn't international class for me. He's a very good player and can keep (probably better than Trez), but he's too old now. Maybe they feel guilty about not giving him enough of a chance before now? In fact wasn't he in the 1999 squad? Either way can't see him getting in - when's he gonna get a chance to stake a claim?

Also Sidebottom I don't rate.

Jury's still out on McGrath, Solanki and Stevens. All talented players but international class? I'm not sure. Maybe they should be given a chance next year or something but too late for the WC for them.

Saggers is an interesting one - didn't debut until 24, but has had an excellent career domestically, FC average 22 and List A average 24. Those stats are better than most players in England, including Caddick, Gough and Hoggard (of course those guys' averages will be inflated slightly due to their international averages, but still...) but certainly at 30 I think he will miss out and ultimately get overlooked for the likes of Jones, Harmison, Ali, Anderson, Hogg et al in the coming year.

The rest were pretty much to be expected I think....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Irani could be a candidate for the number 3 spot - certainly a team boasting a middle order of him, Flintoff, Hollioake would be very nice IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hollioake has everything to play for.

Concerning Saggers, England need experience of any kind in the bowling department so he may be useful.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo

Saggers is an interesting one - didn't debut until 24, but has had an excellent career domestically, FC average 22 and List A average 24. Those stats are better than most players in England, including Caddick, Gough and Hoggard (of course those guys' averages will be inflated slightly due to their international averages, but still...) but certainly at 30 I think he will miss out and ultimately get overlooked for the likes of Jones, Harmison, Ali, Anderson, Hogg et al in the coming year.

The rest were pretty much to be expected I think....
What you have to remember is Jones won't be there... his out until at least May (I think was the last date mentioned)

With Gough out as well, the attack is looking weaken and they need cover, and someone with experiance and proven ablity, needs to be there... iam all for up and coming players, but surly it's only right to have experiance players there as well, you don't want to be going into the opening game of the WC with 3-4 bowlers who have never played ODI's before, and only limited experiance of OD games in general.

And like you have said the guy has outperformed himself season after season in the domestic game and his performances should be rewarded...

Also it gives others hope, I mean how would you feel, if you was playing for a county knowing that the best bowler in England (and by quite a long way as well) isn't even being considered... then what's the point in you playing at all.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With Gough out as well, the attack is looking weaken and they need cover, and someone with experiance and proven ablity, needs to be there... iam all for up and coming players, but surly it's only right to have experiance players there as well, you don't want to be going into the opening game of the WC with 3-4 bowlers who have never played ODI's before, and only limited experiance of OD games in general.
So surely lack of experience in Internationals counts against Saggers then?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neither McGrath's batting nor his bowling are International class - he'll just get panned. However, I'm delighted that Surrey players are deservedly marginalised.

Maynard has been in superb form this season and has never been properly recognised, he fully merits a place in the 30 (but he won't be in the 15).

It's good to see Hogg, Anderson et al in the selectors' minds, above Tudor too :D (and Corky..)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it bizarre that Rikki Clarke was selected to go to Australia, but now he doesn't even make the top 30?

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
So surely lack of experience in Internationals counts against Saggers then?
Yes International... but what I mean (might not have put it right earlier) is that Saggers has experiance gain through playing season after season of OD'ers for Kent, so understands the OD game and has developed his own game to it (Slower balls, cope under pressure etc) whereas players like Hogg, Anderson etc haven't had this luxary...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Tim
I find it bizarre that Rikki Clarke was selected to go to Australia, but now he doesn't even make the top 30?
He was only selected to go with the Academy, not to play for the full side (yet, there's still time for at least another 6 to pull out with injuries) I guess he's not performed at the National Academy (or been found out as not actually being that good?)

More bizarrely, Batty of Worcester isn't in that 30, but has just been called up to the VB squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes International... but what I mean (might not have put it right earlier) is that Saggers has experiance gain through playing season after season of OD'ers for Kent, so understands the OD game and has developed his own game to it (Slower balls, cope under pressure etc) whereas players like Hogg, Anderson etc haven't had this luxary...
I see, but in all honesty, the selectors are just paying lip service to the likes of Saggers, Hogg, Anderson etc.

chris.hinton

International Captain
well that 30 man squad is just ****e

Mine would be youthful and EX)

Mine is this

Hussain
Trescothick
Vaughan
Stewart
Irani
Collingwood
Blackwell
Flintoff
Key
Turnell
Hoggard
Caddick
Kirkley
Knight
Kabir Ali
Kadder Ali
Solanki
Smith
Giles
Anderson
Sheryahat
Foster
Bell
Troughton
Golding
Lawson
Clarke
Fellows
Shah
Rampakash

I would not Pick batty,Snape or Harmison

thethirdumpire

Cricket Spectator
Ramprakash wtf have ya picked him for he lets us down time after time. Pretty happy with the team they picked cept Sidebottom who is lucky to get a game for Yorkshire

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd have to disagree with some of those Chris - and with your obvious Worcester bias you haven't selected Hick?