• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You couldn't make it up!!!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Marc you said the last few bowlers, but Simon Brown played in 1996. Many bowlers have debuted since then. Next you'll be digging up Mike Smith....:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Marc you said the last few bowlers, but Simon Brown played in 1996. Many bowlers have debuted since then. Next you'll be digging up Mike Smith....:rolleyes:
Jonathon Taylor, formerly of Northants...Tim Munton (who I saw on the news, last night, and I can't remember why) of Warwickshire and Derbyshire...Paul Jarvis of Yorkshire and Somerset...and hopefully Alex Turdor of Surrey :lol:

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Back on topic - guess what, we've another injury - Caddick!
I am losing track ! could someone post the injury list so that we can fully recognize this calamity ridden squad ?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Back on topic - guess what, we've another injury - Caddick!
I am losing track ! could someone post the injury list so that we can fully recognize this calamity ridden squad ?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gotchya
Well this is a list I've made up from what I know:

Darren Gough - Knee
Simon Jones - Knee
Andrew Caddick - Back/Knee
Chris Silverwood - Ankle
Ashley Giles - Broken Wrist
Andrew Flintoff - Recovering From a Hernia Op
Michael Vaughan - Knee
Jeremy Snap - Broken Thumb
John Crawley - Hip

Nasser Hussain had a Thigh Injury which caused him to miss the Match against the PM's XI and Graham Thorpe was not Mentally Fit To Tour.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Like i said earlier, its almost impossible to have a fully fit English team.

I wonder if its a some kind of a record, so many injuries in one tour, what a sick joke it is:(!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Not too long ago, NZ had their problems too.
Yeas and even India had THEIR problems when Sachin and Khan were out with injuries but the situation wasn't as hopless as the one in which England is right now.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
No, I think NZ had about as many injuries if not more at that time.
Not as many, though 4-5 were injured BUT that problem wasn't long standing, the time duration is a key factor to England's miseries.Afterall they have been suffereing from it from well before this series

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik

Darren Gough - Knee
Simon Jones - Knee
Andrew Caddick - Back/Knee
Chris Silverwood - Ankle
Ashley Giles - Broken Wrist
Andrew Flintoff - Recovering From a Hernia Op
Michael Vaughan - Knee
Jeremy Snap - Broken Thumb
John Crawley - Hip

Nasser Hussain had a Thigh Injury which caused him to miss the Match against the PM's XI and Graham Thorpe was not Mentally Fit To Tour.
Let's have a good look at the list and see why they are injured. Poor technique would account for Crawley, Snape and Giles as they were hit by balls that they shouldn't have.

Knees and backs can go on players at any time but largely due to wear and tear. Caddick is old so his back should be playing up by now. Gough has done a lot of bowling but with Vaughan it must be just one of those things. The JOnes injury came down to bad fielding technique.

Flintoff should have recovered from his op earlier than now. Look at Murali. He only just had his op and will be back in teh new year.

Thorpe has never shown much mental strength against Australia. On the last tour of England he was out of many tests due to a broken finger. He wasn;t too keen on coming back. Steve Waugh had a busted leg and came back to hit 150*. That's the mental difference between two quality no 5 batsmen.

zTHis might sound a bit harsh but I look at the Aussies who have only had Gillespie (fragile body) injured over the same period and they have played more matches in recent time than England (Sri Lanka and Sharjah). Why the huge difference? It must come down to inferior coaching and fitness.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Nice work argonaut, you have a knack of putting things into perspective :)

That injury list I must confess is crippling. However, I have said earlier that this is the ideal excuse for pushing in good young players.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing with Thorpe though is that he averages nearly 50 with the bat against Australia...we don't need our best batsman against Australia and lately, against anyone, shying away from playing. Luckly Vaughan and Trescothick have been in good enough form along with Butcher and Hussain in the last year to take people's minds off Thorpe's mental problems...

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Fanie wants some answers?

by Fanie De Villiers

Watching the English injury list growing is akin to reading the casualty list from the Battle of the Somme. The blame for the disasters of July 1st 1916 was placed firmly on the shoulders of incompetent generals, and brave, but poorly trained troops. Who, or what, is to blame for the disaster down under?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, nobody has had the problems NZ have had with injuries.

We've had ours over a period of 3 years and it was at its worst in South Africa & Australia.

Unlike England or India, NZ has only 120 first class players and to have your best players constantly breaking down, coming back then breaking down is a nightmare.

We've learned to deal with injuries to some degree because we've managed to grow our list of players capable of playing international cricket by a long way.

wahindiawah

Banned
Originally posted by Tim
Ok, nobody has had the problems NZ have had with injuries.

We've had ours over a period of 3 years and it was at its worst in South Africa & Australia.

Unlike England or India, NZ has only 120 first class players and to have your best players constantly breaking down, coming back then breaking down is a nightmare.

We've learned to deal with injuries to some degree because we've managed to grow our list of players capable of playing international cricket by a long way.
Then lets hope that England too overcome their problems!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by jaspalsinghrana
by Fanie De Villiers

Watching the English injury list growing is akin to reading the casualty list from the Battle of the Somme. The blame for the disasters of July 1st 1916 was placed firmly on the shoulders of incompetent generals, and brave, but poorly trained troops. Who, or what, is to blame for the disaster down under?
Don't compare war and Cricket...:(!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Argonaut what are you on about? Broken fingers, thumbs, hands happen all the time. All it takes is for one ball to bounce significantly more than the norm and bang! Poor technique is not necessarily to blame, same with Crawley.

Jones - poor fielding technique? What is that? He did a normal slide to allow him to pick up the ball and get a throw away quickly, and his studs caught in the ground causing his knee to twist and bend in the wrong direction. How is that poor technique? If anything his technique was excellent and his commitment unquestionable. He got unlucky plain and simple.

Finally Thorpe is one of the best batsman of this generation. He has averaged 50+ since a self imposed break 3 years ago, and is unbelievably consistent. How some people consider him overrated is beyond me. Hopefully that fact about recent performances (when he was supposedly affected by personal problems) shows how pivotal to us he has been. And how you expect him to play when he can't hold a cricket bat, well even Thorpey wouldn't be much good in that state...:duh:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Jones - poor fielding technique? What is that? He did a normal slide to allow him to pick up the ball and get a throw away quickly, and his studs caught in the ground causing his knee to twist and bend in the wrong direction. How is that poor technique? If anything his technique was excellent and his commitment unquestionable. He got unlucky plain and simple.

Finally Thorpe is one of the best batsman of this generation. He has averaged 50+ since a self imposed break 3 years ago, and is unbelievably consistent. How some people consider him overrated is beyond me. Hopefully that fact about recent performances (when he was supposedly affected by personal problems) shows how pivotal to us he has been. And how you expect him to play when he can't hold a cricket bat, well even Thorpey wouldn't be much good in that state...:duh:
Why not question Jones's technique? A slide is meant to be a slide. The GAbba has one of the truest surfaces of any cricket ground in the world. The sprigs would only have dug in if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I most certainly was not having a go at his commitment. If anything his overenthusiasm may have contributed.

I also did not question Thorpe's batting ability. Maybe he was trying to maintain his good average against Australia. I just commented that he was in no rush to come back from a broken finger where Steve Waugh missed one test with a much more severe injury in the same series.