• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shirt Numbers

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Made the connection with Rodman because of the whole bad behaviour, tough guy stance that Warne takes/took. My mistake.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Hanse Cronje wore the number 5 which is why no SAfrican wears 5 now but wear 05 and 5+0

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All the captains were 1 in the 99 World Cup, and the rest of the squad were numbered alphabetically by family name I think.
Uh uh uh. Cronje was 5 for SA, who did theirs broadly in batting order (a year earlier Symcox had been described as "eccentric" for having 77 - how times have changed!)

Ie, Kirsten 1, Gibbs 2, Kallis 3, Cullinan 4, Cronje 5... but then Rhodes had to go and take 8. :mellow:

And as for the other teams, some may have had a strategy (IIRR Enland might have been alphabetical other than Stewart the captain being 1) but I think some were simply random.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hanse Cronje wore the number 5 which is why no SAfrican wears 5 now but wear 05 and 5+0
Prince wanted to be 5, but was told the shirt had been retired.

He copied the tactic of using a + off Ivan Zamorano, who had been 9 for Internazionale Milan for many years, but had it stolen from him when Roberto Baggio moved to the club, taking the 10 shirt from Ronaldo, who then took the 9 from Zamorano. Zamorano, naturally, became 1+8, so in effect kept the same number.

pug20g

Cricket Spectator
Warne's Shirt Number

Made the connection with Rodman because of the whole bad behaviour, tough guy stance that Warne takes/took. My mistake.
From what I can remember, Shane was a not only a fan of Jordon (best of the best), but they were also both Nike sponsored/reps.

Cheers