• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unusual home schedule announced

Craig

World Traveller
:cool: I like it. India may actually win one or two, if that were the case (I still wouldn't hold my breath..WA > India). Full blown six month tours with like 20 games, with six full Tests included. Now that would me my dream.

Alas, 0% chance of anything remotely approaching that happening. I like the idea of warmups too. You see outside teams struggle in India for the first couple tests, before becoming used to the conditions and put up a much better fight later on but by that time the series is usually lost. Same thing happens to teams from the subcontinent who travel out (except they never get to the 'more of a fight' part). More practice games would lead to a higher quality of cricket IMO.
Also I never understand the logic of playing a FC match away from where the first Test venue, especially in Australia where the weather differs from each city. For example in late October/November it can be very humid if the wind blows the right direction (I think a north easterly) in Brisbane, but it wouldn't the same in Adelaide or Perth where the wickets are different and again it is more of a dry heat, so that is a factor.

Have India ever played a 6-Test series against anyone other than Pakistan?

I thought 6-Test series were exclusive brainchilds of the 1970s Australia and 1980s and 1990s England?
England? Australia? Might have against the West Indies, but I'm not sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm pretty certain India have never played a 6-Tester against either, may be wrong. I do seem to recall them playing one against West Indies, possibly in 1983\84, now I think about it though...

Craig

World Traveller
I'm pretty certain India have never played a 6-Tester against either, may be wrong. I do seem to recall them playing one against West Indies, possibly in 1983\84, now I think about it though...
Where's Hakon when you need him?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
They did - got walloped 3-0 - and I think the 1981-82 series v England was six Tests - the one that bored Goochie so much it probably encouraged him to take the rand and go to SA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, my word...

6-Test series in the subcontinent at that time did tend to be a touch on the :bored::yawn: side.

What'd be more interesting was - have India ever played a 6-Tester outside the subcontinent?

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, my word...

6-Test series in the subcontinent at that time did tend to be a touch on the :bored::yawn: side.

What'd be more interesting was - have India ever played a 6-Tester away?
1982/83 in Pakistan. Pakistan won 3-0.

Perm

Then no, that was the only 6 Test series India have played away from home. They've played four at home, and won all four of them.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Why only 2 tests vs SL ? It was 2 in july 2004, thats not enough, we need 3. 2 offers a high chance of a draw...

Anyway great to see Hobart get a test too, they deserve one test each year IMO

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why only 2 tests vs SL ? It was 2 in july 2004, thats not enough, we need 3. 2 offers a high chance of a draw...

Against Australia, 2 Tests offers a high chance of a 2-0 whitewash. :laugh: Against almost any other country, your statement is true.

Matt79

Global Moderator
THey probably don't think there's sufficient interest to justify a test at a big ground when they could have India there instead. 2-0 still far and away the most likely scoreline tbh...

Perm

Sri Lanka are hardly a big crowd attraction, unlike India. They do have a few stars but if I had to pay money to see either of those sides play a Test against Australia, I'd much rather pay for India and I'm sure most of the Australian public will agree.

Perm

Also 2 is probably to encourage Murali to tour Australia too lol
I seriously doubt whether they would have settled on a number of Test matches just to suit a particular player, no matter how many wickets he has taken :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately we know there are those types abounding.

Mongrels, the whole lot of them, TBH.