• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is KP worthy of No.1 title?

open365

International Vice-Captain
He's short sighted because he blames his exclusion from the side on racism on not on the fact that he just was not good enough at the time. It's easy for him to blame his circumstance on the quota system, because his ego will never in a trillion years allow him to admit he just was not good enough.
Do you have any proof of this? Do you even know what happened?

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
So Tsolekile played why, exactly? Please don't attempt to suggest that it was because anyone thought he was actually good enough.
De Villiers had not made his debut yet, so yes, Tsolikile was the next chioce for a keeper... So what if it had been the Titans keeper, or the Eagles' keeper... they're white, would it have made a difference then? Of course not, because the fact remains, Boucher and De Villiers are South Africa's two best keepers, and guess what? They're both in the current SA squad.

Tsolikile? No where to be seen... strange that... I thought quotas benifitted the black players...

open365

De Villiers had not made his debut yet, so yes, Tsolikile was the next chioce for a keeper... So what if it had been the Titans keeper, or the Eagles' keeper... they're white, would it have made a difference then? Of course not, because the fact remains, Boucher and De Villiers are South Africa's two best keepers, and guess what? They're both in the current SA squad.

Tsolikile? No where to be seen... strange that... I thought quotas benifitted the black players...
No by kicking out white players for black ones they benefit aleins.

8-)

Face the facts, racial quotas are racist and benefit black people, arguing against it is impossible as that's the whole point of the quota.

And yes, i read it in his autobiography, not the most un bias source i agree but the way he was treated by the head of the cricket board at the time shows how bad the system is.

And on another level, i know he ahs a big ego, but not in my wildest dreams could i imagine KP moving country just because he got dropped for one game, the risk he took to leave clearly show in my view that he believed he had been harshly treated.

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Tbf, do you?
He was excluded from his provincial team and was told it was due to the constraints of the quota system, despite the fact that only three players of colour made the final Xl. He was brought to England by Clive Rice where he was encouraged to sign as a KOLPAK player... a system which only benefits the English and in some instances Australians (but to a much lesser degree).

adharcric

International Coach
He was excluded from his provincial team and was told it was due to the constraints of the quota system, despite the fact that only three players of colour made the final Xl. He was brought to England by Clive Rice where he was encouraged to sign as a KOLPAK player... a system which only benefits the English and in some instances Australians (but to a much lesser degree).
1. Don't put my words in his mouth.
2. I wasn't talking to you.

:)

EDIT: :mad:

Last edited:

open365

:laugh: :laugh:

So your saying the quota system doesn't effect talented young white cricketers eh?

Good luck with that

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
And on another level, i know he ahs a big ego, but not in my wildest dreams could i imagine KP moving country just because he got dropped for one game, the risk he took to leave clearly show in my view that he believed he had been harshly treated.
Then why on earth are there so many white players in the domestic setup? Surely they too would be on the first plane to England?

To be honest, I think far too much has been read into the quota system. It's a complete over reaction to a system which was put in place to promote a smooth transition from being a "white dominated" sport, to being a sport which reflect the true nature of the South African population. It does not serve as an "anti white" or a "pro black" political triumph, it serves as an oppertunity to mix the two to find the balance... yes, it's contreversial, but it is nessesary, and people outside South Africa should not be as quick to judge it without considering all the facts regarding the exceptional situation in South Africa...

I can see us agreeing to disagree, but what I would love to see is the ICC implementing a FIFA type rule which bans any government interferance in the sport, which at the moment, would completely exclude Zimbabwe, South Africa, West Indies and probally India...

Hey, if this subject is too contreversial, I could discuss my views on HIV / AIDS... I bet that would raise a few eyebrows...:happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It happened with Anderw Strauss, (who I think is England's Best opening batter). He had amazing series against New Zealand and South Africa, but you'll be surprised how many English people I speak to feel that the England team would be better without Strauss in thier lineup, despite the fact that he still has a high average, and captained them to a couple of test wins...
You what?

Since when has that happened, or are you just out to stir things with pointless comments?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't care about "Goughy" quiet frankly, I get upset when all people see wrong with SA cricket is the quota system, and I don't care if I stand alone on this issue, I strongly believe that every player in South Africa's World Cup squad deserves to be there... I felt Dippenaar lost out, but he lost out to de Villiers... a white player...
So you'll no doubt explain Bosman's place in the 15 for us now then?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh yes, he was so ahead of his time that he signed as a Kolpak player before the Kolpak rule even existed 8-)

open365

Then why on earth are there so many white players in the domestic setup? Surely they too would be on the first plane to England?

To be honest, I think far too much has been read into the quota system. It's a complete over reaction to a system which was put in place to promote a smooth transition from being a "white dominated" sport, to being a sport which reflect the true nature of the South African population. It does not serve as an "anti white" or a "pro black" political triumph, it serves as an oppertunity to mix the two to find the balance... yes, it's contreversial, but it is nessesary, and people outside South Africa should not be as quick to judge it without considering all the facts regarding the exceptional situation in South Africa...

I can see us agreeing to disagree, but what I would love to see is the ICC implementing a FIFA type rule which bans any government interferance in the sport, which at the moment, would completely exclude Zimbabwe, South Africa, West Indies and probally India...

Hey, if this subject is too contreversial, I could discuss my views on HIV / AIDS... I bet that would raise a few eyebrows...:happy:
Because a quota system isn't going to exterminate every white player in the country is it?

I don't believe any racist policy is the neccessary solution in any walk of life, how putting black players over white players into your domestic and national team makes a positive impact i'll never know.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

So Tsolekile played why, exactly?

pup11

International Coach
KP is certainly a very good player but i just can't understand what he has done to be ahead of Ponting in the rankings, i mean Kevin scored 80 odd runs in the 1st CB Series game then he was out of the rest of the tournament.

Then in the WC he has scored 40's, 50's, 60's against most of the sides before his century against Australia,but by no means he has scored more runs than Ponting so i don't think his ranking as no.1 is justified.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
"Racial quotas aren't there to force every white player out of the side, having examples of 3 white players in the South African side as proof that quotas aren't influencing the system is ridiculous."
Who invented these quotas in the first place? That is such an awful idea, you should pick a side based on your best players and not feel abliged to pick people from different ethnic backgrounds.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who invented these quotas in the first place? That is such an awful idea, you should pick a side based on your best players and not feel abliged to pick people from different ethnic backgrounds.
I assume that the quota system was introduced not long after apartheid was abolished, although someone more knowledgeable about the subject could probably correct me.