• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Afro-Asian Cup

cricman

International 12th Man
What about his 101 vs Australia, or his 84 vs South Africa, or his 3 Test centuries? It's folly to say that Ashraful hasn't done anything when quite clearly he has, just not consistently enough.
Talking about Nafees in ODI's, sorry should of made it clearer

LA ICE-E

State Captain
This event is Sad it's going to be 12 South Africans along with Tikolo, and maybe Taylor from Zimbabwe vs an Asian XI.

Asian XI will win easily just, unless the BCCI makes them play in those Flat Track Heavens, the Asian Side will have spinners the African side will have 1 spinner in Prosper Utseya
No this is a fund raiser and the selectors have to pick from all test teams. But I think I wouldn't be a bad idea to give the best players from teams like afganstan and nepal; namibia and uganda a chance since this to help them. So make an even contest, but only I don't think fund raisers should be ODI's, it should EDI's

cricman

International 12th Man
I think Sri lanka should get 6 players, India(the Big 3?) Pakistan(Can only think of Yousef) and Bangladesh should get 3 players each.

My 3 representing Bangladesh would be Mashrafe, Ashraful and Rafique

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Sri lanka should get 6 players, India(the Big 3?) Pakistan(Can only think of Yousef) and Bangladesh should get 3 players each.

My 3 representing Bangladesh would be Mashrafe, Ashraful and Rafique
Why have a certain quota of players from each side? Just pick the best 15 aslong as each country has a representative.

cricman

International 12th Man
Africa 15 Named

Graeme Smith (captain) - South Africa
Steve Tikolo (vice-captain) - Kenya
Johan Botha - South Africa
Mark Boucher - South Africa
Elton Chigumbura - Zimbabwe
AB de Villiers - South Africa
Herschelle Gibbs - South Africa
Andrew Hall - South Africa
Jacques Kallis - South Africa
Makhaya Ntini - South Africa
Thomas Odoyo - Kenya
Peter Ongondo - Kenya
Shaun Pollock - South Africa
Vusi Sibanda - Zimbabwe
Hiren Varaiya - Kenya

Last edited:

Perm

The XI may aswell be South Africa plus a token Kenyan and Zimbabwean, these events would have far more credability if Africa as a whole had a higher standard of cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Chance to get him back playing some top class cricket, he hasn't been back that long from his suspension.
Nel, Steyn, Harris, Kemp et cetera will all be on county duty so Botha is presumably in the 15 due to that reasoning. Although, Johan is also leading the South African High Performance side this summer in Australia so perversely (and wrongly) someone still rates him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Edit- Hall according to cricman is in the 15.

I would be very surprised however, if most of the South African selected side turned up. I believe last time a few notable players dropped out.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The XI may aswell be South Africa plus a token Kenyan and Zimbabwean, these events would have far more credability if Africa as a whole had a higher standard of cricket.
It is a fund raiser, so I think they should go as far as getting Ugandan and Tanzanians in the team with Asia getting Afghani and Nepalis in the team, it would give them to play in the big lite with big players but would still be a evenly matched teams.So I think these fund raiser games should be play with teams with quota's for each top associates.

Perm

It is a fund raiser, so I think they should go as far as getting Ugandan and Tanzanians in the team with Asia getting Afghani and Nepalis in the team, it would give them to play in the big lite with big players but would still be a evenly matched teams.So I think these fund raiser games should be play with teams with quota's for each top associates.
I'd be against it being called an ODI if that was going to happen.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I'd be against it being called an ODI if that was going to happen.
well the icc needs to come up with a different status for these kind of things such as exhibition status or all star status and hype it up a little bit so people take it seriously. I'm against giving odi and test status to games not involving national teams now but they are still doing it so i rather they get the others involved then too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was more thinking of Odoyo and Ongondo, who are good players for Kenya but wouldn't make an Africa XV if they were picking it on strength, whereas Tikolo would.
I'm not so sure Tikolo would to be honest - certainly I'd only think of putting him in as the token selection nowadays.