Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How good an ODI batsman was Inzamam?

How good an ODI batsman was Inzamam?

Pretty simple really, where do you rank him among a list of all time ODI great batsmen.

And what do you reckon were his peak years?

Same questions for Saeed Anwar.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    He did score almost 12k runs, and an average just below 40, so he was an excellent ODI player. His running between the wickets hurt him in the shorter form of the game, but he was still an excellent calming influence in the middle order. I'd put him around 5-10 in terms of all time ODI players.

Saeed Anwar is a bit of a different story, because though his record was good, I still would take a couple others over him. In Tests, he was a good opener (especially compared to other openers that Pakistan and India have had since), but in ODIs I prefer Ganguly and Jayasurya above Anwar.

In Tests, he was clearly the best out of the three. Overall, Inzamam was better in both Tests and ODIs IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Inzamam-ul-Haq was one of the best middle-order ODI batsmen of the modern era.

Able to play in just about any way demanded by any situation, he scored runs at a far better rate and quantity than most ever managed.

Had Tendulkar batted in the middle-order more often I think he'd probably have outdone him, but as it is I can't think of too many better middle-order batsmen since 1990. Neil Fairbrother and 1 or 2 others come close, of course.

This is, obviously, discounting Michael Bevan who was head-and-shoulders above everyone else.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Saeed Anwar is a bit of a different story, because though his record was good, I still would take a couple others over him.
    You ARE joking, aren't you?

Ganguly maybe, but Jayasuriya? SRs pretty similar, Anwar's average was a good 5 points higher than Jayasuriya's.

Oh, hang on, I forget... ss and ODIs don't mix.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You ARE joking, aren't you?

Ganguly maybe, but Jayasuriya? SRs pretty similar, Anwar's average was a good 5 points higher than Jayasuriya's.

Oh, hang on, I forget... ss and ODIs don't mix.
    Yea, you wouldn't be wrong if you just ignore everything I say about ODIs. I have no defense for Jayasurya > Anwar in ODI, just who I think is better. Also, five points of average doesn't exactly mean all that much, depending on other factors. Look at Lara vs Dravid.

Dravid and Lara is an interesting one IMO - and there's not a hell of a lot to decide them. Lara often wins out on that absurd "the more dominant player must be the better" thing I've mentioned a few times.

Anyhoo - no, 5 points on average doesn't automatically mean everything, but if you break it down you'll see there are broad truths that apply to both. Anwar was probably a better defensive player, mind.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Right now he comes at about the top of the heap for Pakistani one day batsmen. Anwar and Miandad come right after Inzi, but I feel by the end of his career Yousuf will surpass them all.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

but in ODIs I prefer Ganguly and Jayasurya above Anwar.IMO.
    Jayasuria is an excellent one day player, maybe he is past his now. But he can open the batting, take advantage of the power plays and go on to make hundreds. Just look at this world cup. He is second in the list of most ODI 100's. Plus he has taken nearly 400 ODI wickets. He is the ULTIMATE ODI player.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    If there was one batsman who was totally unconcerned about the reputaion of the bowler he was facing it was Inzy. In fact the better the bowler the better he batted.

If there was one batsman who was totally unfazed (and looked it) by the dire condition of his team in the match, it was Inzy. He seemed to thrive in crisis situation.

If there was one batsman who could judge the game situation and go about as if he knew exactly what was required (including the most effortless changing of gears ever) it was Inzy.

If there was one batsman who never ever looked anything less than effortlessly imperial at the wicket it was Inzy.

No, I have no doubt whatsoever that he was one of the finest (and relatively most under-rated) one day batsman ever. The only blot was his runningt between the wickets. That too not because he was slow but because he couldnt be rushed with a bat in hand.

I think Inzamam is one of the ten best ODI batsmen ever personally. I don't have a dead-set top ten, but he'd be in there with Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Michael Bevan, Mark Waugh, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Saeed Anwar etc. Terrific batsman Inzamam... I hope he isn't forgotten because although Mohammad Yousuf may pass him, I don't think Pakistan has had a better batsman in either form of the game (with the exception of maybe Miandad in Tests).

If there was one batsman who was totally unconcerned about the reputaion of the bowler he was facing it was Inzy. In fact the better the bowler the better he batted.
    I don't entirely agree with that. Inzamam struggled against Warne in ODI's a lot IIRC. Warne has gotten him many times and if I recall Inzi looked a bit tentative an uncertain how to play him.

Inzi was a great player IMO...for ODIs...he sort of reminds me of Lara....inzi was the captain of a young developing side...and he had most of the responsibilty and he stood up well...ill remember him for that TBH...he did especially well aginst india in those historical serieses!

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    One thing against Inzy is the accusation that he doesn't perform in big tournaments, an article before the WC highlighted Inzy's terrible record in tournaments and finals which is something that should be taken into consideration when rating him imo, especialy as players like Lara and Hayden have to deal with it anytime their name is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    I think Inzamam is one of the ten best ODI batsmen ever personally. I don't have a dead-set top ten, but he'd be in there with Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Michael Bevan, Mark Waugh, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Saeed Anwar etc.
    To compare him to Richards and Jones (not to mention Zaheer Abbas) is utterly fruitless IMO.

It'd be like comparing WG to Barrington.

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    One thing against Inzy is the accusation that he doesn't perform in big tournaments, an article before the WC highlighted Inzy's terrible record in tournaments and finals which is something that should be taken into consideration when rating him imo, especialy as players like Lara and Hayden have to deal with it anytime their name is mentioned.
    Nonsense, that, IMO. Pakistan's most recent WC barely got going, so that counts for virtually nothing; and obviously he was poor in WC2003, which, purely and simply, can happen. But there was little wrong with his play in 3 out of 4 WCs, his first 3 being acceptible enough.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post

If there was one batsman who was totally unfazed (and looked it) by the dire condition of his team in the match, it was Inzy. He seemed to thrive in crisis situation.

If there was one batsman who could judge the game situation and go about as if he knew exactly what was required (including the most effortless changing of gears ever) it was Inzy.

If there was one batsman who never ever looked anything less than effortlessly imperial at the wicket it was Inzy.

No, I have no doubt whatsoever that he was one of the finest (and relatively most under-rated) one day batsman ever. The only blot was his runningt between the wickets. That too not because he was slow but because he couldnt be rushed with a bat in hand.
    Ditto.
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information