• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumble announces ODI retirement

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd rate Kumble better in tests and both about the same in ODI's. Harbhajan has really turned into an average bowler IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is more than the non-Warne/Murali spinners over the past decade or so.
Absolutely - MacGill has bowled wristspin better than most people ever will. BUT that has still not made him a particularly effective bowler. A decent seamer will always be a far better bet.
Exactly.For all MacGill's supposed faults he has an excellent record that not to many other spinners have.He's just been very unlucky that Warne was Australia's premier spinner and the fact that Warne and MacGill didn't play much together.
But this is what annoys me. It's very, very unlikely MacGill would have amounted to much had he played in a different era to Warne, because he'd have played far more games, and would most likely IMO have ended-up with a record more akin to Jim Higgs than Richie Benaud. Possibly not even that good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Danish Kaneria
Mushtaq Ahmed
Stuart MacGill
There is absolutely no way that MacGill is better than Kumble, and Mushtaq\Kaneria have always been on\off bowlers - Kumble has generally been very consistent - if the pitch is receptive to spin, you can usually bank on him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd rate Kumble better in tests and both about the same in ODI's. Harbhajan has really turned into an average bowler IMO.
No, Kumble has turned into an average ODI bowler. Harbhajan started off iffily (not that unusual) and has been excellent for the last 4 or 5 years.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
No, Kumble has turned into an average ODI bowler. Harbhajan started off iffily (not that unusual) and has been excellent for the last 4 or 5 years.
Yes,but Harbhajan really hasn't been all that good for the past 1-2 years in ODI's TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Course he has! He's had an iffy last 10 games or so, true, but I'm more than confident he'll recover from that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely - MacGill has bowled wristspin better than most people ever will. BUT that has still not made him a particularly effective bowler. A decent seamer will always be a far better bet.

Not sure I agree with that TBH.He has been pretty effective at test match level and a good leg spinner which MacGill is is going to take wickets even though it might cost him a few runs.I'd rather have an erratic but wicket taking leggie to an alright seamer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure I agree with that TBH.He has been pretty effective at test match level and a good leg spinner which MacGill is is going to take wickets even though it might cost him a few runs.I'd rather have an erratic but wicket taking leggie to an alright seamer.
MacGill has not often taken wickets - just the odd game here and there.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
MacGill has not often taken wickets - just the odd game here and there.
How come MacGill has a better strikerate and a higher wickets to games ratio than Warne?.MacGill is a wicket taker but is just not got the accuracy of a Warne.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How come MacGill has a better strikerate and a higher wickets to games ratio than Warne?.MacGill is a wicket taker but is just not got the accuracy of a Warne.
Get rid of Bangladesh and that ludicrous World XI for starters, then you've got his proper Test record.

Then look at a match-by-match breakdown and see how many games he's actually been poor in. Way, WAAAAY more than he's been good in.