• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think its high time India took the initiative and appointed two or even three seperate separate coaches. Batting, bowling and fielding are literally 3 different sports under a single umbrella.

Appoint a new captain, take the lead of South Africa who appointed the inexperienced Graeme Smith to tide them over the twin crises of the post-Cronje hangover and 2003 World Cup disaster. Sometimes it helps an awful lot if your captain has a clear vision, not being party to past disasters.

R_D

International Debutant
Well... might it not be a good idea just to not have got rid of Wright ITFP?

Can't really expect him to come back there.

I'd imagine the first thing Greg Chappell will be thinking of is how to retain his life, though... :mellow:
You are fuking idiot mate there is no need for bull**** like that, i'm just as horrified by Bob Woolmer's death but no need for comments like these.

adharcric

International Coach
I like Chappell as a coach, and I don't think an ODI tournament should decide on the future. We have an important away season coming up in England and Australia, and I'd wait for that. We did win for the first time since 1971 in WI and we won for the first time ever in SA. Counts for something, even though we crumbled in the 2nd and 3rd test.

I don't think its really Chappells fault, and its really our batting lineup that needs to be revamped almost entirely. Ultimately though, he is the coach and has the responsibility. He has to show signs of improvement in England and Australia.
Agreed. Chappell must be held partially accountable for India's failure in the World Cup, but he should get an extension through the tour of England IMO. Doubtful though.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Public? Even on this board, when Chappell said something to the effect of 'stop fooling around on cell phones and get to work', certain Indian members took issues with the coach and not the players. That was so completely ridiculous to me that a coach can't do something simple as yell at players for not putting enough effort without it being a front page story.
Ridiculous indeed. In fact, the Indian media (probably the worst in the world) is a contributor to the **** state of Indian cricket today. Players built up as demigods, extreme pressure and sensationalism all over the place. It's pathetic.

adharcric

International Coach
My point was about the players themselves, their attitudes and what impact a coach can have when dealing with said characters.

The point was that there is a cricketing culture in place that doesnt prepare properly and work as hard as other nations. The players are too powerful (at least one of the potential reasons)

Having the support of the board doesnt mean a coach can talk to player how he might like to or be able to put the systems he would want to have in place.
India really doesn't have the greatest sporting culture and acumen in general. Cricket has been a craze across the nation but the emphasis on fitness that is found in other places (the US and I'm sure Europe, Aus, SA, etc) isn't quite there. There is no great infrastructure for fitness development from an early age. From what I know, sport is looked down upon as a potential career for a talented young cricketer. The standards are improving (look at Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina ... the new kids on the block who haven't been called up are quite athletic) but India isn't there yet. Once we can leave the old guard, things may change. Honestly, I don't want Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman or Kumble to play beyond 2008 unless they really do well.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
i think the indian team has way too much reliance on their batting and need to get in some genuine quicks into their team
Not really. The batting is overrated and the bowling is underrated. Apart from the spell of successful chases where Dravid, Yuvraj and Dhoni were on fire, the bowling has contributed more towards the team's success than the batting. Don't blame the seamers. On the whole, Zaheer, Munaf, Agarkar, Pathan and Sreesanth have been reasonable. The batting is the issue.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i could never understand why india change the captain and coach at the first place. in my point of view both Ganguly and john Wright was better captain and coach than Dravid and Graige C. I mean the indian top order that is being blamed for the lose was almost the same as it was in World cup 2003, how come India reach the final in 2003 world cup becuase of the top order and got nocked out of 07 world cup earlier? This means Ganguly and John Wright were doing somthing different and better that improved the indian team's performance.

Sudeep

International Captain
i could never understand why india change the captain and coach at the first place. in my point of view both Ganguly and john Wright was better captain and coach than Dravid and Graige C. I mean the indian top order that is being blamed for the lose was almost the same as it was in World cup 2003, how come India reach the final in 2003 world cup becuase of the top order and got nocked out of 07 world cup earlier? This means Ganguly and John Wright were doing somthing different and better that improved the indian team's performance.
It wasn't as if India kicked Wright out. He went out on his terms. He has a life. Just because Buchanan has done so well for Australia, they cannot expect him to stay forever. 8-)

adharcric

International Coach
India were performing at beyond-**** levels when Ganguly was sacked.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In fact, the Indian media (probably the worst in the world) is a contributor to the **** state of Indian cricket today. Players built up as demigods, extreme
pressure and sensationalism all over the place. It's pathetic.
The media cover things because the people follow some thing and it is not the other way around usually. A lot of things happen because people follow a sport passionately and media coverage is just one of the aspects. Players get advertisements as well because of being in demand for instance.

A lot of attention follows various teams but that does not mean they will necessarily underperform. Players, management has to be blamed short term while long term we can blame the structures in the country.

If a player lets media hype get into his head, it is not the media's fault. If it indirectly contributes, it is for the BCCI to take actions to prevent players from reading newspapers, educating players and other measures.

adharcric

International Coach
You are right to an extent but there are few other teams that get this type of coverage. Surely, the media make matters worse and I doubt the Indian public is asking for such crap - the targets are ignorant in the first place so they'll take what they get. I am more infuriated at the media in general for turning millions of ignorant fans into ******** ones with the coverage they provide. There are more important issues in the cricketing sense, of course.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You are right to an extent but there are few other teams that get this type of coverage. Surely, the media make matters worse and I doubt the Indian public is asking for such crap - the targets are ignorant in the first place so they'll take what they get. I am more infuriated at the media in general for turning millions of ignorant fans into ******** ones with the coverage they provide.
People get the politicians and media they deserve.

Where the media is concerned, they are doing their job and except when a media house makes libelous claims, I will not make too much of the extensive hype they create and will not blame them for it.

Last edited:

nate-d

Cricket Spectator
Never know, India could still make it. The indians (businesses) will lose a significant amount of money in terms of lost advertising and many people in india may not continue to watch the world cup, thus lost revenue in the domestic markets.
Perhaps the astute businessmen may pay off Bangladesh to throw the match way or the bookies wanting Bermuda to win rather than bangladesh, I know it's a conspiracy.

As for Greg, unless india fixed the game and then put on an oscar winning performance to express such devastation or they actual suck, i mean they trashed the same team at home, now on neutral ground, india find themselves absolutely spanked! Comeon, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dhoni? did what? diddle squat.

I tell yah, none of these players will step foot in india, unless they want get to a smacking, like Dhoni home still be constructed, and to be presented with a garling full of old shoes! I presume, they each have nice holiday in the west indies, one will go to the U.S, the other to U.K, then, untill the shock blows over..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are fuking idiot mate there is no need for bull**** like that, i'm just as horrified by Bob Woolmer's death but no need for comments like these.
WTF?

You honestly think the thought won't be going through Greg Chappell's mind?

'Cos you're naive if you do.

There is nothing derogatory whatsoever in that comment, at all, I wasn't suggesting Chappell really needed to be wary of anything.

BTW - don't avoid the filter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ridiculous indeed. In fact, the Indian media (probably the worst in the world) is a contributor to the **** state of Indian cricket today. Players built up as demigods, extreme pressure and sensationalism all over the place. It's pathetic.
Because that's what sells papers and gets you your slots on the TV and radio.

Selfish journalism is a big problem. Those who care more about themselves than the sport can be done without. Sadly, the game has no influence on who appoints who in the media.

pup11

International Coach
I think more or less both Chappell and Dravid (his captaincy) are on their way out for sure because Indians want some scapegoats for their dismal performance in the WC, i really don't know who would be the next coach but Tendulkar's name has sprung up as the next Indian captain its a really stupid call IMO. Tendulkar's current form doesn't even guarantee a place in the team for him as a batsman leave alone as a Captain.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I think more or less both Chappell and Dravid (his captaincy) are on their way out for sure because Indians want some scapegoats for their dismal performance in the WC, i really don't know who would be the next coach but Tendulkar's name has sprung up as the next Indian captain its a really stupid call IMO. Tendulkar's current form doesn't even guarantee a place in the team for him as a batsman leave alone as a Captain.
FFS, Tests are different game to ODIs. His form in ODIs has been excellent, and a couple of bad innings in the World Cup (where he got good deliveries both times) doesn't change that.