• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup will be ours.... Sehwag reminds the world!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And is this string outfit a new type of one day shirt that allows the player to breathe easier or something?

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by Eclipse
Yes but
A) Laxmann has traditionaly been a poor batsman in ODIs..
Laxman is a decent onedayer bastman, the only reason why he hasn't been a regular member of the team is coz he's a poor fielder and also coz there are many quality batters in Indian team and its impossible 2 accomodate everyone in the lineup!

. [/quote]B) There is a big difference between being a good player of pace in India and being a good player of pace on bouncy pitches. [/quote]

Thats why i entered Laxman's name.Dravid,Sachin and Ganguly are all proven players while Laxman has a test hundred (167) against Aus at sydney!!!

One can be doubtful about Yuvraj/Kaif since they haven't played much on bouncy wkts, but the others have done well on green top wkts.Still i'm confident that Kaif will do well in SA !

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by marc71178
SA do have a bit of a history of choking, but then again, so do India!
Well atleast you know about the Afrikan's weakness.India used to depend upon Sachin alot (in the past) and once he used to depart, the rest of the batters just used to follow him.Fortunately it has all changed thanks to some of the youngsters in Kaif/Sehwag and Yuvraj.The younsters have taken the task of finishing the game themselves and no longer depends upon Sachin.In the majority of the recent victories , Sachin had little to contribute to the team and it was the young guns that did the job for India.
Also, in SA, if there is one team that will be under pressure(coz of home crowd) then its SA, hence they will be most susceptible to choking!

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
And is this string outfit a new type of one day shirt that allows the player to breathe easier or something?
Thats was strong outfit.Talking about outfits, what do you think about "encasing plate armour" for the English team? maybe that can be the answer to protect the Englishmen from injuries:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Originally posted by Choora
Originally posted by Eclipse
Yes but
A) Laxmann has traditionaly been a poor batsman in ODIs..
Laxman is a decent onedayer bastman, the only reason why he hasn't been a regular member of the team is coz he's a poor fielder and also coz there are many quality batters in Indian team and its impossible 2 accomodate everyone in the lineup!

B) There is a big difference between being a good player of pace in India and being a good player of pace on bouncy pitches. [/quote]

Thats why i entered Laxman's name.Dravid,Sachin and Ganguly are all proven players while Laxman has a test hundred (167) against Aus at sydney!!!

One can be doubtful about Yuvraj/Kaif since they haven't played much on bouncy wkts, but the others have done well on green top wkts.Still i'm confident that Kaif will do well in SA ! [/quote]

Well That 167 was not on a boucy pitch Sydeny is the slowest wicket In Australia and If i remember right Laxman struggeled in all the other tests.

Choora

State Regular
Well one cannot score all the time against a team like Australia in Australia, when facing an attack that has McGrath,Lee and Flemming.

Laxman have an ave of 47.5 against SA in SA, seems to me that he can play there after all!!!

[Edited on 2/12/2002 by Choora]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
India managed to choke well enough against the West Indies, didn't they?

As for Laxman's ODI records in more pace-friendly countries:

In Australia he averages 4.00 from 6 inns
England 14.00 from 1
South Africa 10.00 from 2
West Indies 2.00 from 1
Zimbabwe 18.00 from 1

Total = 24+14+20+2+18=78 runs in 11 innings = 7.09. I'm impressed...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even the great man is better!

Aus - 4 (twice out)
England - 7.5 (twice out)
SA - 19 (twice out)
WI - 1.5 (twice out)
Zim - 32 (once out)

96 for 9 outs is 10.67!

All hail AA!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year

Aus - 4 (twice out)
SA - 19 (twice out)
WI - 1.5 (twice out)
Zim - 32 (once out)

96 for 9 outs is 10.67!

All hail AA!
Who's AA?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik

Aus - 4 (twice out)
SA - 19 (twice out)
WI - 1.5 (twice out)
Zim - 32 (once out)

96 for 9 outs is 10.67!

All hail AA!
Who's AA?
Oh...Him :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I've worked out how India will get their hands on the World Cup...

How much are Australia selling it for? ;):lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
India managed to choke well enough against the West Indies, didn't they?
Oh really?? So Australia must have choked in the champions trophy, and England must have been choking in the ashes,right?? Every defeat in ur book must be a result of choking!

India were beaten by a better side in the previous series, without the three main players India was struggling in the series and eventually went down to a better side!

As for Laxman's ODI records in more pace-friendly countries:
In Australia he averages 4.00 from 6 inns
England 14.00 from 1
South Africa 10.00 from 2
West Indies 2.00 from 1
Zimbabwe 18.00 from 1

Total = 24+14+20+2+18=78 runs in 11 innings = 7.09. I'm impressed...
Point taken, Laxman has not performed well in onedayer, even though he has performed remarkably in Test matches on pacer friendly pitches.

Kaif however has a ave of 88 in England in onedayers!!I'm confident that this guy will do well in SA, and even Laxman might prove his critics wrong!

[Edited on 3/12/2002 by Choora]
Watch the Nested Quotes Please!

[Edited on 3/12/02 by Neil Pickup]

anzac

International Debutant
anyone been able to verify / clarify the 'quote' / 'mis-quote' that prompted this thread??????

:ticking:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Choora
Oh really?? So Australia must have choked in the champions trophy, and England must have been choking in the ashes,right?? Every defeat in ur book must be a result of choking!

India were beaten by a better side in the previous series, without the three main players India was struggling in the series and eventually went down to a better side!
On paper, India were the better side. In the six previous games the chasing side won but not in the final, when they capitulated. Is it 10 losses in the last 11 finals now?

England have been totally outplayed by the best side in the world.
Point taken, Laxman has not performed well in onedayer, even though he has performed remarkably in Test matches on pacer friendly pitches.

Kaif however has a ave of 88 in England in onedayers!!I'm confident that this guy will do well in SA, and even Laxman might prove his critics wrong!
Yeah, from one series, and bolstered by not outs. Doesn't prove anything.

Roque

Cricket Spectator
india have no chance

is the world cup in india? ummm... no
is it in the subcontinent? ummmm..... no
can indians play backfoot shots? ummm...no
can they bowl fast and/or straight? ummm..no
are the umpires going to be corrupt? no
case in point: SA v PAK pakistan can only only scrounge 120 runs against a team with only one part time spinner: Boje
what does this say about their ability to face fast bowling on normal pitches?
and how did india fare in the last world cup?
they have a bowling attack that is the envy of world cricket, super bowlers like venkatesh ****** and ajit agarka, not to mention the hostile ashish nehra, all of which will extract considerble bounce and pace from the sth af pitches (yeah, bull****)
and the nz series, what a display of batsmanship in the first test, at leat their putting up a fight against an understrength bowling attack on a pitch that resembles a highway.
As for indias chances, go have a cow

Originally posted by Roque
is the world cup in india? ummm... no
is it in the subcontinent? ummmm..... no
can indians play backfoot shots? ummm...no
can they bowl fast and/or straight? ummm..no
are the umpires going to be corrupt? no
case in point: SA v PAK pakistan can only only scrounge 120 runs against a team with only one part time spinner: Boje
what does this say about their ability to face fast bowling on normal pitches?
and how did india fare in the last world cup?
they have a bowling attack that is the envy of world cricket, super bowlers like venkatesh ****** and ajit agarka, not to mention the hostile ashish nehra, all of which will extract considerble bounce and pace from the sth af pitches (yeah, bull****)
and the nz series, what a display of batsmanship in the first test, at leat their putting up a fight against an understrength bowling attack on a pitch that resembles a highway.
As for indias chances, go have a cow
Ok i will have to repond to this irritant

_No the WC is not being played in India, it was played over there twice and India never won over there, infact they happen to have won it in England!!

_ NO Indian pacers aren't very speedy, but thats not eesential to be a winner otherwise Aus would have never won the WC in '99 or before that in '86!

_ No the umpires aren't going to be corrupt because Shane Warne has been warned to behave and Waugh is out of the cup and is now a whether forecaster for the bookies.

_As for SA vs Pak, what has it to do with India?? I gues your mind cuircuits are down, do you suffer from CJD??

_Yes India didn't do well in '99, but is every CUp is a new beginning , otherwise WI would have been winners of all the WC.

_Prasad is no loger a part of theteam, but watch ur big ugly mouth if there is anyone that is a ****** that its no one other than you.

_Yes India fared poorly in the first test in NZ, but thats a different format of the game, and there is no need for you to be over excited.

_ you don't have to mention cow over here, better learn to behave and respect other ppl sentiments.

I'm surprised as to why this idiot is going scot free, no harm in criticizing India, but to accuse India of cheating and trying to insult without being proved is too much .

[Edited on 14/12/2002 by vandemataram]

masterblaster

International Captain
The way India played currently in New Zealand, it hurts to say....... they got no chance in hell!

Unless they improve very quickly

:(! :( :( :( :( :( :(