• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Asia's natural game

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I reckon india got pretty good chance in aus this summer. They've been mostly troubled by McGrath and with him retiring, it'll be interesting to see how they go. Anil Kumble to run through the aussies in Sydney and are india playing adelaide ? (not sure).. if they are kumble to get 10 for in both matches and lead india to memorable 2-1 series win. Aus to win in melbourne because everytime i go to a india match they lose :(.
Far better teams than current India have tried to beat a far worse team than the current Australia and came away with nothing.

As the article says, beating Australia in Australia is the Holy Grail of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except what is wrong in hoping that your team improves? I've seen flat track bullies bat plenty of times. Now I want a genuine fast bowler.
India have improved of times (were the best in The World briefly in the early '70s, a great shame they never played Australia in, say, 1973\74) but they've always come back to their normal ways after a little while. Same with everyone. It'd get boring if things went the exact same way ALL the time, but what's wrong with a prevailing trait or eight?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India have improved of times (were the best in The World briefly in the early '70s, a great shame they never played Australia in, say, 1973\74) but they've always come back to their normal ways after a little while. Same with everyone. It'd get boring if things went the exact same way ALL the time, but what's wrong with a prevailing trait or eight?
There is nothing wrong with a prevailing trait. If that trait didn't involve losing in 7/8 countries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say there's nothing wrong with even involving such a thing, if you beat them all in the return home series.

R_D

International Debutant
Far better teams than current India have tried to beat a far worse team than the current Australia and came away with nothing.

As the article says, beating Australia in Australia is the Holy Grail of cricket.
True but you can't ever be optimistic eh ?:p
It'll depend on our batsman, if Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid bat well, india should do well. Batting is india's strength and have to rely on that. If they get scores of 450+ regularely against Aus than they can trouble them, as they have shown it number of times before.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year

Cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties ;).

R_D

International Debutant
Except what is wrong in hoping that your team improves? I've seen flat track bullies bat plenty of times. Now I want a genuine fast bowler.

We know those players who can't play outside india are Flat track bullies. what would you call the players that struggle to play on those flat tracks in india ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nope, I have no evidence to hand to back my claims. I guess I've noticed it more in his appearances on the panel in the Offsiders tv show here in Australia than in his written work. And I should clarify by 'elitest' I mean in cricket fan-dom terms, not in a class sense. I've thought, admittedly only a few times, he's shown a little too much disdain for the opinion of the average punter who likes his cricket but doesn't necessarily live and breathe it 12 months a year, or always want to consider what they're watching against the broader sweep of history.
Haha, that sounds exactly like the description of my cricket attitude that everyone from every forum I visit except cricketweb would give.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do 'fess up...
Cricketweb is the only cricket forum I visit - but I do visit a few other forums which are primarily focused on other topics (rugby league generally) but have cricket discussion. My tolerance for the casual cricket follower who watches the odd game and makes sweeping statements in said forums is quite low, so I expect any description given from those forums of my me in regards to cricket would be quite similar to the above.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wouldn't either, most of the time, and certainly if you're in cricketing circles, so to speak, like this forum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh, Ponting doesn't seem to have struggled on the flat tracks in India, he seems to have struggled on the turners.