• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain Mushtaq, The most under-rated ODI bowler ever?

JBH001

International Regular
Dont forget PowerPlays either.

Something Murali has had to contend with, but not Warne or Saqlain.

adharcric

International Coach
will yu support it with something else or you are just implying your opinion?

average-saq better
strike rate- saq better
5 wkt hauls/ match- saq better
4 wkt hauls/ match-saq better

Against aus- saqlain avgs 23..murli avgs 29
Against Ind-saqlain avgs 24..murli 28

Saqlain avgs 20 at home and 23 away
Murli avgs 22 at home and 25 away

Saqlain avgs 15 when Pak wins
Murli avgs 19 when SL wins

please support your argument
Here's why.

1) Saqlain had Wasim and Waqar ... Murali had Vaas
2) Murali's ER is phenomenal and that means a lot in ODIs

thierry henry

International Coach
Seriously though, Saqlain was a spinner of Murali/Warne stature in ODI cricket. It would take a LOT for either Murali or Warne to be PERMANENTLY dropped from the side, right? Like, an awful loss of form/ability over a prolonged period.

What I don't get is that, in most cases, a player of Saqlain/Murali/Warne stature would be given chance after chance after chance before people gave up on him. However, all the talk about him "losing it" just seems to be hearsay. He still has outstanding figures in ODI cricket and List A cricket. When exactly did he "lose it"? Where's the proof?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seriously though, Saqlain was a spinner of Murali/Warne stature in ODI cricket. It would take a LOT for either Murali or Warne to be PERMANENTLY dropped from the side, right? Like, an awful loss of form/ability over a prolonged period.

What I don't get is that, in most cases, a player of Saqlain/Murali/Warne stature would be given chance after chance after chance before people gave up on him. However, all the talk about him "losing it" just seems to be hearsay. He still has outstanding figures in ODI cricket and List A cricket. When exactly did he "lose it"? Where's the proof?
The Multan test. And his "teesra" being walloped as much as his "pehla" and "doosra".

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

I'm afraid you're not very familiar with the disgusting politics within the PCB. He was basically made to be a scapegoat after our WC '03 failures alongside a bunch of other players. He did get a chance in a test series against India in '04 but failed miserably picking up one wicket for 200+ runs. He probably deserved to get the axe at the time seeing as how Kaneria and Malik were better options for Pakistan in tests and ODIs respectively, but the way he was thrown into the reject bin after such a career was nothing short of disgraceful. In his last 20 ODIs, he averaged 32. Not horrendous by any means, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saqlain was one of the first bowlers to master the doosra
Well he was the first to master it in the age when everyone realised what it was. There's substantial evidence that Eripalli Prasanna bowled it too, just before the age when TV was a permanent companion of cricket.

Even now, Saqlain and Harbhajan are the only ones to have bowled the Doosra to any real effect at international level.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well he was the first to master it in the age when everyone realised what it was. There's substantial evidence that Eripalli Prasanna bowled it too, just before the age when TV was a permanent companion of cricket.

Even now, Saqlain and Harbhajan are the only ones to have bowled the Doosra to any real effect at international level.
Errr....Murali?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dont forget PowerPlays either.

Something Murali has had to contend with, but not Warne or Saqlain.
An extra 5 overs of field-restrictions is not much.

Especially when the restrictions are more relaxed on those 10 than they were in the 5 which were previously in existence.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Errr....Murali?
Eh? You'd have to be crazy to compare Murali to Saqlain and Harbhajan. Murali is a completely different bowler to anyone who's ever played cricket. His stock-ball is something never bowled by anyone else, his Wrong-'Un is something never bowled by anyone else.

pup11

International Coach
I think Saqlain was rated very highly when he was at his peak, he was an extraordinary off-spinner who mesmerized batsmen all-over the world.
He was the first off-spinner to master the "dossra" and his bowling at the death was another revelation.
But his inability to adapt with the changing times in international cricket(and his injuries) were the reason why his career ended on such low.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Wow, double standard at play here....People are willing to compare shane warne to murli in ODI's but Saqi who has only 5 less wickets cant be compared to murli because of having a short career....

What about Garner, he only has 70 ODI wickets, there is a better chance of him getting lucky, even agarkar took his first 50 faster than anyone else.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wow, double standard at play here....People are willing to compare shane warne to murli in ODI's but Saqi who has only 5 less wickets cant be compared to murli because of having a short career....

What about Garner, he only has 70 ODI wickets, there is a better chance of him getting lucky, even agarkar took his first 50 faster than anyone else.
Garner played for over 10 years in ODI's, with 97 ODI's and 146 wickets.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Yes, I had to get out my calculator, but I believe it is. So? No one is denying Saqlain is one of the finest ODI bowlers.
Oh, i proved that in my intial post. What i am trying to prove is that he is certainly better than Warne and if not for a longer career better than Murli too, hence the best spinner ever in ODI's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali > Saqlain, I don't see how anyone can dispute that.

Warne, Saqlain is a more interesting question.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Murali > Saqlain, I don't see how anyone can dispute that.

Warne, Saqlain is a more interesting question.
Warne v.s Saqlian
is a case opened and closed
Saqlain was better by a mile

Murli well his longer career makes it difficult to compare, however using averages, puts Saqlain on top.

average-saq better
strike rate- saq better
5 wkt hauls/ match- saq better
4 wkt hauls/ match-saq better

Against aus- saqlain avgs 23..murli avgs 29
Against Ind-saqlain avgs 24..murli 28

Saqlain avgs 20 at home and 23 away
Murli avgs 22 at home and 25 away

Saqlain avgs 15 when Pak wins
Murli avgs 19 when SL wins

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Average, SR, wicket-hauls, none relevant.

Murali's economy-rate is far superior to Saqlain's, hence Murali is much the better bowler.