Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Oram consider amputation or Gilchrist miss the birth of his kid for test Series

Will Oram consider amputation or Gilchrist miss the birth of his kid for test Series

Although I love test ccricket more than any other version, but i also believe that the World Cup is the grand daddy of all cricketing events.

Many people here said that they would give up the World cup for a decent series win but i think when things like these comes from the horse's mouth itself we shoul realise that eventually World Cup is the only real recognition avaiable in the Cricketing world and it is the ultimate glory.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well... I've finally met one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    One what?

Add me to that list.

But I'm not from a Test playing country, let alone a country where Tests are more important than ODI's.

Not that I agree with his argumentation, mind.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla1010 View Post
    One what?
    One of those famed subcontinental cricket fans for whom ODIs > Tests.

One of those famed subcontinental cricket fans for whom ODIs > Tests.
    I never said that
    I said WC > any test series win not ODI>test

But am i the only one looking at players doing something they would never do in normal circumstances?

Does that mean that Gilchrist and Oram arnt purist either?

Well IMO the WC is the only thing about ODIs where winning actually matters. In other ODIs you play to prepare for the WC for me.

Well IMO the WC is the only thing about ODIs where winning actually matters. In other ODIs you play to prepare for the WC for me.
    Meh. England sees all Tests as Ashes training. Australia currently doesn't care too much about playing West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan or Sri Lanka let alone Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. NZ doesn't care about any Tests it seems.

So "It doesn't really matter" isn't exclusive to ODI's imo.

agreed.
    But a World cup victory is the biggest recognition in Cricket arena, One can stay on the top of the rankings for months but thier will be disputes but the WC i any sport makes a team the undisputed best in the sport.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Not so in Cricket. I'd rather be the best Test team.

Andrew Flintoff missed the birth of his kid for a Test series in India btw, and he did his ankle in bowling 51 overs against Sri Lanka, to try and help England win a Test series. So these sort of things, not exclusive to Tests, in all honesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

He just said its the biggest event, he never implied that its a more important format of the game nor that winning it was a bigger achievement than winning an away test series to Australia for example.

Its hard to deny that the WC is the biggest cricketing event around. Every country prepares for it for at the very least, 18 months to 2 years, and for around 3-4 months, all cricketing news and events surround it. Every country is involved. I never understand why people try to downplay the event on the grounds of claiming to be a 'purist' or some other term used in a snobbish way. You can appreciate the greatness of test cricket, and yet still fall into the wave of WC excitement when it comes around. I know I can't wait for it to begin, and have been waiting for it for ages.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    agreed.
    But a World cup victory is the biggest recognition in Cricket arena, One can stay on the top of the rankings for months but thier will be disputes but the WC i any sport makes a team the undisputed best in the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    He just said its the biggest event, he never implied that its a more important format of the game nor that winning it was a bigger achievement than winning an away test series to Australia for example.

Its hard to deny that the WC is the biggest cricketing event around. Every country prepares for it for at the very least, 18 months to 2 years, and for around 3-4 months, all cricketing news and events surround it. Every country is involved. I never understand why people try to downplay the event on the grounds of claiming to be a 'purist' or some other term used in a snobbish way. You can appreciate the greatness of test cricket, and yet still fall into the wave of WC excitement when it comes around. I know I can't wait for it to begin, and have been waiting for it for ages.
    He did say that winning the WC is the greatest honour tbh. Nonetheless, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't have the same enthusiasm for ODIs as I do Tests, generally (I mean when England aren't playing, so I wouldn't attribute this to apathy at our poor form) but lately I have tried to watch all the ODIs that have been on to attempt to gauge some WC form. And I go to the WC forum before I go to any other when I log on to CW.

The World Cup = ace

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    He did say that winning the WC is the greatest honour tbh. Nonetheless, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't have the same enthusiasm for ODIs as I do Tests, generally (I mean when England aren't playing, so I wouldn't attribute this to apathy at our poor form) but lately I have tried to watch all the ODIs that have been on to attempt to gauge some WC form. And I go to the WC forum before I go to any other when I log on to CW.

The World Cup = ace
    well the only thing i can imagine bigger than a world cup is like winning 10-15 tests in a row...making a champion team of Aus of the 00's or the WI of the 70's....but that happens once in 30 years.

But staying on top of the ranking for 10 months or beating Aus wont even finish the argument about being the best team....look what happened to Eng, they won the Ashes and everyone was blowing the #1 team trumpet, next thing you know they got trashed 2-0 to Pakistan (ranked 7th at that time)

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Meh. England sees all Tests as Ashes training. Australia currently doesn't care too much about playing West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan or Sri Lanka let alone Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. NZ doesn't care about any Tests it seems.

So "It doesn't really matter" isn't exclusive to ODI's imo.
    That might be an attitude you'd be forgiven for getting the impession we English hold, but in truth it isn't. That's one of the few reasons Andrew Miller has annoyed me, by implying that The Ashes is basically all that matters to everyone in the team, never mind the whole of the fans. He's basically using his position to project his prejudices onto many, many others. To suggest that there's a single Test (even dead games) that don't really matter to most English fans (never mind the players) is as far as I can see utterly ludicrous. And that's before we even get to the fact that "it doesn't matter to him and him and him" is IMO nothing more than a get-out clause for the underperformance of those the writer has attained mistakenly inflated opinions of the ability of... but that's a different story.

Anyway... not caring for Bangladesh\Zimbabwe series is another thing altogether. No-one needs to care about them, you'll steamroller them even without doing so. And it's an admirable sentiment, too - Ban and Zim aren't Test-standard, so why the blazes should anyone outside Bangladesh (and the few hundred in Zimbabwe) care about these non-contents against them?

look what happened to Eng, they won the Ashes and everyone was blowing the #1 team trumpet
    Not true, a few pratts might have been but all of us with any sense retained some humility and perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information