• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Death Bowling Problems.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson hasn't been effective while bowling at the death (1st CB series final and last 2 games in C-H Trophy), so he is not a really good option.
Bracken and Lee have been hammered as well though - they havent been any better at the death than Watson. Comparative advantage then suggests that Watson at the death is probably the best option.. as Lee and Bracken will be generally better bowlers than Watson in other stages of the game.

pup11

International Coach
I think the first choice death bowling options would surely be Tait,McGrath, and Bracken. Watson can be an option if these guys get hammered again.

Natman20

International Debutant
I have seen Bracken bowl quite a few balls in the final overs full up around near the shoulders and get thrashed out of the ground. I don't think most of the bowlers in Australias squad deal to well with pressure in the final overs. Lee is probably the best option for this crucial stage of a match but of course they half rely on early wickets to get them through. I think there attack is fairly inexperienced at the moment bar McGrath and it will be a difficult time for them to produce something special.

pup11

International Coach
I think aussie have always had their problems with death bowling, their best combination in recent past at the death was Harvey and McGrath.

Brett lee has never been too good at the death all through his career, Tait has shown that he has got all the toys( but has he got a slower ball in his arsenal?) to be a successfull bowler at the death, so he should be given a run with McGrath at the death in the World cup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think aussie have always had their problems with death bowling, their best combination in recent past at the death was Harvey and McGrath.

Brett lee has never been too good at the death all through his career, Tait has shown that he has got all the toys( but has he got a slower ball in his arsenal?) to be a successfull bowler at the death, so he should be given a run with McGrath at the death in the World cup.
Will Tait actually be playing though? I somehow doubt it.

luffy

International Captain
To be honest i don't rate many of the Australian's as Death bowlers any more.

Lee- Sometimes can be really expensive especcially on a fast pitch + fast outfield

Tait- See Above

Johnson- Havn't seen enough of him to give him an opinion

Bracken- Can bowl tight but sometimes he bowls too ful therfore full tosses and sometimes too short

McGrath- A good death bowler but in reality, he is past his best

Hogg- May be an option but he's really predictible for mine

Clarke- Good bowler but if the batters want to go after him, he will crack under the pressure eventually

Symonds- May be an option when fit and available

Clark- Will make it short and say i don't rate his as an ODI bowler yet.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Yeah Tait would be playing in the world cup as the strike bowler in place of Lee.
Can't see a fast bowling attack of Clark, Bracken, and McGrath (because they all are pretty much similar bowlers, which would mean lack of variety in the bowling attack) and Johnson has looked completly out of sorts recently.

So in that case really can't see Tait cooling his heels on the bench.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Tait would be playing in the world cup as the strike bowler in place of Lee.
Can't see a fast bowling attack of Clark, Bracken, and McGrath (because they all are pretty much similar bowlers, which would mean lack of variety in the bowling attack) and Johnson has looked completly out of sorts recently.

So in that case really can't see Tait cooling his heels on the bench.
I was thinking Johnson more than Clark, actually...

pup11

International Coach
McGrath might not be at his prime but he still is good enough do the job for the aussies with the new ball and at the death.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he's not the only decent death bowler in the team. Samuels has been relatively effective there too. And despite Bravo's RPO, he's taken crucial wickets at the death. Then there's Taylor, who has been quite impressive at the death. And Edwards was excellent at the death in New Zealand.
Taylor and Gayle, for mine. Of the currently-playing crop.

Basically anyone but Bradshaw! Get him straight through 10 IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Since his 4/45 against England at Adeliade, Johnson's bowling has nosedived he atm is only taking the ball across the Right hand batsmen which is making him really predictable. Needs to get the ball moving both ways, otherwise he should develop a good slower-ball and a yorker and then he could also be a good death bowling option in the future.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Thing with Johnson is that in big run chases he's very hittable, which is really a problem. Same can be said for all of the Aussie attack really, which is in itself a real problem.

pup11

International Coach
When bowling first how do the same aussie bowlers become more lethal? Is it just a mental block or just the sheer inability of the aussie bowler to adapt to a crunch situation.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Because they've got some of the best ODI bowlers in the world, and some good young talent. But when it's nothing to lose type batting, most (if not all) attacks in the world would go the journey. The problem is that most of them don't really know what to do when that happens.

pup11

International Coach
Look mate i would have agreed with your assessment if such massive scores would have been chased against all the teams around the world, but everytime its been the aussies who have been at the recieving end.

The other teams also play on flat surfaces, on small grounds with the batsmen
batting with nothing to lose attitude and still they defend these big totals with not to much trouble.

thierry henry

International Coach
Neither Vettori nor Bond are good death bowlers and I have no idea how they ended up with those economy rates. In the case of spinners I think it's a load of rubbish as they are really only bowling in over 41-43 or 44.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neither Vettori nor Bond are good death bowlers and I have no idea how they ended up with those economy rates. In the case of spinners I think it's a load of rubbish as they are really only bowling in over 41-43 or 44.
Which rates?

What are they?

Vettori as as much of a death-bowler as Andrew Johns.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But it can't just be said in big run-chases...
It might be a case of the opposition simply giving the likes of Johnson too much respect when they bat first. When batting second and chasing a huge total, you can't really afford to do so anyway.