Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Comebacks in ODI's

Biggest Comebacks in ODI's

Was NZ's victory over Aus last night the biggest comeback ever in an ODI?

Surely it has to be up there with the most unlikely victories of all time. At 41/4 after 9 overs the match was over. NZ required over 310 runs off 41 overs without their top 4 batsmen. You would pretty much bet your life on an Australian victory.

Is there a more remarkable position that a team has come back from to win a ODI?

Zimbabwe had a similar one against us a few years ago at Eden Park, they fell to 60-5 chasing 274 and Heath Streak batted them to victory.

I rated that as the best comeback I'd seen in an ODI, but last night's win was at least as good.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    There have been comebacks after bigger collapses, obviously. Australia were 6/82 against NZ in 2002 and chased down 248 in that game where Bevan made a century. There are heaps of others.

But obviously this mini-collapse turned around into the second biggest chase in ODI history, so it depends how you look at it. Definitely one of the most unlikely chase wins I've seen, but NZ never got into the tail until the target was quite close.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Well, the 3 mentioned thus far are about the 3 best I can remember.

In terms of coming close but not winning, I think NZ were something like 6/120 after 30 overs chasing 300 against SA in '97/98. We lost by 2 runs.

http://www3.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...07JAN2001.html

That's the one you are talking about Ed

Faaip - Yeah that was the other one I was thinking about, but because they only needed another 160 with Bevan still there and a handy lower order, they were always a chance. I think because Bevan had such a great reputation of batting with the tail it sort of made it less unlikely. It was an amazing effort all the same.

Banned
    Definitely the best come-back I've ever seen last night

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Certainly one of the best comebacks, its difficalt to compare them though due to different pitches and ground sizes and oponents. NZ love a big chase vs Australia though.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    india had some thing simillar aganist england in lords ......
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

India vs. England NatWestSeries 2002 must come close. Particularly since two youngsters at the time in Kaif and Yuvraj were the ones that were responsible for the win.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

in club cricket we had one once the other team got 200 of 25 we got it with 3 balls to spare.....

Pakistan in India one day series 2004-05
    pakistan was down to 2-0. they end up wining the series with 4-2. afridi's second fastest handred in kanpour in fifth match. i can't belive no one has mention this series.

Any dramatic bowling performances won a match when it looked like the opposition was cruising to victory? I've witnessed many at junior club and school level but am struggling to think of many. Maybe Langeveldt against the Windies.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Any dramatic bowling performances won a match when it looked like the opposition was cruising to victory? I've witnessed many at junior club and school level but am struggling to think of many. Maybe Langeveldt against the Windies.
    Obviously didn't see this match, but I remember reading about it somewhere. Windies going from 4-195 to 239 all out chasing 251 mainly due to Wasim Akram.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    There's quite a lot actually, but it's usually viewed as a case of a batting collapse rather than a brilliant bowling display, given the way ODIs play out in the late overs with defensive fields and so on. So people don't remember it as a brilliant effort, they remember it as a shocking one.

The most amazing one in recent times would have to be the West Indies in the opening match of the DLF Cup last year. 1/136 and 2/172 chasing 279 and absolutely miles ahead of the required rate with a deep batting lineup. All out for 201. Johnson, Watson and Bracken did the damage, along with some insane batting.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Stati...MatchCode=2516

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haroon510 View Post
    Pakistan in India one day series 2004-05
    pakistan was down to 2-0. they end up wining the series with 4-2. afridi's second fastest handred in kanpour in fifth match. i can't belive no one has mention this series.
    we are discusing match rite not series ????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information