Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason Gillespie

Wow, proof you guys really do have a sense of humour
    Wouldn't you love it if it were translated onto the cricket field
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

Just a thought........people often talk about effective bowling partnerships & McGrath & Warne used to be great foils for each other when bowling together - how about a radical change to have Lee & Dizzy open the bowling,
    Of those two one was always attacking while the other contained the batting. If gillespie and Lee were to team together, that would be two attacking bowlers....in tandem. Not that is a bad thing, but i wonder how Australia would respond if those two got hammered.

All in all though this looks a good enough bet. No problem in experimenting either. Imagine if Lee and Gillespie started working well together regularly, with Mcgrath and Warne to follow...that would be murder.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    As someone who's led MANY attacks with the new ball, the very WORST thing you can suggest to a new-ball bowler is that they may be losing pace and should be relegated to first-change. Anyone who would even dare suggest that to me when I was playing, well I would have flattened them, quite frankly. Not to mention, they would have several deliveries whistling past their ears in the nets just to show them how quick I was. I would imagine McGrath to be no different in attitude and much better in execution so I wouldn't even attempt to say something like that to him!

Glenn McGrath's hubris would be severely dented by such a suggestion and anyway, he's still the leader of the attack and still quick enough. Plus he can still turn on the pace when he needs to.

I think that Gillespie and McGrath are a pretty effective pairing as it is. Leave Gillespie and Lee as the opening bowlers for when McGrath decides to call it a day.

Oh and Rik: :frog::frog::frog::frog:

EDIT: Damn, my old unicode didn't work. I feel so mid-90's.............

[Edited on 24/11/2002 by Top_Cat]

U19 Cricketer
    Points all taken, and i do agree and i know he is bowling well, but at the end of the day, it is wickets which are what great bowlers are compared by, and at the end of the day, he's just not getting many lately.

I wouldn't consider dropping him either, but i think he'd wanna start to consistently take more wickets before talk and pressure starts getting put on him from outside people.

btw, the idea to not open with McGrath is just not a good one. The guy takes wickets with new ball constantly and if Gillespie and Lee/Bichel opened up and couldn't nab one, it leaves Australia in a real prediciment.

International Debutant
    by no means was I suggesting that McGrath be dropped even if he is not taking bags of wickets - I still rate him as one of if not THE most effective seam bowler in the game today - not just for taking wickets but especially for dominating opposition top orders!!!

my ideal opening attack for Australia would be to have McGrath open with Lee - I really think that bowl 1st change is part of Lee's problem....

the only reason why I suggested Lee / Gillespie opening was to partner McGrath with Warne. Recently it has seemed to me that Warne has spent a lot of time bowling in tandem with Lee & it has not worked for either of them. The other suggestion was for McGrath to open with Dizzy but in a shorter spell - bring Lee in while the ball is still 'new', and McGrath back into the attack to partner Warne...

That is probably the best suggestion. Lee won't get a look in with the new ball while McGrath and Gillespie are around because they are class. And as an Englishman to hear you talking about how to improve the bowling is pretty depressing! If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

International Debutant
    and could it be that therein lies the difference between the Aussie's 'professionalism' and the rest of the world??????

it's not a case of it being broke - but how can we make it better!!!!!! Call it fine tuning or what ever but IMO the moment you accept the status quo is the moment you start going backwards!!!!! You should alsways look for ways to get the absolute best from your assets, with the ultimate decision being based upon what makes the team as a whole work best / most effectively!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information