Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Popularity of One day cricket 'Declining'?"

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

"Popularity of One day cricket 'Declining'?"

I have seen that said so many times its sad. I don't think ODI'S are in danger of losing their popularity, although their popularity has tanked slightly, but not to crisis point. If we were to take the columnist's views, ODI cricket is doomed already.

Rubbish, just rubbish, IMO. What are your thoughts?

Here in England, we love it! great version of the game. Won't hear a word against it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The irony being that while the Andrew Millers of this World continue to relentlessly bash the stuff, the full-houses at said games just keep coming!

ODIs aren't losing popularity and anyone who says such a thing is acting on assumption: Twenty20 is gaining popularity so something else must be losing it. Which is, simply, wrong.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Captain
    Holy *filter* I swear I didn't see this thread in the first place and I made mine in the favor of test cricket . Feel free to delete mine . I am sorry .......
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Good riddance to ODIs. Can't wait until twenty/20 extinguishes it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I may be in a great minority here, but I find Twenty20 cricket immensely boring.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I may be in a great minority here, but I find Twenty20 cricket immensely boring.
    Thanks for joining my club . There are certain rules and regulations but anyways you are welcome !

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Yup, same I find 20/20s very pointless tbh. I wish it would just remain ODIs and Tests. We're really ruining the game with 2 different WCs and three different formats.

International Coach
    Twenty20 > ODIs IMO. The middle overs of an ODI are excrutiating IMO. If I had my way, I'd scrap ODIs completely and replace them with Twenty20s - ODIs were only invented to make money in the first place, same as Twenty20.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Twenty20 > ODIs IMO. The middle overs of an ODI are excrutiating IMO. If I had my way, I'd scrap ODIs completely and replace them with Twenty20s - ODIs were only invented to make money in the first place, same as Twenty20.
    Could hardly disagree more. The middle overs of ODI matches are what cricket is about. It's what keeps the format genuine within the sport. Mindless bashing or even consistent educated bashing is very tiresome. There's no ebb and flow. Just flow, and it's a wonder that people who would pick Twenty20 cricket over ODI cricket could ever watch a Test match in entirety.

Totally with Mxyzptlk here.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I've been to a couple of Twenty20 games at the Basin and I have decided to never go to one again. It's billed as being exciting but truely exciting cricket takes several overs of things like sustained pressure and the advantage changing between bat and ball over time. And the fact they play terrible music after every ball puts me off even looking at the cricket.

I'm quite contented when I watch the middle overs of a one day game, it's often where a game is won or lost and it's when I prefer to bat because there isn't the pressure to attack that is present during the start and finnish of the innings.
    C'mon COLTS

Southern Dynamo Midfielder

www.myspace.com/themakeoutkidsnz

Theres no comparison whatsoever with the moribund middle overs of ODIs and Test Cricket. In test cricket the best bowlers are attempting to get out the best batsmen. In that stage of ODIs, bowlers like Chris Gayle and Sanath Jayasuira are just flicking through their overs attempting to go at about 4 an over, batsmen are often content to just keep wickets in hand for the end, so the result is no tension and little interest for me.

Tests have tension for every wicket, every stand is important, the best bowlers are always trying to take wickets, or build pressure to take wickets. Its ridiculous to say if you don't like One-day cricket you can't like Tests, it may not be a totally different sport (as one person may maintain), but it is vastly different, limiting bowlers not just in overs, but in ambition.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Could hardly disagree more. The middle overs of ODI matches are what cricket is about. It's what keeps the format genuine within the sport. Mindless bashing or even consistent educated bashing is very tiresome. There's no ebb and flow. Just flow, and it's a wonder that people who would pick Twenty20 cricket over ODI cricket could ever watch a Test match in entirety.
    Because Test cricket > ODIs and Twenty20 put together IMO. However, Twenty20 > ODI cricket IMO.

I agree with Grecian - the middle overs of an ODI are where bits and pieces bowlers such as Jayasuria, Gayle and Dalrymple get milked for 4 or 5 singles an over, which is boring as can be as far as I'm concerned.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Good riddance to ODIs. Can't wait until twenty/20 extinguishes it.
    Which quite conceivably may never happen.

Personally, I just can't see any reason at all that Twenty20 is better than one-day cricket.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information