Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Those familiar with the Derbyshire League...

Those familiar with the Derbyshire League...

Can anyone tell me exactly how good Dave Halliday was? He played for Duffield first XI last season and scored over 500 runs at over 45. He has played for other clubs in the past too, I believe.

He has moved to Australia now and played against my team's C3 side today.Quite a low level of cricket - in fact there are only two or three levels lower in Sydney. He took 6/5 and looked a million dollars batting to score 33. Obviously, we feel a bit rorted by his presence in the match.

What sort of standard is the Derbyshire County league division 1? Obviously it's a lot higher standard than the standard he played yesterday which is our gripe, but how close is it to first class cricket?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Can anyone tell me exactly how good Dave Halliday was? He played for Duffield first XI last season and scored over 500 runs at over 45. He has played for other clubs in the past too, I believe.

He has moved to Australia now and played against my team's C3 side today.Quite a low level of cricket - in fact there are only two or three levels lower in Sydney. He took 6/5 and looked a million dollars batting to score 33. Obviously, we feel a bit rorted by his presence in the match.

What sort of standard is the Derbyshire County league division 1? Obviously it's a lot higher standard than the standard he played yesterday which is our gripe, but how close is it to first class cricket?
    I'll ask John Wright and get back to you

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Generally the structure of a County League is that you have the ECB Premier Division, which is usually filled with never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen. If you're any real cop you play in that division in your county.

Below that is usually not particularly exciting: in Devon there is a big drop off from the Premier Division to the A Division, I would imagine it's not dissimilar in Derby - limited players can score big runs.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Generally the structure of a County League is that you have the ECB Premier Division, which is usually filled with never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen. If you're any real cop you play in that division in your county.

Below that is usually not particularly exciting: in Devon there is a big drop off from the Premier Division to the A Division, I would imagine it's not dissimilar in Derby - limited players can score big runs.
    Right, so it's not a complete atrocity that he played I guess - I thought this compeition might actually be the "never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen" level but it appears it was a level below (certain games did include "Jonty Rhodes" and "Travis Friend" although I'm assuming that at least Rhodes was simply a common name..). Given though that, he did dominate at that level, and it'd still be far and away better than the level be played at on Saturday (by Australian cricket standards, he played about eight or nine levels too low..).

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Where did you get the Rhodes/Friend info from?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I go and watch my Premier League side fairly often and the standard is reall high. The best sides have a couple of ex-first-class players in their ranks, plus a decent overseas player, often Pakistani or Indian first-class cricketers or Aussie state players. Bowling speeds can be over 80mph regularly. If the Derbyshire Premier is that sort of standard, those are really decent runs.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Guh... I'm pretty limited... I still managed no more than 1 run in said division...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Where did you get the Rhodes/Friend info from?
    Scorecards of that league. Rhodes actually played in his team all season - I'm thinking it was just someone with the same name though, especially considering he batted 9 and even had a stint in the Duffield second XI. I found one game and one game only which Travis Friend played in - I'm pretty sure he is/was in Derbyshire last year, so perhaps he was just coming back from injury or was in horrible form for whichever ECB Premier Division team he plays for and got dropped.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 28-01-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Travis Friend has been around Derbyshire for several seasons now IIRR...

Would anyone happen to know if this player is in Derbyshire at all? It's quite a common name I know, but a Michael James is captain of one of the teams in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Would anyone happen to know if this player is in Derbyshire at all? It's quite a common name I know, but a Michael James is captain of one of the teams in the competition.
    What's his surname?

Michael?

Thread Information