• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much time is left before gilly(church) bids goodbye!?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mate if johnson,tait,hilfenhaus, don't make it to the australian test team in that case i am sorry to say we just ran out young talented bowlers in australia, but the biggest mistake that england made was to release troy cooley the man can spot a bowlers strength and work with him accordingly and to sharpen their talents and young aussie quicks have really improved under his guidance.
England didn't "release" him, he wasn't happy with the contract offered so he decided to leave. Unsurprisingly, Australia promptly signed him up.

Good as he is, he can't turn bad bowlers into good ones, and if Tait, Johnson and Hilfenhaus don't possess the talent, there's not a lot he can do.

pup11

International Coach
Aussies have always gone through phrases when ppl have said now what waugh brothers are gone, who will be the keeper after healy,who will replace bevan,and australian always seem to have the right answers. This time the going will a bit tougher but then only the tough will get going.Under s.waugh's era punter was a pub brawler a brat but ppl use to question his future but today he is a world class player. Just see how times change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And they've also had times when they were unable to replace the retired Lillees, Chappells and Marshes, and the banned Wesselses, Hugheses, Yallops, Aldermans and Hoggs.

To me, it seems that the level of bowling talent in Australia is currently not what it might be. Whether that turns-out to be the case we will wait and see.

pup11

International Coach
mate the current english side lost pretty badly to most of the aussie state sides and weren't able to win a single game so that pretty much sums up the talent side of the aussie fring bowlers. When someone like tait is 9th in the line fast bowling contenders you can make out that the places up for grabs is pretty tough to get to he will be easily be a part of any other international team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He will "easily" be nothing of the sort. If he comes in and has a few Tests along the lines of his first two, he'll not be part of anyone's attack for longer than Fidel Edwards and Jermaine Lawson.

And tell me - how exactly did England "lose pretty badly to most of the aussie state sides"? All 3 games (not that there was much intensity in any) were drawn.

pup11

International Coach
they lost to prime ministers XI i think but it was an odi ok so i take my words back but yeah but watch out for tait, in 2 games he played in ashes 05 he impressed everyone his ball to dismiss tresco was a peach of ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He certainly didn't impress everyone, many commented on his lack of direction and no-more-than-occasional ability to swing the ball.

My own reaction was that there were 2 possibilities: either Australian domestic cricket must be utterly rubbish for him to take 60 wickets at 20 the previous season; or he must be bowling one hell of a lot worse at the international level than he did at the domestic.

That, of course, is certainly not unheard of at the start of a Test career, but nor is it for a style of bowling to be successful at one level and not so at the next one up. And one thing for sure - if Tait keeps bowling like he did in those 2 games for the rest of his career, he won't be around too long.

As for losing to the President's XI - that was an utterly meaningless 12-a-side charity pipe-opener, it certainly wasn't a ODI. You might as well go and lose to two geese and a mongrel.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
they lost to prime ministers XI i think but it was an odi
I know ODI status is being given out a bit too frequently, but didn't realise the Aussie PM XI now had it?

mate the current english side lost pretty badly to most of the aussie state sides
Let me get this straight then.

There are what, 6 Aussie state sides?

On tour England drew 3 games against state sides and didn't play the others - so how does that equate to "losing pretty badly to most of them"?

pup11

International Coach
i have already said that i take my words back on that front as for tait the latest is he is gonna be in line for WC selection.

luffy

International Captain
Gilchrist will play until at least the end of this year. He isn't the oldest player running around. While he will be missed i believe Brad Haddin would be able to do a good job for Australia if he gets the nod by the selectors.