• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be Australia's new spinner?

pup11

International Coach
i like white? hell yeah i do!!

guys i like bear but its just that his role in the side is beyond my understanding coz he is handy bat and a developing spinner and good captain for victoria, but as batsman at no.7 his place in the team is questionable coz there far better hard hitting proper(d.hussey, thronley) batsmen for that place, punter says he is our wicket taking option but gives him a bowl when only 1 wicket is left now how is going to improve like that .

pup11

International Coach
Is a warne comeback possible?

Ok guys aussies have bases in batting and fast bowling mostly covered for now but the spin department is a bit wobbly so if there is a case that aussies don't find a world class spinner than would warney make a comeback as he will still play for 2 years for hampshire in county cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
guys i like bear but its just that his role in the side is beyond my understanding coz he is handy bat and a developing spinner and good captain for victoria, but as batsman at no.7 his place in the team is questionable coz there far better hard hitting proper(d.hussey, thronley) batsmen for that place, punter says he is our wicket taking option but gives him a bowl when only 1 wicket is left now how is going to improve like that .
White is in the side as a batsman to bat #7 and bowl an 3-5 overs a game. I hardly see a better option at this stage, given his form for Victoria, his abilty to score quickly from the moment he arrives to the crease and his part-time leggies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ok guys aussies have bases in batting and fast bowling mostly covered for now but the spin department is a bit wobbly so if there is a case that aussies don't find a world class spinner than would warney make a comeback as he will still play for 2 years for hampshire in county cricket.
Nope. He thought it through when he retired and nothing has changed since.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I daresay he will arise IN 2009. On January 22nd to be exact. He shall bowl his first Test over on that day and have a wicket by the end of it. If not, I'll eat Richard's regurgitated computer.
Will dig this thread up on January 23rd 2009...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, so did I...

Oh, right, genuinely didn't realise that.

I'm amazed a Trinidadian would idolise a Guyanese, mind.
He played for the West Indies first and foremost. He was West Indian.
That's like saying it's surprising that a Londoner would idolize Geoff Boycott.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... it would be.

I'd truly be amazed if anyone outside Yorkshire ever idolised Geoff Boycott the batsman.

Indeed, idolising batsmen of his type is pretty unusual... only case I can think of it is Botham's always said he idolised Barrington, and that could only have been added to by Barrington later becoming his mentor before his tragically early death.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well... it would be.

I'd truly be amazed if anyone outside Yorkshire ever idolised Geoff Boycott the batsman.

Indeed, idolising batsmen of his type is pretty unusual... only case I can think of it is Botham's always said he idolised Barrington, and that could only have been added to by Barrington later becoming his mentor before his tragically early death.
Are you seriously debating this point? I can never tell and can scarcely believe that you would.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very true. What about Dravid and Kallis though?
Dravid and Kallis' stonewalling is nothing compared to Boycott's. Kallis suffers from the same stupidly-constructed arguments of selfishness, mind (and Dravid would do if he hadn't been well-spoken and had several opportunties to demonstrate his selflessness).

And in any case, none have ever portrayed the miserable-old-bugger portrait, the way Boycs always did. Even Kallis has only ever been the-really-quiet-one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you seriously debating this point? I can never tell and can scarcely believe that you would.
Which one? That Lara idolised Fredericks? No, not at all, I've never heard him talk of the matter.

That anyone outside Yorkshire idolised Boycott? Hell, yes! Half the country despised him, even as he was making huge contributions to countless Test victories (and non-defeats). Often for utterly absurd reasons. Boycott may have been admired by some (grudgingly both some of those some) but certainly there's no way he was ever idolised by anyone other than those who looked-up to what are often referred to as "solid Yorkshire virtues".

Mr Mxyzptlk

Which one? That Lara idolised Fredericks? No, not at all, I've never heard him talk of the matter.

That anyone outside Yorkshire idolised Boycott? Hell, yes! Half the country despised him, even as he was making huge contributions to countless Test victories (and non-defeats). Often for utterly absurd reasons. Boycott may have been admired by some (grudgingly both some of those some) but certainly there's no way he was ever idolised by anyone other than those who admired what are often referred to as "solid Yorkshire virtues".
The point is so blatantly that a person may support a player who plays for his country whether or not that player plays for his county or was born in his county. So...blatant...