Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 149

Thread: Cricketing namesakes

  1. #1
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909

    Cricketing namesakes

    I've just been listening to The Adverts' punk classic "Gary Gilmore's Eyes" & this set me off thinking: aside from the noble Aussie seamer, how many cricketers share their names with other famous (or in Gilmore's case infamous) people?

    Off the top of my head there are:

    Gary Gilmour/Gilmore - who's either a 70s Oz seamer who took six wickets in the 1975 WC semi or an executed American murderer.

    Rod Marsh - who's either an exulted Aussie wicket-keeper & sometime England selector or a flashy 1970s QPR, Fulham & Man City footballer who used to talk an inordinate amount of cobblers on Sky.

    David Lloyd - who's either Bumble or John Lloyd's crapper tennis-playing brother & former British Davis Cup captain.

    Alan Smith - who's either a 60s England keeper or one of two English international footballers; one an Arsenal legend, the other a stroppy tool.

    Jack White - who's either a 20s English spinner or the lead singer with The White Stripes.

    Charlie Parker - who's either another 20s English spinner or a famed jazz musician.

    Anyone think of anymore?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Chris Martin is the obvious one.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

    CricketWeb Black!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,553
    Yasir/Yasser Arafat - who's a Pakistani all-rounder, useful as a lower-order plunderer and once took nine wickets against England in a warm-up game or the deceased Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) (1969–2004) and President of the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) (1993–2004).

  4. #4
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Chris Martin is the obvious one.
    Ah, probably should've got him, yes.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    C Walsh = one of our esteemed team here & the one-time all-time leading Test wicket-taker.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I've just been listening to The Adverts' punk classic "Gary Gilmore's Eyes" & this set me off thinking: aside from the noble Aussie seamer, how many cricketers share their names with other famous (or in Gilmore's case infamous) people?

    Off the top of my head there are:

    Gary Gilmour/Gilmore - who's either a 70s Oz seamer who took six wickets in the 1975 WC semi or an executed American murderer.

    Rod Marsh - who's either an exulted Aussie wicket-keeper & sometime England selector or a flashy 1970s QPR, Fulham & Man City footballer who used to talk an inordinate amount of cobblers on Sky.

    David Lloyd - who's either Bumble or John Lloyd's crapper tennis-playing brother & former British Davis Cup captain.

    Alan Smith - who's either a 60s England keeper or one of two English international footballers; one an Arsenal legend, the other a stroppy tool.

    Jack White - who's either a 20s English spinner or the lead singer with The White Stripes.

    Charlie Parker - who's either another 20s English spinner or a famed jazz musician.

    Anyone think of anymore?
    F. Bulsara = D. Brumby?

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,793
    Bill O'Reilly - unfortunately at-large American word-spinner or deceased Australian leg-spinner

    Alastair Cook(e) - prolific accumulator of letters from America or prolific accumulator of runs for England
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Thinking of the Alastair line...

    Alastair Campbell = Mr. Blair's Director Of Communications for a time & one of Zimbabwe's best batsmen

  9. #9
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    F. Bulsara = D. Brumby?
    Well, oddly enough, I am a Zoroastrian from Zanzibar who prefers the company of men, but no.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Would then not one of Messrs May, Taylor or Deacon be a more appropriate avatar?

  11. #11
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Would then not one of Messrs May, Taylor or Deacon be a more appropriate avatar?
    No. It's solely down to me losing a bet. See the Ashes Avatar Challenge thread for further details. Fred will be gone come 5th Feb.

    Thought of another:

    Dave Allen: either a 60s England spinner or a late Irish comedian one finger short of a full set.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    No. It's solely down to me losing a bet. See the Ashes Avatar Challenge thread for further details. Fred will be gone come 5th Feb.
    I c's I duz.

    How about following him for a short time with a Deacon or a Taylor? Just for fun

  13. #13
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Ian Smith - Either a former New Zealand wicket-keeper and commentator for cricket and (IIRC) rugby as well or a former Prime Minister of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe (and one who once had lunch with Sir Garry Sobers)
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  14. #14
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, oddly enough, I am a Zoroastrian from Zanzibar who prefers the company of men, but no.
    Haha
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  15. #15
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Ian Bell - Either a English Test number 3 or a Scottish Jazz muscian who died in 2004 (thanks Wiki )

    Graeme Smith - Either the captain of the South African cricket team or the goal keeper for Scottish football (soccer) club Motherwell or a former Olympic Swimmer who won a Bronze in the Atlanta Olympics in the 1500m free style.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cricketing terms
    By Josh in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27-11-2006, 04:54 AM
  2. Piece of Cricketing History
    By alternative in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-07-2006, 04:33 PM
  3. Best/Favourite Cricketing Venues?
    By lord_of_darkness in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 09:26 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25-05-2004, 08:28 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-01-2004, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •