• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Ashes Return to the Winning Nation?

Should the Ashes Return to the Winning Nation?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stumped

Banned
technically isnt it meant to be owned by whoever wins?
thats what i think but the fragileness of the urn poses a problem but the ashes should be kept in australia, maybe sharing the ashes every 5 years or so u trade but i still believe at the moment the ashes should be kept here in australia

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leave them in England, the are "owned" by the MCC and should stay there.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
exactly! why dont you guys get it MCC owns it so it doesnt have to go anywhere...and the actuall urn isnt the trophy...the crystal replica is the trophy for the tournament!

Stumped

Banned
exactly! why dont you guys get it MCC owns it so it doesnt have to go anywhere...and the actuall urn isnt the trophy...the crystal replica is the trophy for the tournament!
yer i get it and i understand but its called the ashes, the urn has the ashes and we are playing for the ashes australia won...and the ashes "should" come to australia

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
First off the Ashes is not a "trophy", I went and saw it at the Melbourne musuesm the other day and read all the history behind it.

Some aussie chick gave to an england cricketer as a momentum for the game between Australia and England (I think England won). Then X amount of years later he donated it to a museum in England. That is where it sould stay. I mean if you donated something to a museum that means alot to you would you like to see it leave not onle the museum but the Country!

btw I am Australian, and I do love when Australia wins the "Ashes" but that is really the name of the series, It doesn't mean that we won the urn, just the ashes

Stumped

Banned
First off the Ashes is not a "trophy", I went and saw it at the Melbourne musuesm the other day and read all the history behind it.

Some aussie chick gave to an england cricketer as a momentum for the game between Australia and England (I think England won). Then X amount of years later he donated it to a museum in England. That is where it sould stay. I mean if you donated something to a museum that means alot to you would you like to see it leave not onle the museum but the Country!

btw I am Australian, and I do love when Australia wins the "Ashes" but that is really the name of the series, It doesn't mean that we won the urn, just the ashes
so should we just take the ashes out of the urn and take them to australia?

andyc

Don't care tbh (as opposed to the heaps of people that want to see them in Australia). The fact that they could be destroyed in transit is a pretty strong argument for leaving them in England.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

andyc

but they made a tour over here and there here so if it so dangerous to transport them y bother taking them back?
Because it was a one-time tour that hasn't happened for years? If you kept doing it every two years or so, there no doubt be noticeable damage caused to the thing. But seriously, who really cares? It's not as if the players would be allowed to actually handle it, even if it did return to the winning nation.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Botham was pretty damn passionate that it should stay with whoever holds the Ashes. Border and even Richard Branson agreed, but Botham was strongly putting his POV forward.

Richard Branson's comment that he feels disappointed that his airline will be involved in returning the Ashes to England was way over the top. :confused:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Why don't they burn new Ashes after each series and award them to the winner. They can start with cremating Duncan Fletcher for this series.