• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Fusion

Global Moderator
Shahid = at his luckiest greatness ..
Another potential captaincy candidate for my liking but as he has also been labeled as an ODI player . Just like Kaneria !
Sorry, not many label Kaneria an ODI player. Also, is it fair to say that if you were running PCB, Shoaib would be captain and Afridi vice-captain? Or possibly vice-versa?

FRAZ

International Captain
Sorry, not many label Kaneria an ODI player. Also, is it fair to say that if you were running PCB, Shoaib would be captain and Afridi vice-captain? Or possibly vice-versa?
Well my force was at the word Labeled and not the ODI's .. Yeah it's in my knowledge that Kaneria is only considered as the test bowler and vice versa .. Anyways I guess ODI's were the matter of concern over here IMHO. Nothing hurts if Afridi is tried after all !

FRAZ

International Captain
Well for my liking Shoaib Malik gotta be groomed as a captain and senior batsmen are supposed to just focus at their game . There should be one able deputy and it gotta be Afridi . After all SA has tried out the same sort of a thing . I will make sure that there are not many fitness problems with the players by hiring properly trained physiotherapists.Discipline is not negotiable in my books . There is going to be a proper check and balance . Waqar Younis will be brought back as the bowling coach . If any player is gonna raise finger at the team or it's strategy then he/she will have to explain it in front of the disciplinary committee .. The basic infrastructure of the game will be renovated and selection panel's pays will be subjected to the performances ....

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well for my liking Shoaib Malik gotta be groomed as a captain and senior batsmen are supposed to just focus at their game . There should be one able deputy and it gotta be Afridi . After all SA has tried out the same sort of a thing . I will make sure that there are not many fitness problems with the players by hiring properly trained physiotherapists.Discipline is not negotiable in my books . There is going to be a proper check and balance . Waqar Younis will be brought back as the bowling coach . If any player is gonna raise finger at the team or it's strategy then he/she will have to explain it in front of the disciplinary committee .. The basic infrastructure of the game will be renovated and selection panel's pays will be subjected to the performances ....
Well I was referring to Shoaib Akthar, but fair enough. At least you mentioned Malik, and not Akhtar, as being groomed for Captaincy. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I know an argument can be made for him. So I'm assuming you wouldn't name Akthar as Captain? If so, good for you.

Now let's talk about discipline. You said you would be strict in that aspect. However, you have stated before your ideal team would include Akhtar. How would you handle him? He's had clashes with the coach, captain, and other teammates. He's been fined multiple times. So how do you reconcile discipline and the "legend" (your word) Akhtar?

FRAZ

International Captain
Well I was referring to Shoaib Akthar, but fair enough. At least you mentioned Malik, and not Akhtar, as being groomed for Captaincy. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I know an argument can be made for him. So I'm assuming you wouldn't name Akthar as Captain? If so, good for you.

Now let's talk about discipline. You said you would be strict in that aspect. However, you have stated before your ideal team would include Akhtar. How would you handle him? He's had clashes with the coach, captain, and other teammates. He's been fined multiple times. So how do you reconcile discipline and the "legend" (your word) Akhtar?
You know what I believe that under sober circumstances I never voted for Shoaib Akhtar as a captain . I think that he should be left alone thats it . I mean why some people make this Akhtar issue as a big big one .tbh there is no issue there in the first place !

Fusion

Global Moderator
By the way who is your first choice ?
As disapointed as I was in him for throwing a tempre-tantrum, my first choice would still be Younis Khan. He is a good batsman, so can lead from the front. IMO, he's got a sound tactical mind, which has been demonstrated in games he captained. He's very energetic on the field and is always encouraging the team. I think he's got makings of a good Captain.

FRAZ

International Captain
As disapointed as I was in him for throwing a tempre-tantrum, my first choice would still be Younis Khan. He is a good batsman, so can lead from the front. IMO, he's got a sound tactical mind, which has been demonstrated in games he captained. He's very energetic on the field and is always encouraging the team. I think he's got makings of a good Captain.
Apart from the bold ed sentence I'll take it as a freedom of speech and well for the "tactical mind thing" ,I don't have words !

Fusion

Global Moderator
Apart from the bold ed sentence I'll take it as a freedom of speech and well for the "tactical mind thing" ,I don't have words !
Yes thank you for pointing out we have freedom of speech at CW.

As for questioning my assessment of Younis being of sound tactical mind, you just advanced the theory that Afridi could be considered captaincy material. That didn't sound ridiculous at all. 8-)

FRAZ

International Captain
Yes thank you for pointing out we have freedom of speech at CW.

As for questioning my assessment of Younis being of sound tactical mind, you just advanced the theory that Afridi could be considered captaincy material. That didn't sound ridiculous at all. 8-)
As for batting is concerned (which I believe is the basis of your judgement in this case ) ,why didn't you ever prefer Javed Miandad over Imran Khan as a captain ?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well I've got to doubt Younis's tactical nous after the team's struggles in the Champ's trophy. In Pakistan's second match against New Zealand I believe, he let the match drift away in an Inzi-like fasion when the bowlers had the Kiwis on the ropes. Instead of going in for the kill, he brought the spinners in and I think effectively lost that game for us. I think that this aspect of his captaincy can only improve with time though. In other ways I would say that he is probably the best man for the job, with his enthusiasm in the field and the respect he has from the players, if not the management.

I'd say Shoaib Malik would probably be the best choice for vice-captain, but there is that instance where he threw a match for Sialkot...

deeps

International 12th Man
Deeps that is just spot on !
I wasn't saying he should be VC, but it may have it's positives.

He was initially thought of as a future captain of Pakistan, he is vastly experienced now, and is still young so CAN hve many years in a leadership position in him.

However his batting style means he's pigeonholed as a one day player, and his test career seems to be stifling.

He deserved to be dropped this time, his form was poor, but I fear that he may never make a return again...however he is the king of come backs so i wouldn't rule that out.

Either way, in the test team, he'll be quickly dropped, thrown in and out of that side, and so it won't be good for stabillty.

Secondly, I don't believe it's a good idea to have different leaders in the one day and test arena.

So that alone, in my mind, would rule him out of the captaincy,or vice captaincy.

His disciplinary record is the toher issue.

Don't get me wrong, he is one of my favourite players in the world, and certainly my favourite pakistani cricketer, but I think he lost out any chance of captaincy after that pitch scuffing incident.

Fusion

Global Moderator
As for batting is concerned (which I believe is the basis of your judgement in this case ) ,why didn't you ever prefer Javed Miandad over Imran Khan as a captain ?
I never said that Younis should be captain based on his bating. If I wanted the best batsman to be captain, I would've said Yousaf. I said that since Younis is a good batsman, he can lead from the front and that can only add to his respect as captain.

Now care to explain what would make Afridi a good captain?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Great win for Pakistan today, and definitely a good day for Afridi. What was most heartening about his performance though IMO was his performance with the ball rather than the bat. You would have never thought it was such a belter of a track he was bowling on the way he was getting the ball to fizz around.

Overall, the Pakistan innings was an excellent display of good one day batting, especially on a pitch like this. Nazir, Younis and Yousuf all provided crucial knocks that were perfect given the match situation at the time. Still need to find a second opener though. :dry:

FRAZ

International Captain
I never said that Younis should be captain based on his bating. If I wanted the best batsman to be captain, I would've said Yousaf. I said that since Younis is a good batsman, he can lead from the front and that can only add to his respect as captain.

Now care to explain what would make Afridi a good captain?
So who do you believe is a suitable captain ? A batsman , bowler , handsome man , one with fearsome pace or a one who portrays in the field as if he is doing a lot by jumping here and there and also the one who disrespects the honour of captaincy by being a Diana king in the media ? Or do you think that on the basis of his batting style ,Afridi should never be given a chance or you think that a captain should be a responsible person who gives whatever he has every now and then or a one who has had collisions with the fastest in the world ,the current captain , and with Afridi himself ? Who Fusion who ?

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
but I think he lost out any chance of captaincy after that pitch scuffing incident.
Well every one has issues .I may also have some ,and so do you . Imran was taunted in the press as if he was ball tampering and bla . Anyways I guess that labeling the players for only one form of the game is a ridiculous issue in Pakistan . I mean these players (likes of Kaneria and Afridi ) would not have damaged the Pakistani cause as the other bunch of impotent openers and a super natural disaster called Sami ..... For pete sake give em some sort of a stable chance for lets say a year or so to play test and ODI cricket respectively and then do whatever you wanna do !