• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 Test Ashes series??????

loz185

Cricket Spectator
Hi all

The ashes is getting to be the most one-way tournament in sport.

So why not reduce it to a three match series, just like most other series' in world cricket???

Id rather spend three tests watching england in aus, watch the hammering and drubbing dealt out, then see england play the kiwis or someone else.

Why should England have to play Aus more than anyone else?

Ill probably get a barrage of complaints from traditionalists, and people who think england will compete, but id like to hear some feedback

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If the English team and the cricket board are masochists, there is very little anyone else can do about it, is there?:lol:Maybe they feel that in a 3 test series, there is every chance of getting blanked 3-0 while in a 5 test situation, after winning the first four, Australia might relax and let Eng win one.;)

Seriously, I feel a three test Ashes is appropriate in the current scenario. A longer series is much more interesting between better matched teams.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno, its just been done that way...what a lovely way for England to have to cope with after their longest ever International Summer...the ICC Trophy, a 5 Test Ashes Series...a Triangular 1 Day Tornament with Australia and Zimbabwe then the World Cup...3 Tests would have been a much better choice this series considering the World Cup too

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik
I dunno, its just been done that way...what a lovely way for England to have to cope with after their longest ever International Summer...the ICC Trophy, a 5 Test Ashes Series...a Triangular 1 Day Tornament with Australia and Zimbabwe then the World Cup...3 Tests would have been a much better choice this series considering the World Cup too

Um the triangular series is Australia-England and Sri Lanka....

Rich2001

International Captain
Well the series wasn't created on the current teams, the contest has been going on for ages and at times it has been a extermely close fault series. And as iam sure you know that the Ashes has already been reduced from 6 Tests to 5. So maybe in a few years time it might be reduced again with all the burnout fears of the players

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gregory Blewett
Originally posted by Rik

Um the triangular series is Australia-England and Sri Lanka....
Yeah...just noticed that on Cricinfo...d'oh!

[Edited on 6/11/2002 by Rik]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, I can't see it changing for a long time - it is the original series, and both the MCC and ACB want it to stay this length because of the history, AND the fact that it's their biggest money spinner.

David

International 12th Man
Consider this also

There are 6 states with vast distances between them.
if there is no Perth test, Perth people won't watch cricket, and thats bad.

Tasmania has already been shafted.

[Edited on 7/11/2002 by David]

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
Originally posted by Gotchya
AND the fact that it's their biggest money spinner
bulls eye
And it's only that because it is the most prestigeous Test Series in the World.
What prestige? For whom? The correct usage is And it's only that because it was the most prestigious Test Series in the World.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Nope. Its the prestigious Test Series because its their biggest money spinner.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Gotchya
Nope. Its the prestigious Test Series because its their biggest money spinner.
That I can agree with. Also that it is the most prestigious series for England and maybe even Australia, but definitely not the most prestigious in the test world.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The history suggests you're wrong - The Ashes captures the imagination more than any other series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We've had 262 posts in its thread in 46 hours... says enough. That's far more than the Eng-Ind threads with similar numbers of participating posters.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
The history suggests you're wrong - The Ashes captures the imagination more than any other series.
Don't talk about history. There was a time when it was indeed the premier series in the world. I already agreed to that. I am talking about the present. Whose imagination does it capture now, other than an Englishman's or an Aussies'? For the others, it is just another series, buddy.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
We've had 262 posts in its thread in 46 hours... says enough. That's far more than the Eng-Ind threads with similar numbers of participating posters.
Marc brought this up earlier and I already answered it. No mate, 262 posts in 46 hours doesn't make any series the premier one.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
England Vs. Australia...there is much more to this contest than cricket, also the Australians are distant relations of the English and love nothing better than beating them. Also its not such a bad contest at the moment is it?