• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis v Rahul Dravid

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Is that quicker than McGrath? I'm not very good with KPH.

By the way, I'm not having a go at McGrath, just curious.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Is that quicker than McGrath? I'm not very good with KPH.

By the way, I'm not having a go at McGrath, just curious.
Yes, Kallis bowled a couple around the 142 mark today (average 135 plus), McGrath around the 130 mark currently at Perth, I believe.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I would take Rahul Dravid but I beleive he is probably "built up" a little bit by the fact he plays for India and has always been the lynchpin of their batting lineup, entirely dependable and usually performs for them. Not saying that Kallis doesn't do this but he doesn't get the same amount of attention.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Perm said:
Personally I would take Rahul Dravid but I beleive he is probably "built up" a little bit by the fact he plays for India and has always been the lynchpin of their batting lineup, entirely dependable and usually performs for them. Not saying that Kallis doesn't do this but he doesn't get the same amount of attention.
Not exactly a scathing criticism of him.

Dravid it seems to me has performed more often when the team needs him to. Therefore I'd have to give it to him with the bat. Kallis is a good bowler, but he doesn't really bowl too much nowadays, which is a real shame.

Perm

I think it's a common misconception that Kallis doesn't bowl much these days, certainly he doesn't bowl as much as he used to but he still bowls a reasonable amount. He's not needed for the bowling attack as much as Flintoff is needed for England but he still bowls a fair amount for a guy who was always a batsman that bowled and not a true all rounder.

Craig

World Traveller
silentstriker said:
Dunno about the batting being close though (all round its Kallis obviously). They have a similar style certainly. Dravid has something like five double centuries, not sure if Kallis has any.
Kallis has a highest Test score of 189* and a highest FC score of 200.

For mine he and Vaughan would up near the list of best guys never to score a 200 in Tests. Heck Gillespie has one :laugh:

Gillespie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kallis and Vaughan :laugh: :ph34r: :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Perm said:
Both are rather sedate players when it comes strike rates but the point is, Dravid HAS to perform that role in this Indian side. Not sure if Kallis HAS to perform the holding role in the RSA side, given that till Smith emerged, they really didn't have another attacking batting option in their side in the top 6. That is the part why people tend to think Kallis to be a bit of a selfish player. Geoffrey Boycott once mentioned on commentary that Kallis was very aware of his record and how it was very poor due to him starting very early in international cricket in his career and how he wanted to make up for it. You probably wouldn't see Dravid playing defensive cricket when the team needs him to be attacking.

Plus Kallis never really plays the REAL big knocks, which are a big feature for me when discussing a batsman's ability. So, as a batter, I would go for Dravid but over all, it is obviously Kallis.

Perm

You could go purely on averages against Australia which would mean Dravid wins, or you could do centuries which means Kallis wins. Interesting to note that Dravid has scored 1 more duck against Australia than Kallis.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Perm said:
You could go purely on averages against Australia which would mean Dravid wins, or you could do centuries which means Kallis wins. Interesting to note that Dravid has scored 1 more duck against Australia than Kallis.
If the averages were real close then I could understand taking the centuries and ducks in to account, but here there is a huge difference AFAIC.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Craig said:
Kallis has a highest Test score of 189* and a highest FC score of 200.

For mine he and Vaughan would up near the list of best guys never to score a 200 in Tests. Heck Gillespie has one :laugh:

Gillespie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kallis and Vaughan :laugh: :ph34r: :p
That's not what I am saying. But being able to score big is one of the qualities of a great batsman, and its one of the reasons why people rate Lara above Tendy (as an example).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Kallis can score runs pretty fast, and hit big 6s when he wants to, he just doesn't really like it, not sure Dravid can.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Kallis can score runs pretty fast, and hit big 6s when he wants to, he just doesn't really like it, not sure Dravid can.
Um, Dravid scores quite fast when the team requires him to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
PhoenixFire said:
91 off 114 balls vs. Aus in a test match when quick runs were wanted.
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T4_02-06JAN2004.html
50 off 22 balls vs. NZ in a ODI batting at the death.
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/OD_TOURNEYS/TVS/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_TVS_ODI9_15NOV2003.html

Dravid in the last 5 years has improved greatly, and can lift the tempo when the team needs be. There is no question Kallis is the better batsman at hitting the big boundaries and sixes, but Dravid can do it to, and does it more often. Whether that's a slight on Kallis or not is up for debate really.