Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WC final to be hosted in Mumbai

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    It would look like this:

The capacity of the ground isn't really important these days. As long as it's a reasonable size, the TV audience is all that matters.
    It's always better to have a sell out though. 45k is a bit small though
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    And maybe you'll have won a game in Australia by then.

OK, so I'm just sour because I can't think of a single way to refute your statement.

In any case, I would take a Test series in in SA over a world cup anyday. It would certainly take a bigger effort IMO. Not that either is likely, mind you.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Suprised you wouldn't TBH. WC is great and all, but an overseas test victory, especially aganst a very good team under conditions that are absolutely against what the Indian team is good at (i.e good solid cricketing conditions)? It wouldn't be close for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E
    what stadium is that?

sydney or eden gardens?

Suprised you wouldn't TBH. WC is great and all, but an overseas test victory, especially aganst a very good team under conditions that are absolutely against what the Indian team is good at (i.e good solid cricketing conditions)? It wouldn't be close for me.
    That's interesting. Though I consider Test Cricket to be the better form of the game, I wouldn't trade one away Test series victory over being the WC Champions. Plus, in the case of SA, the victory is not against the best team in the world, so it's not like you're trading being the best in ODI for being the best in Test (or at least beating the best). You get to be anointed the World Champions for 4 freaking years if you win the World Cup. So in my case, I would take a WC finals victory over a series win against the 2nd/3rd/4th best team in Test.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Same reasons as Fusion.

Neither would I. Mind you, test cricket >>>>> one-day cricket.

Still, the World Cup >>> any test series. The only thing that would be on par with a World Cup is utter domination in test cricket (ie what Australia recently managed).

Wow, I'm shocked to hear you guys say that. I guess I am in the minority. I always knew I was in the minority compared to the whole population, but on CW I would have thought otherwise.

If it was a win in India vs. SA, I would say not. But in SA, where we just got thumped in ODI, and where the conditions do not suit us at all...to win a test series? That would be beyond amazing for me TBH, much more so than winning a bunch of ODI games.

The World Cup is not simply "winning a bunch of ODI games". Winning a World Cup means that you can call yourself the best one-day team in the world.
    I would take a series victory in South Africa over a victory in the Champions Trophy, Asia Cup or any other one-day series for sure.

World Cup > Away Victory vs. Aus > Away Victory vs. Eng/SA/NZ/WI > Home Victory vs. AUS > Victory vs. PAK > Away ODI Victory vs. AUS > Away ODI Victory vs. SA >
    All Other Test Victories > All Other ODI Victories IMO

By the way, by Victory I mean a positive series result, not a one-off.
    Last edited by adharcric; 13-12-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    The World Cup is not simply "winning a bunch of ODI games". Winning a World Cup means that you can call yourself the best one-day team in the world.
    I would take a series victory in South Africa over a victory in the Champions Trophy, Asia Cup or any other one-day series for sure.
    I guess, but even if you can call yourself the best one day cricket team in the world...so what? I dunno, I see ODI's as fun little things on the side, I am not sure if I would take that much pride in winning a WC, that I would from beating SA in their home.

I guess, but even if you can call yourself the best one day cricket team in the world...so what? I dunno, I see ODI's as fun little things on the side, I am not sure if I would take that much pride in winning a WC, that I would from beating SA in their home.
    what? you are taking tests too high...yes it great than odi but saying a test series is better that the world cup? uh no not even ashes is beter than the world cup because you play a whole much of teams to win it all? how many teams you have to beat to win a series one no matter how many games you play...you focus on that one team in the world cup you have different plans for different teams it takes a different skill to win the world cup....so saying a test series is better is taking it way too far....

what? you are taking tests too high...yes it great than odi but saying a test series is better that the world cup?
    Easily.

uh no not even ashes is beter than the world cup because you play a whole much of teams to win it all? how many teams you have to beat to win a series one no matter how many games you play...you focus on that one team in the world cup you have different plans for different teams it takes a different skill to win the world cup....so saying a test series is better is taking it way too far....
    Eh? Taking it too far? I think winning a test series in South Africa would be a greater test of skill than winning a WC. If you disagree, more power to you. For me, its not even close. Winning a series in South Africa, England or Australia would easily be better than winning the word cup, by a huge margin. It wouldn't even be close.

Easily.

Eh? Taking it too far? I think winning a test series in South Africa would be a greater test of skill than winning a WC. If you disagree, more power to you. For me, its not even close. Winning a series in South Africa, England or Australia would easily be better than winning the word cup, by a huge margin. It wouldn't even be close.
    so you care more about skill than performing? ok ashrafuls quick hundred agaisnt australia and his maiden test century against sri lanka shows great skill but that didn get him on the team ....he had to show he could perform....world cup you have to perform game after game and try to win in test you try to win and then when you in deep hole you try to draw.....and think about performing in the next test to win it....whatever you have you own opinion and the majority has theirs but just because you hold test the highest doesn make you a true cricket fan doesnt matter what kind you like or if you like all of them you just have to be a true fan to be one you could like odi's and be a true cricket fan doesn't matter...any way not questioning you fanability but i just think world cup is the most important thing

so you care more about skill than performing? ok ashrafuls quick hundred agaisnt australia and his maiden test century against sri lanka shows great skill but that didn get him on the team ....he had to show he could perform....world cup you have to perform game after game and try to win in test you try to win and then when you in deep hole you try to draw.
    I'm sorry but winning a test against Australia in Australia is a hell of a lot harder than winning an ODI against anyone. I mean its not even close. Hell if you manage to win a test series in Australia, you've just done something that no other side has done in what? 15 years? It is ridiculously hard to do so. WC wins are not even remotely close to the skill, commitment and consistent excellence thats required.

And no, its not easy to draw tests against teams like Australia.

but just because you hold test the highest doesn make you a true cricket fan doesnt matter what kind you like or if you like all of them you just have to be a true fan to be one you could like odi's and be a true cricket fan doesn't matter...any way not questioning you fanability but i just think world cup is the most important thing
    When did I say anything about true fan? I said, personally, I wouldn't give a toss who won the WC if we win the series in South Africa. If you disagree, I never said you shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm watching the best series in cricket (Ashes) and watching Harmison make crap of England plans again, so you'll find me in the Ashes thread.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information