• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The not allowed to mention Glenn McGrath thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
. Search: Key Word(s): McGrath ; Posts Made By: silentstriker

Showing results 1 to 25 of 221
Search took 1.87 seconds
Can I help it if people mention him a lot? Also, could it be picking up my signature?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Mid 80s.

Just out of interest, how fast was McGrath at his quickest, and did he ever go over 90mph, which is pretty quick for a medium pace dibbly-dobbler like him.
McGrath was more or less the same pace throughout his entire career. He may have lost a few kph in the last 12 months or so, though in Brisbane he seemed back to his normal self so it's hard to say how much his niggling injuries are hampering him. He's always been fast-medium, anyway.

McGrath certainly could bowl a bit quicker when he was younger, but I don't think he strived to do so after his international career kicked off. It isn't always an advantage, after all. Since speed guns became standard fare at the end of the 90s, McGrath has always been in the 130-135 kph range, basically 80-84 mph. He used to get the odd delivery into the high 130s, but he's always been in the low 130s on average. I was watching some footage from 2000/01 against the West Indies, which is around the middle of his career and as well as he's ever bowled, and he had the odd delivery below 130 in the Brisbane test, when he took 10 for 27 from 33 overs for the match.

It's one of the reasons why it's funny when people always talk about McGrath losing pace as evidence of him being finished every 12 months or so. He's always been the same pace, similar to Hadlee and Alderman and other successful fast-medium bowlers. He's not like someone like Pollock, who started out express and gradually got slower as his career went on.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Mid 80s.

Just out of interest, how fast was McGrath at his quickest, and did he ever go over 90mph, which is pretty quick for a medium pace dibbly-dobbler like him.
I hate you with every fiber of my being. The ****les of my heart ache for the day when you die a horrible death. :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
It was actually a serious question, I just added that Dibbly-Dobbler bit on to irritate you.
Well then, as a serious answer, no, he did not ever bowl 90+, though he could bowl a bit faster in his youth, but he chose to bowl the right way instead and focus on taking wickets.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Im Confused, so we dont mention Glenn Mccgrath, even though every post has his name in?

He's a great bowler, but he really does grind my gears.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Im Confused, so we dont mention Glenn Mccgrath, even though every post has his name in?

He's a great bowler, but he really does grind my gears.
Join the crew, we should start a society.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
We are so launching a Holy War on your evil society.

Founder and Chief Priest of the Church of GM-OLAS
(Glenn McGrath - Our Lord And Savior) - Any criticism is heresy. Punishment is death-by-beamer.Speak to me to join.
Well it wouldn't be from a McGrath beamer as he doesn't bowl fast enough :)