• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gay cricketers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Most gay athletes only "come out" at the tail-end of their careers or after they've retired though, so it's really a case of the exceptions and the rule. I'm fine with a discussion of homosexuality in sport, but I don't think we should take the route of investigation as to who is gay and who is not.
I'm not sure what kind of "investigation" one could do anyway. It'd be baseless speculation and nothing else. I don't really think there's anything wrong with that, other than that it's a waste of time.

Anyway, the player in question came out during his career, and there's a couple of famous incidents regarding players giving him crap over it on the field etc. As I said earlier in the thread though, I agree that most sportspeople would choose not to come out, including cricketers.

dass

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And yet this is meant to be a serious topic? Come off it. A mild warning for trolling.

Don't encourage him, Rich.

buddy i think you locked the wrong thread :laugh: you were suppose to lock this one not the Lara thread:laugh:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The whole Australian Team, and their dads

Me 1-0 Australia.

Ok, but seriously, I dont give a damn if your gay, lesbian, straight, or green. Just as long as your not From Der... Derry

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm sure that's true in many cases, but there have out gay men in fairly "manly" sports before. Someone who follows rugby league will know his name, but there was a pretty well known and successful gay player in the NRL in the 90s. I'm sure he dealt with a lot of crap over it, but it didn't prevent him from getting a place in the team or anything.
Ian Roberts. Big fella & could fight too. I doubt too many called him a poove more than once.

Def played origin for NSW & I think possibly played for Oz too. Shows that gay sportsmen can be successful & well-adjusted.

Justin Fashnu (English Association Footballer) came out, but tragically took his own life after being accused of abusing a teenager he was coaching. Bill Tilden, multi-Grand Slam Tennis winner, served a couple of prison sentences for ***ual activity with young men after his career ended.

I dunno of any cricketers, but with its public school background, frankly I'd be very surprised if there weren't some homosexualists who've been successful in our sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.