• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Article on Ponting - Kumar Sangakkar

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting that you'd take a comment which was obviously an exaggeration in the moment of typing, and take so much pleasure from pointing out the erroneous ways in it.

Then again, if it were to be anyone, I'd 'figure as much that it would've been you.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oooh. Scathing. Some introspection definitely required here. Definitely introspection. Definitely.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Have you heard every international cricketer speak?
Thats like saying the guy who wins the olympics isn't the fastest guy because all 6 billion people didn't run the race. The statement obviously means 'of the guys that give press conferences and I've heard, he is the most eloquent.'

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pretty stupid claim, IMO.

Hardly, listening to him speak on Cricket AM, he seemed to be a very articulate and clever guy. He speaks great English, and seems to have a good sense of humour too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
Thats like saying the guy who wins the olympics isn't the fastest guy because all 6 billion people didn't run the race. The statement obviously means 'of the guys that give press conferences and I've heard, he is the most eloquent.'
Not quite that obvious. It could be obvious if it were phrased better.

Sorry, I mean "definitely introspection". Definitely.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PhoenixFire said:
Hardly, listening to him speak on Cricket AM, he seemed to be a very articulate and clever guy. He speaks great English, and seems to have a good sense of humour too.
I have no doubt that he's one of the most articulate international cricketers around.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Right you've just lost me. Nevermind,
Liam was disagreeing with a claim (serious/exaggerated(sp) or not) that Sangakarra was "fairly comfortably the most articulate int'l cricketer around at the moment" not that he wasn't one of the most articulate

personally he's the most articulate that i've seen extensive interviewing etc with

PhoenixFire

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Liam was disagreeing with a claim (serious/exaggerated(sp) or not) that Sangakarra was "fairly comfortably the most articulate int'l cricketer around at the moment" not that he wasn't one of the most articulate

personally he's the most articulate that i've seen extensive interviewing etc with
I get you, thanks. Why can't all people talk like that?

Mr Mxyzptlk

chipmonk said:
So what have you got against Kumar ? or is this some sort of Superiority Complex rasing its head Eh Mr. Mx.... ?
He's too feminine.

* I have nothing against any international cricketer.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Kumar wrote a decent article, even though he pointed out the obvious about Ponting's unsual first step as a weakness, he did not point out that this weakness has not really been effectively tested. Gilchrist is another player who people thought was unconventional with his cuts, and would fail and teams did test him there but he overcame that again and again. I don't know if Ponting has been tested like that or will be. Still he is the best bet in cricket right now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
2005 Ashes? 2006 Champions Trophy?
Haha what? You realise that all his dismissals in the CT were totally different? He dragged a wide one on, was caught twice in the slips, once after making 50, caught at mid-on after making 50 and then LBW to a straight one for a duck. How is that someone "testing out" his weakness? It's just a random selection of dismissals for a guy who wasn't playing particularly well, against four different teams no less.

Mr Mxyzptlk

FaaipDeOiad said:
Haha what? You realise that all his dismissals in the CT were totally different? He dragged a wide one on, was caught twice in the slips, once after making 50, caught at mid-on after making 50 and then LBW to a straight one for a duck. How is that someone "testing out" his weakness? It's just a random selection of dismissals for a guy who wasn't playing particularly well, against four different teams no less.
Early in his innings Ponting shuffles across his stumps and therefore plays at balls he doesn't need to. And in the Ashes and the CT he has certainly been tested out in that area. He may not always have been dismissed by it, but he certainly has looked very vulnerable against it.

You don't have to be dismissed to be tested out.