• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Suresh raina

shud suresh raina stay in the indian team

• Yes

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ganguly would be a massive backward step. Laxman, maybe. Raina...I don't know. Maybe give him the Saffie series as a last chance to show himself.

He's only 19, to he will be back in a couple years most likely, he isn't ready yet.

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Ganguly would be a massive backward step. Laxman, maybe. Raina...I don't know. Maybe give him the Saffie series as a last chance to show himself.

He's only 19, to he will be back in a couple years most likely, he isn't ready yet.

agreed! But IMO should be last chance!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the South African series will be Raina's chance to fufill the potential he has shown. Uthappa hit a fine century just recently and looks to be a very promising player.

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
One Sehwag is too many.

Utappa did well in the 2 matches that he did play. But, if he insists on playing like sehwag, then as u said, one sehwag is too many anyway!! :laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't lived up to his potential with the bat from all the pre-hype he got i think, although he is superb in the field. But i guess India can persisit with him since going back towards Ganguly & Laxman probably isn't the way to roll...

Nishant

International 12th Man
aussie said:
Hasn't lived up to his potential with the bat from all the pre-hype he got i think, although he is superb in the field. But i guess India can persisit with him since going back towards Ganguly & Laxman probably isn't the way to roll...

Aussie, is it me or have u not been around on CW much lately?

R_D

International Debutant
Kweek said:
If you don't know than simply don't post.

Raina's been pretty dissappointing with the bat. SA probaly his last chance but he doesn't yet look ready for international cricket. Few more seasons in domestic will help a lot.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
Note– superb in the field. The Indians have been anything but, while all four semi-finalists in the Champions Trophy have been just that. This should keep him in the team ahead of supposedly better (though certainly more experienced) batsmen. The suggested replacements are no Sachins or Dravids that they should get ahead of him.

shortpitched713

International Captain
He shouldn't be in the team. I'd rather see Laxman, tbh, Raina is too young, and should be given a few more years in domestic cricket. On the same token the Indian selectors shouldn't just forget about him, like they have done to other young talent that was brought in too early and wasn't an instant success.

adharcric

International Coach
He's a young talent with a big role to play in the future of Indian cricket, but if he doesn't get his act together in South Africa he needs to be sent back to the domestic cricket. The two options IMO are Laxman and Badrinath. Laxman has experience, proven class and match-winning ability against Australia. Badrinath has form, athleticism and youth on his side.

In fact, even Mongia and Raina need to perform in South Africa, although they have fared better than Raina of late in few opportunities. This tour should give us a good idea of who should and shouldn't be in the national side (test as well as one-day) and hopefully the selectors make appropriate changes to seal the deal.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
You have some determination to win the Skull SS.

As for as Raina goes. Last chance for him, and I agree with the selectors on this. The kid hasn't done anything to help the team, so far I have just seen him hurt the team.

As far as Gamhir goes. He is a victim of politics, nothing else. Otherwise he would be in teh squad.

As far as another Sehwag goes....No

As far as Ganguly and Laxman go. Gangulys days are over, he isn't going further than domestic Cricket before the World Cup. However would be a really good choice to give Laxman ago again.

C_C

International Captain
I absolutely disagree with anyone who thinks this is 'last chance' for Raina.
IMO, Raina has the makings of an excellent batsman- he has quite a solid technique, isnt afraid of the short ball and can occasionally play very mature innings.
he gets starts very often too and doesnt convert - that suggests someone not short on talent and skill to make it at the top level but youth and indiscipline.
I'd agree that if Raina doesnt get consistent soon, he should be dropped for a few seasons. But he is no way a candidate for being 'written off'.
India cannot afford to do this.
Cricket has moved on and if you notice the success of the Australia, one thing becomes apparent- the days of almost every other player starting out at '19-21-22' age range is well and truely over for all but the greatest of talents.
Most decent/very good batsmen are ripe for the picking in their mid-late 20s and India has a tendency to blood promising players before they are ready and promptly forget about them.
For eg, Zaheer Khan, right now, is bowling well enough to be in the top 2 pacers from India. Yet he is seen as 'finished' and now he cant buy a spot except for being on injury-duty.
India needs to nurture its Kasprowicz, its Haydens and whatnot. Not only is it optimal usage of the current skill-level in the pool at any given time, it adds precisely the kind of motivation for the young ones to not grow overly complacent and mediocre after a few good performances or a year of good playing.
Take Yuvvy for example- he too needs to be dropped simply to convince him the idea that having a good year last year doesnt mean he is given the same grace period as a Lara,Tendulkar or Dravid- he has to earn that by standing the test of time.