• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I know what you're going to say, but:

Weekes average: 58
Richards average: 50
And you know what I'm going to say but...

Is every batsman with a Test average higher than 50.23 to be considered better than Viv?

No reflection on Weekes here, more the logic in the point that a higher Test average always means a better batsman.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's why I don't have Lara in my alltime Windies - on the face of it its ridiculous, but you've got a player with a record like Weekes, and then you've got a package like Viv, and they can't all fit!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's why I don't have Lara in my alltime Windies - on the face of it its ridiculous, but you've got a player with a record like Weekes, and then you've got a package like Viv, and they can't all fit!
Just drop Sobers and play 4 bowlers :ph34r:

adharcric

International Coach
By the way, Weekes averaged 69 at home and 50 away. He averaged only 25 in Australia. Just pointing it out. :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the middle order strength of the Windies is staggering, you could make a solid case to leave out ALL of the 3 Ws, which is just ridiculous. And for each one of them you put into the side, out goes a Headley, or a Lara, or a Richards - the only real lock is Sobers.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Seems to me that the W's are getting more attention than they deserve on the basis of their surnames. Had they been different, they would garner less support.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see Warne being too much of a factor with Lara there, tbh.

I think Windies will just nudge above Australia, even with Bradman....
Well based on what occured during their great careers once Warne was fit & bowling at the his best he certainly was a challenging opponent to Lara.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, it isn't the All-Time Windies vs All-Time Aussies we've all be salivating for, but I got Virtual Cricket 4 working on my computer and this was, absolutely no kidding, the result of the first match I simmed, between my personal All-Time XI, and my All-Time 2nd XI. I'd say it would easily be the greatest match never played.

Sorry - they're thumbnails - I'm not tech-savvy enough to get them online so I can do the IMG tag thing to them.

Anyway, match had a bit of everything - a duck from Bradman in the first innings, with Hadlee and Murali getting amongst it, then Marshall ripping the guts out of the 2nd XI, despite staunch resistence from Keith Miller and Weekes, before a Bradman ton in the second dig gave the 2nd XI a total that was always going to be challenging... And the result? :cool:

Attachments

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, it isn't the All-Time Windies vs All-Time Aussies we've all be salivating for, but I got Virtual Cricket 4 working on my computer and this was, absolutely no kidding, the result of the first match I simmed, between my personal All-Time XI, and my All-Time 2nd XI. I'd say it would easily be the greatest match never played.

Sorry - they're thumbnails - I'm not tech-savvy enough to get them online so I can do the IMG tag thing to them.

Anyway, match had a bit of everything - a duck from Bradman in the first innings, with Hadlee and Murali getting amongst it, then Marshall ripping the guts out of the 2nd XI, despite staunch resistence from Keith Miller and Weekes, before a Bradman ton in the second dig gave the 2nd XI a total that was always going to be challenging... And the result? :cool:
You're f*cking kidding me!

What a match. And what a performance from KR Miller - if only you'd given him a bowl in the first innings the 2nd XI might have gotten up... ;)

pasag

RTDAS

Lol!

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
I'd still have an issue with Walcott.

As keeper first 15 matches at 40 Av
As non keeper next 29 matches at 64 Av

Clearly his average would have gone up but by how much? An average of 40 still puts him well ahead of Dujon but should their be a limit on how many matches you were keeper. It takes 20 to get into the batting stats, how many matches before your counted as a keeper.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well based on what occured during their great careers once Warne was fit & bowling at the his best he certainly was a challenging opponent to Lara.
challenging yes, but I have never really seen Lara having too much trouble with Warne or any other spinner for that matter......