• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Perfection Personified'

PhoenixFire

International Coach
"For 12 1/2 hours, Mahela Jayawardene was perfection personified"

I read this quote in TWC and thought it was a great one. Who do you think in the history has been perfect in their batting/bowling or keeping, and why?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I forgot to say that please don't keep saying Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, becuase it is fairly obvious, and deems the thread pretty much pointless.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ian Botham, 3rd test vs Australia at Headingly (need I say more).

He scored a pair in the 2nd test, gave up the captaincy, then went on to take 6-95, then 50, then 149* following on when the test was all but lost (Eng were 5-105 when he came in, still 122 runs behind Aus) and finally 1-14 to help Willis win the test from an impossible position.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1981/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T3_16-21JUL1981.html

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
I forgot to say that please don't keep saying Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, becuase it is fairly obvious, and deems the thread pretty much pointless.
Bradman, Bradman, Bradman.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
I never saw that one coming :dry:
The sad thing is that you actually didn't.:D

Anyway, if we're talking about a particular period of play I would go for the 169 made by Roy Fredericks at Perth on the Windies 75/76 tour.
I enjoyed the Botham innings mentioned above but that was really more of slog that came off in what he thought was a lost cause.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Tendulkar and McGrath at their best are close to perfect imo. More so than anybody i've seen on a cricket field.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I really did. In fact I said 'I bet some little **** is gonna say 'Bradman, Bradman, Bradman', and think they're funny", and low and behold they did. You can ask my duvet for evidence.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
I really did. In fact I said 'I bet some little **** is gonna say 'Bradman, Bradman, Bradman', and think they're funny", and low and behold they did. You can ask my duvet for evidence.
Ha, wrong again. I didn't think it was funny. I just did it to annoy you, and your duvet has just told me that it worked.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
You call her your duvet?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Leeds, isn't specific. I live in Ilkley which if you know the area is pretty posh. I was born in Keighley however......