• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Build Up

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Rik
Giles has a strange aversion to taking more than one wicket against even State teams all over the world
Like his 3-42 in the first innings then?

He's the best spinner we've got.

Now, time to carry this good form through to Brisbane!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
England should be heartened by their performance. WA has a handy attack and a fairly good batting line up so to almost get a result will do their confidence good.

A couple of players got some good time in the middle like Key, Trescothick and Hussain while Caddick and Jones have impressed with the ball.

A couple of spots must still be worrying them. Crawley has not played well and neither has Giles (the only real spin option on tour). They also need Flintoff back to be more competitive. White is a good stop gap measure but not a high quality all rounder.

The Australian team will obviously be much harder opposition but England will go into the first test with more confidence than they would have had on the last couple of tours.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
My predicted Aussie lineup would include lee (though boichel is wvery good too) and i would say that Mcgrath and Gilleespie would open the bowling, taking 1 or 2 wickets each, than Warne and Lee (bichel) come onj and rip throuhg the middle order and than McGrath and Gillespie come on and clean the tail, then tha ausie bats come on and dominate fior 2 days, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn and Gilly all scoring 100's tahn the aussies will rip through the english batting - again

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They also need Flintoff back to be more competitive. White is a good stop gap measure but not a high quality all rounder.
There are those that would argue Flintoff isn't either.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff just needs to work on his bowling, you can't take wickets at Test level unless either you swing it or you have amazing control like McGrath.

The Oval pitch was rather unhelpful as Tuffers who spins the ball a lot could barely get it to turn and Afzaal who gives the ball a rip barely turned it too...only Warne turned it and he's a wrist spinner.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes England performed creditably in this last match at WACA, and performances in these matches are important but no one should start believing that this is the real thing......it may have little impact on the outcome of the series.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't think this performance will have any bearing on the test series. England are still on their way to lose and lose big.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well 2 things which might make a bearing on the series from what went on in this match...Langer didn't look too great when opening and only scored runs down the order...and England's batsmen knocked Williams out of contention for the Tests. I see Australia haven't picked Nicholson after his usual 5fer against England...like they did last time...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
Well 2 things which might make a bearing on the series from what went on in this match...Langer didn't look too great when opening and only scored runs down the order...and England's batsmen knocked Williams out of contention for the Tests. I see Australia haven't picked Nicholson after his usual 5fer against England...like they did last time...
In what way will it have a bearing on the series?

Hayden is still in awesome form.
The Aussie lineup is still impressive with Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Waugh, Lehmann & Gilchrist. Do the English bowlers have an answer to this lineup?

McGrath, Warne & Gillespie will still play and the other bowlers(whoever that may be) make up the supporting cast anyway. So, have the English batsmen suddenly developed an answer to Warne and McGrath?

I think not. The Englishmen might put up a fight, but they just don't have the ammo to counter the Aussies, injury or no injury.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think England's key will be getting an early wicket or 2 - the middle order has been known to collapse in the past.

Having said that, I can't see past 3 or 4-1 to Australia unfortunately.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think England's key will be getting an early wicket or 2 - the middle order has been known to collapse in the past.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Because if you count the players who weren't that impressive last time then the picture doesn't look so rosey. Hayden struggled, Langer did till he played in the last test, Lee got smacked around and has not been the same since. And if you look at the way England have played Murali and Saqulain and Harbajan, 3 of the best spinners in the world as well as Kumble...you will be that they have probably already sorted out a plan against Warne. And if they have expect it to be very effective. All the others have been.

Rich2001

International Captain
Tour Match: QLD vs Eng X1

QLD: Batting first

Match State After 22 Overs

QLD: 78/2

*JP Maher c Butcher b Caddick 41 (47)

BP Nash c Trescothick b Caddick 18 (50)

ML Love not out 10 (21)

SG Law not out 7 (11)

To Bat: A Symonds, LA Carseldine, +WA Seccombe, AA Noffke, MS Kasprowicz, NM Hauritz, DR MacKenzie.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technique and talent aren't lacking for England against Australia. The problem is mental. They are (unfortunately) intimidated by them.

Look at what happened to SA last year and earlier this year. SA is a fine side which I believe is as good as the Aussies however, they got pinned by being intimidated.

England need to play a good first day to establish that they are ready to compete.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well face the facts tho the england team does not have as much talent as Australian team not by far.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe not but they work out good plans against opposition players. I hope they take a leaf from the NZ book and frustrate McGrath and belt Warne out of the attack.