• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Build Up

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah this is the first time they all played well overseas consistently. Otherwise only one or two used to perform. By the way , white has been selected ahead of tudor.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Errrm Ganguly and Sehwag are really lower order players...Harmison bowled Ganguly and Jones bowled Sehwag...although the form Ganguly was in before the England tour I'd settle for him being classed as a lower order batsman...:lol:

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison Rant

I know I've joined this debate a little late but for god's sake, am I alone in wondering if a county/Test bowler shouldn't be bowling 3 wides let alone 7 or however many. I mean for god's sake it was against a Chairman's XI so it was hardly a pressure situation. Seriously unimpressed as I'm a pace bowler and I've never bowled more than 3 wides before and I play competitive league cricket in the lower echlons of the Thames Valley League, Middlesex. (Used to anyway...)

He's a county bowler and getting the yips in the opening game might not amount to much for the forthcoming Ashes tour but it's unprofessional and not whats to be expected for an international cricketer.

Losing that game might be the kick in the backside we need but it just gets me wondering if touring teams like SA or Aus would turn up and play like that...ever!

So the message is: Shape Up immediately or risk getting squashed like bugs in Oz. Personally I think we have a good chance to make a decent fist of things but no more half-baked performances please.

From a seriously unimpressed England fan
in Dorset

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by vishnureddy
White has been selected ahead of Tudor.
Thank God for that.

Let's also ignore this WA Match as it was a warm up, and erm, we're not used to facing Window Cleaners...

126-8... *Insert Volley of Expletives Here*

At least Caddick and Hoggard can bat (!)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
So, when they can't get Indian batsman who are very poor away how can they trouble the aussies.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that really poor indian middle order of Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly! :D
...and Laxman. That makes them absolutely poverty-stricken.;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
Errrm Ganguly and Sehwag are really lower order players...Harmison bowled Ganguly and Jones bowled Sehwag...although the form Ganguly was in before the England tour I'd settle for him being classed as a lower order batsman...:lol:
Not quite accurate. In the Windies series, he averaged 53, played some significant, fighting, back-to-the-wall innings. He sort of turned the corner during that Windies tour.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sorry guys messed it up. I was going to say that they were good bowlers but they are hyped too much just as Zaheer Khan. Also Laxman has only had one good away series in WI.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by vishnureddyAlso they do not have much pace also. They are around 145 kmph ( Around Ntini and Hayward ) which a test class batsman does not have much trouble facing.
As Marc if 92 - 95 mph is slow then......

Also what do you base your comment that becasue they don't have pace they wont trouble a test batsman, there are many top bowlers who aren't quick G.McGrath bowls around 88mph but has just taken his 400th test wicket, if you looked at it from a speed point of view I could only think of a handful of bowlers quicker than the English two in question.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah Jones only picked one top order wicket out of 4 and Harmison 1 of 5. They are good bowlers but not as good as they are hyped.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by vishnureddy
I don't think that Jones and Harmison will trouble AUS. They picked mostly Indian tailenders wickets and not their batsman. So, when they can't get Indian batsman who are very poor away how can they trouble the aussies.
How can you say that either, S.Jones has only bowled 38 overs (1 match) in his short Test history inculding a few overs while injured and Harmison has bowled 49 overs (1 match) in his Test history.

You must be a fine anaslyst to draw that both players are weak against top/middle order batsman, from such limited action you would have seen from them.

[Edited on 24/10/02 by Rich2001]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
"Harmison rant"
2 points on Harmison.

1 - he was injured.
2 - Hussain is quoted as saying he was bowling the line he was asked as that is what will be wanted of him in the Tests.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Stuff Craig White, pick Caddick as the all rounder or maybe he can take Crawley's middle order spot. I'll bet he's never top scored for England before.

Not much being said about the Aussie line up for the first test. I would take a good long look at Mark Waugh and Brett Lee. Waugh is either gone or will be selected on a test by test basis, one more failure and he's gone. Lee was outshone by Bichel in the last 2 tests and must be close to being dropped.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Andy Bichel can come & gain NZ citizenship if Australia are electing to pick Brett Lee over Bichel's performances from the last 2 seasons.

masterblaster

International Captain
India certainly want a bowler like Bichel also, and Damien Fleming too. I wish Flemo would just consider living in Mumbai and playing for India

:D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The pressure on Mark Waugh has been intensified further today with yet another ton by young NSW star batsman Michael Clarke, Clarke has now hit 100's against QLD and SA to start the season off as well as scoring runs in the Sydney local comp, and ING Cup...

There has been a heap of talk about him sneaking a spot in the side and if this form continues then it could unfold...

Also on the NSW vs SA match great news for Michael Slater as in his return match to the 1st team on his way to a brilliant pressure 100...
Go Slats!!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by The Argonaut
Stuff Craig White, pick Caddick as the all rounder or maybe he can take Crawley's middle order spot. I'll bet he's never top scored for England before.
I don't know, he has scored in the 30s and 40s before! :lol:

Originally posted by The Argonaut

It is unfortunate that the England side is not fully fit as it would be good to thrash them and not have them whinge about being decimated by injuries when they get thrashed anyway.:D:D:D:D:D
English side is NEVER fully fit!

Rich2001

International Captain
But none of us English fan (Me/Marc/Neil) have said we will win :rolleyes:

I have already said we will loss but might seak a win one test with a final result of either 3-1 or 4-1