• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni for Captain?

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I am hard pressed to think of a successful batsman who has played two consecutive shots in that manner (charging down a pitch) in the fourth innings when the team situation warrants defense.
So am I.:p
Dhoni's act was an exaggerated form of a batsman getting out while probing to a ball outside off without moving his feet in two consecutive matches, which has happened to a LOT of batsmen. Problem is, Dhoni just made it look so bad that it's hard to defend him.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
"Dhoni, to my mind, has the ability to bring players together... because of the diversity in India, our captain has to be someone who can 'unite' everybody..."

-Kapil Dev

If Dhoni ever becomes the captain, I will have to start rooting for Pakistan in India vs Pakistan matches.
I am surprised you don't already!

Retox

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
I am hard pressed to think of a successful batsman who has played two consecutive shots in that manner (charging down a pitch) in the fourth innings when the team situation warrants defense.
People makes mistakes, In a few years he may mature and make a good captian.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Dhoni captaining a side potentially including Tendulkar and Dravid is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. If I was either of those two I'd probably be offended to be captained by a guy with no brain! :laugh:
You're right. Dhoni captaining a team which has Dravid is ridiculous. But a team without Dravid, Tendulkar and maybe Sehwag?

Well, for one, he would make the entire team drink a glass of milk every morning. So that's healthy living.

Craig

World Traveller
Not quite as relevant but I do have a question and to save time making another thread or finding one, who do Indian fans want as the starting wicket keeper?

I like Parthiv Patel; but I think he was thrown in too early and is keeping (last time I saw him) was horrible, he would have been dropped from his domestic team in India if he were just a normal FC cricketer and not in the Indian set-up while I haven't had the chance to spend long periods of time watching Dhoni and Kaarthik (sorry if I spelt it wrong).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I hope they dont burden him with these thoughts already. Give the guy some time. He has only been around the international scene for a couple of years now.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Not quite as relevant but I do have a question and to save time making another thread or finding one, who do Indian fans want as the starting wicket keeper?

I like Parthiv Patel; but I think he was thrown in too early and is keeping (last time I saw him) was horrible, he would have been dropped from his domestic team in India if he were just a normal FC cricketer and not in the Indian set-up while I haven't had the chance to spend long periods of time watching Dhoni and Kaarthik (sorry if I spelt it wrong).
Well, I'm not an Indian, but I'll give it a shot. Dhoni is obviously the best choice for ODIs. His explosive batting has won many games for India in his short career. He is as important to India as Afridi is to Pakistan.

Test matches are a different story. Dhoni is not made for the test arena, not saying he is no good for it though. I think India will be better suited with Patel in tests and Dhoni in ODIs. I'm sure majority of Indian fans would want Dhoni for both formats, but many on here might not want him for the tests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
nightprowler10 said:
Well, I'm not an Indian, but I'll give it a shot. Dhoni is obviously the best choice for ODIs. His explosive batting has won many games for India in his short career. He is as important to India as Afridi is to Pakistan.

Test matches are a different story. Dhoni is not made for the test arena, not saying he is no good for it though. I think India will be better suited with Patel in tests and Dhoni in ODIs. I'm sure majority of Indian fans would want Dhoni for both formats, but many on here might not want him for the tests.
you are forgetting the fact that Dinesh Kaarthick is THE best keeper of the 3 and is not a bad batsman. He should get a go at test cricket before Parthiv. Parthiv was woefully short of international class as a keeper.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
you are forgetting the fact that Dinesh Kaarthick is THE best keeper of the 3 and is not a bad batsman. He should get a go at test cricket before Parthiv. Parthiv was woefully short of international class as a keeper.
I actually meant Karthick, my bad.

adharcric

International Coach
Dhoni should get the test series against South Africa. If he fails, bring in Karthik against England. If he's moderate, give him a final chance against England.

Craig

World Traveller
How much has Patel's keeping improved by since he was dropped in 2004 against Australia? Rahul Dravid would have done a better job, I don't know if that is sad or not.

nightprowler10 said:
Dhoni is ten times the batsman Afridi is.Dhoni has won many matches for India in a short career but Pakistan has never won but almost have to pay for Afridi's idiotics.IMO,he doesn't deserve to be in a talented side like Pakistan.

Dhoni=Proper hitter
Afridi=Slogger

shortpitched713

International Captain
adharcric said:
If he's moderate, give him a final chance against England.
To do what exactly? I don't think Dhoni is really better than moderate as a keeper, and to expect him to improve quickly in that short of a time seems a bit naive.

I'd say that if you're going to take Dhoni, you are going to have to expect the fact that hes not the best glovesman in the world. I think the real question would be is whether or not his batting is that much better in Tests than someone else who could do a better job with the gloves to merit selection.

shortpitched713

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
Dhoni is ten times the batsman Afridi is.Dhoni has won many matches for India in a short career but Pakistan has never won but almost have to pay for Afridi's idiotics.IMO,he doesn't deserve to be in a talented side like Pakistan.

Dhoni=Proper hitter
Afridi=Slogger
Afridi contributes with the ball too, especially in ODIs. I don't think you can dismiss him as just a useless, stupid slogger because he has won matches for Pakistan on quite a few occasions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BhupinderSingh said:

Dhoni=Proper hitter
Afridi=Slogger
Afridi is a vital member of the Pakistani side. I will be surprised if a lot more people share your extreme view.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
So far, Dhoni has demonstrated the presence of a better cricket brain than Afridi. His last few innings however leave much to be desired.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
BhupinderSingh said:
Dhoni=Proper hitter
Are you serious?

Anyway, I was talking about both players worth to their teams as all around cricketers. Afridi has won many matches for Pakistan with his batting and his bowling. Don't forget Afridi's "slogging" against Lee and McGrath helped Pakistan beat Australia in the VB series last year, but Dhoni's "proper hitting" couldn't help his team acheive a small target against a weaker Aussie bowling attack. Of course Dhoni also has won many matches for India, which is why I rate them about the same.

That said, I think arguing about which has a better cricketing mind between Afridi and Dhoni is like arguing who is smarter between Bush and Blair.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
nightprowler10 said:
That said, I think arguing about which has a better cricketing mind between Afridi and Dhoni is like arguing who is smarter between Bush and Blair.
Its not even close when it comes to that mate. Dhoni has demonstrated an ability to buckle down and play for time like he did in the 2nd ODI vs Pakistan in Abu Dhabi (?). I can't recall Afridi having done that ever.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
dhoni can hits sixes make himm indian captain or sehwag he hits sixes. sixes