• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose-Walsh or Wasim Akram-Waqar Younis

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
SJS - how did you select those four as the best Windies bowlers?
When did I say these four were the best West Indian fast bowlers ever ?

I have seen both Hall and Roberts and wow what bowlers !!!

haroon510

International 12th Man
i would have to go with waqar and wasim although they couldn't continue the same magic as they had at the start of their careers. ambros and walsh was still considered dangrous even at the end of thier careers.
i kind of not agree with some one who said waqar and wasim shuld have thought of retiring in 99 or 98. if u go and take a look at thier carreer they didn't do bad in thier last years. waqar and wasim was still considered dangrous to play. waqar's career's best performance in one day game came in his last years against england when he took 7 wickets. it is hard to ignore this from my point of view. here is the match
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2001/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/SCORECARDS/ENG_PAK_NWS_ODI7_17JUN2001.html

Matt79

Global Moderator
SJS said:
When did I say these four were the best West Indian fast bowlers ever ?

I have seen both Hall and Roberts and wow what bowlers !!!
I thought you did here:

Here are four top West Indians. As I said before West indians dont fit the pattern when they come in batches of half a dozen a time

Seriously, they make a very intersting study in contrast....
GARNER : ...
HOLDING :...
WALSH A very long (18 years) career of medium intensity...
AMBROSE....
But I see I slightly misread your introduction "Here are four top West Indian...". I thought you said "Here are the four top West Indian..."

My mistake! :)

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
I always thought Walsh was overrated, simply because of his longevity in the game.

I agree with those who said Ambrose / Marshall but did those two actually bowl in tandem?

In terms of the thread I'd have to go for Wasim / Waqar. That pair were just lethal.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have seen Amborose and Walsh in full flow live so id go for them but thats purley a personal feeling. Ambrose was quite increadible when i saw him and only rivaled by Mgrath whos spell i saw on the first day of the ashes. That was the greatest bowling i am ever likely to see

tooextracool

International Coach
Id say Ambrose and Walsh, purely because of the longevity of their career. These 2 formed a successful bowling pair for nearly a decade. I mean ambrose didnt have a single bad series from 98 until the end of his career, and he was averaging in the teens for that period. Waqar was almost useless after his first 5 years, while Akram was nowhere near as good as he was before then. In their primes though, there isnt much doubt in my mind that Waqar and Wasim were more effective, ball tampering or not.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JF. said:
I always thought Walsh was overrated, simply because of his longevity in the game.

I agree with those who said Ambrose / Marshall but did those two actually bowl in tandem?

In terms of the thread I'd have to go for Wasim / Waqar. That pair were just lethal.
That IS the point. Of the four bowlers, Walsh is the one that did not look LETHAL but a work horse for most of his career.

His stats are great but they too picked up in the last years of his career as he decided to bowl medium pace to great effect. When he was bowling the faser stuff he wasnt looking to be amongst the GREATEST bowlers though he was very good.

Matt79

Global Moderator
JF. said:

they certainly did in the late 80s. I remember the Windies tour of Australia with Marshall, Ambose taking the new ball, Walsh first change and Patrick Patterson along for the ride...

prob the best team i saw until Waugh's Aussies (who were at least in the ball park, but not clearly better either):
Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Richards
Logie
Hooper
Dujon
Marshall
Ambrose
Walsh
Patterson
(with Harper as 12th man). Just awesome