• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A four man pace attack could be the answer!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by anilramavarma

In Sharjah, wasn't it Sachin who decimated Warne? Kambli did that in Australia in a one dayer.
Sachin did it in Sharjah in 1998 in that tournament that totally belonged to him, but Kambli did it a while back in 1994 or so in Sharjah in which India beat Australia in a semi final type of match(don't remember exactly) and Kambli came in late in the innings as India was chasing and tonked Warne for over 20 runs in an over, when Warne was bowling pretty good all through the innings.I think India won comfortably with some six-seven overs to spare.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by aussie_beater
Originally posted by anilramavarma

In Sharjah, wasn't it Sachin who decimated Warne? Kambli did that in Australia in a one dayer.
Sachin did it in Sharjah in 1998 in that tournament that totally belonged to him, but Kambli did it a while back in 1994 or so in Sharjah in which India beat Australia in a semi final type of match(don't remember exactly) and Kambli came in late in the innings as India was chasing and tonked Warne for over 20 runs in an over, when Warne was bowling pretty good all through the innings.I think India won comfortably with some six-seven overs to spare.
You're right. My mistake.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why not Sehwag or Tendulkar or Yuvraj or....? The point is that I was replying to the assertion that Harb will be treated with utter disdain in Australia. In the first place, that statement is arguable as Harb is a quality spinner and there is no past evidence to suggest that it will be quite as simple as that.

My reply was based on past treatment of Warne by Indian top and middle-order batsmen in both India and Australia. It is a proven fact(which Warne has also admitted) that the Indians play Warne with ease at all times and contemptuous ease on occasions. Any of the top order Indian batsmen are capable of smashing Warne over the fence, so what do you mean by saying only Ganguly can do it?
I assumed we were talking Tests - As a left hander Ganguly has the advantage over the right handers (hitting against the spin and all that)

They are capable, but would not do it because of the risks IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But those weren't Tests were they...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm ok Bond did well in the ODIs but you have to score quickly in them...in the tests he didn't manage to take more than a wicket an innings...I don't call that mesmerizing!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
But those weren't Tests were they...
Nope.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
Why not Sehwag or Tendulkar or Yuvraj or....? The point is that I was replying to the assertion that Harb will be treated with utter disdain in Australia. In the first place, that statement is arguable as Harb is a quality spinner and there is no past evidence to suggest that it will be quite as simple as that.

My reply was based on past treatment of Warne by Indian top and middle-order batsmen in both India and Australia. It is a proven fact(which Warne has also admitted) that the Indians play Warne with ease at all times and contemptuous ease on occasions. Any of the top order Indian batsmen are capable of smashing Warne over the fence, so what do you mean by saying only Ganguly can do it?
I assumed we were talking Tests - As a left hander Ganguly has the advantage over the right handers (hitting against the spin and all that)

They are capable, but would not do it because of the risks IMO.
age_master's assertion that Harb will be creamed did not specify tests or one dayers. He just said that Harb will be hit around in Australia. In my reply, I said, so will Warne. I don't know why you assumed that we were talking about tests in particular. However, even if we were talking about tests, a person like Sehwag could definitely go for it, so too could the other youngsters. Sachin at this stage of his career might or might not depending on the match situation. Another thing, hitting against the spin assumes that they will try for it only on the on-side, why shouldn't a right hander hit a leg-spinner with the spin over say, long off or extra cover?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
When Warnie toured earlier, Sachin hit the last ball before lunch in one of the days in the Chennai test match for six :)

All the Indians were dominating the guy; even the tailenders smacked him for a few boundaries.
It was probably crucial that Sidhu started that assault at the top. This time around it's probably going to be Sehwag that's going to latch on to Warnie, every time he sees the pacemen through.

Sachin has nowadays completely eschewed the lofted shots over midwicket and long on that used to get him so many sixers earlier. The other Indian batsmen like VVS and Dravid also prefer scoring boundaries to hitting sixes.. So perhaps we are looking at Sehwag and Ganguly to get those ceiling high shots for India off Warne :)

Anyway, like I was telling you.. if you wanna see some fireworks, send the Aussie side over to India- it doesn't get more entertaining than that :D

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by masterblaster
NO, this isnt the answer, England are still gonna get their butts kicked by Australia. Jones, Harmison arent great, because their raw at the moment.

Ever seen Ricky Ponting's and Adam Gilchrist's AWESOME Pull shots and Cut Shots, they can literally tear Shaun Pollock and Allan Donald to shreds, who are Jones and Harmison to compare with Pollock and Donald??! Akhtar and Bond have proved time and time again why they are class. Harbhajan also has proved this against Australia, Sri Lanka, England and now West Indies.
Sorry going back a bit here but....

Jones & Harmison might be raw but so was Bond when he went to Australia, he was a nobody until he took a load of wickets in the OD - VB series...

Likewise Harbhajan was a nobody until he destoryed Australia a couple of years back...Everyone has to make a impact at some point why not now on the biggest test series in cricket??

IMO England will lose the Ashes but I feel they will give the Australians a run for their money and maybe nick a test, if England can continue their great run of batting and the bowlers can open up the Australian middle order early, by getting rid of the in form Hayden/Langer pair along with removing Gilly before he gets going, theres always a chance, it only takes 10 good balls to dismiss a team (pitty England normal need about 700 to get thoses 10 good balls :( )

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Jones & Harmison might be raw but so was Bond when he went to Australia, he was a nobody until he took a load of wickets in the OD - VB series...

Likewise Harbhajan was a nobody until he destoryed Australia a couple of years back...Everyone has to make a impact at some point why not now on the biggest test series in cricket??
That's right. and well said. England must back themselves and show more faith in the young speedsters. Nobody wants to not do well for their team...

India played that series without Srinath or Kumble, the only two matchwinning bowlers after Kapil for India. Laxman was making a comeback, Ganguly was pitifully out of form, we didnt have a 'keeper... the negatives are always endless. The important thing is for the players to want to make a mark and play with the confidence that they are international level cricketers..

England can do without Gough and who have you if some people put up their hands and take the Aussies on.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Well Spotted.

Not only is he not using "English Vocabulary" - i.e. Robert instead of Crofty, no sane Brit ever uses "Ozoz" or "Hurb" for Harbhajan etc...

He also has exactly the same IP as oyesachinoye (no longer here). Sadly for Mr Hoggard/OSO, some of us have IQs that can see straight through your tricks.
Please refrain from publishing IP addresses etc. of members.This is not acceptable in a public message board.

You being an admin does not in any way give you the right to abuse your power by looking up logs on the webserver and publishing IP addresses at will.

[Edited on 17/10/2002 by aussie_beater]

[Edited on 17/10/2002 by Andre]

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Just out of curiousity, what can be the implications of revealing someone's IP address?

And another question, is it against the rules of this site to post with two separate nicknames?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Basically, its a breach of privacy.

Well....if you know how to toy with trojans...IP's can be devastating. Dont think that multiple sing in names is bad but why do it ? when one can do the job.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt that Neil was intentionally posting the ip for a bad reason.

Even a novice of the computer would have little trouble finding an ip, and you'd expect a hacker wouldn't need any help trying to find one anyway.

so please don't let this boil over.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well....if you know how to toy with trojans...IP's can be devastating.
If you know how to toy with trojans, you'd find getting someone's IP a breeze anyway. Every site you visit leaves a footprint which makes you easily trackable. And I've been to public message boards who post the IP's of their members because they realise that to publish or not is moot.

Anyway, people on dial-up use a different IP address every time they log-in and people on broadband connections should learn to protect themselves with firewall software of some sort (as a minimum) because IP's published or not, they're easy to get hold of anyway.

Your IP doesn't actually reveal anything of your personal details so if you protect yourself, you shouldn't have any troubles.

You being an admin does not in any way give you the right to abuse your power by looking up logs on the webserver and publishing IP addresses at will.
Who needs weblogs? I'm looking at Neil's right now and I just ran a script. All it tells me is his address on a server. I can only do damage if he hasn't protected himself and as I said, regardless of whether they're published, it's easy to get hold of them.

Last I checked, it wasn't illegal to obtain someone's IP address by port scanning their POP, IMAP4, FTP etc. ports. It's akin to someone looking in your windows whilst you're at home out on the street. Sure it's annoying and suspicious but they're doing nothing illegal. If it were illegal to do port scans to obtain IP's, then it'll be illegal for ANYONE to create weblogs of peoples'IP's. Whether Cricketweb does it or someone personally does it doesn't matter; it's not illegal.

Having said all that, if people insist that we don't publish member's IP's then we can just not do it. Fine with me.