• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
ClownSymonds said:
Agreed. Though I haven't seen much of his keeping.

Kamran Akmal, the Pakistan keeper, is also performing miserably. Maybe something in the English air is making wicketkeeping difficult.
Maybe but nothing seemed wrong with Sangakkara and what about keepers on the county circuit? Thats not the reason IMO. I think Kamran is just going through a bad patch and Read cannot be judged on the few international games he has played so far.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No one ever has a good first tour of England with the gloves. The ball swings late and after the bat and it's very tricky.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Movement probably is a factor but Kamran's confidence seems low as he is missing some very easy takes as well e.g. the mis stumping of Clarke yesterday

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
It has been said a few times that the best keeper is always the number two - he isn't the one out there making mistakes. Keepers are expected to hold virtually everything that comes at them, so unless they are taking incredible catches or making brilliant stumpings (the type of which very few current keepers can make), their performances do not stand out. If he is going to make mistakes (as most do), I feel that the only way in which a keeper can hold is own is through sheer weight of runs. If he is not a prolific runscorer, and there is another keeper of similar ability behind the stumps, then the number one will constantly be changing.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jungle Jumbo said:
It has been said a few times that the best keeper is always the number two - he isn't the one out there making mistakes. Keepers are expected to hold virtually everything that comes at them, so unless they are taking incredible catches or making brilliant stumpings (the type of which very few current keepers can make), their performances do not stand out. If he is going to make mistakes (as most do), I feel that the only way in which a keeper can hold is own is through sheer weight of runs. If he is not a prolific runscorer, and there is another keeper of similar ability behind the stumps, then the number one will constantly be changing.
Great post.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
While everyone has a comment on Chris Read's lack of dive, we may have to look at Trescothick's lethargic slip-catching as well. He's been incredibly slow for a long time, even though we've seen the keeper changed twice. Anyway, Read's faster than Jones, and we've seen enough of that when he got a chance. He was dropped a little too soon, while Jones carried on for over two years, despite being slower, less reliable and conceding so many byes in any innings– when he made his debut, he conceded more byes in one innings than Read did in three matches before, and was greeted by 400 not out. As for his batting, he's not that special, and won't make an England top six on his batting at present. Read's batting, however, is good value addition to his keeping.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jungle Jumbo said:
It has been said a few times that the best keeper is always the number two - he isn't the one out there making mistakes.
Except in the West Indies, when the best 'keeper is Carlton Baugh jr.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
when he made his debut, he conceded more byes in one innings than Read did in three matches before, and was greeted by 400 not out.
A tad harsh, since he gave away a mere 4 byes out of a total in excess of 700 (and how does he get the blame for the 400*?!)

tooextracool

International Coach
Bob Bamber said:
Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.
i really wish people would realise that Jones was dropped because he was not good enough to cut it at the international level, not because of the fact that his performances were acceptable and there were better keepers knocking around. Whether or not Read is good enough to play for england(and you'd have to be a complete idiot if you dropped him looking at his last 3 test scores) is another story,but if Read isnt good enough it doesnt mean that Jones deserves to be back in the side.
As far as the Read-Trescothick situation is concerned, one would think that its merely because of the fact that its a new combination behind the stumps. A possible solution is to widen the gap between the keeper and slip and therefore ensure that Read goes for almost everything that goes wide off him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
indeed, i'd say Trescothick is nearly as much if not as much to blame as Read, they should have sorted it out (and practised it extensively) as to who is going to go for what. I suggest Tresco's troubles with the bat are leading to him focusing less on his slip fielding though. If you look at some of the times Jones went accross Tresco, Tres is still going to his left regardless of jones but he's stopped doing that with Read.

tooextracool

International Coach
As far as Read's batting is concerned, im still not convinced and i think his footwork is still not very good. He does seem to be getting into better positions than before, but i think he'll get a thorough work out in the Ashes down under.

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think you could go on for hours working out whether Read is better than Jones.

All that matters is neither of them are anywhere near as good overall as Alec Stewart was. Stewart even managed to do the role as opener, as well as keep and have a test average of around 40.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oli Norwell said:
All that matters is neither of them are anywhere near as good overall as Alec Stewart was. Stewart even managed to do the role as opener, as well as keep and have a test average of around 40.
If only he'd been left to open the batting and let Russell keep...

Steulen

International Regular
marc71178 said:
If only he'd been left to open the batting and let Russell keep...
Fairly similar situation to the initial Read vs. Jones broohaha. Russell the better keeper, Stewart the better batsman...Stewart in possession of the gloves.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess so, although the difference is that Stewart when keeping wasn't actually a better batsman, but he could've walked into the side as a batsman alone (and more than likely solved the opening problems)