• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Manjrekar/Tendulkar story

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
kvemuri said:
I will just say one thing on this topic, its easy to criticise one when that person is down rather than support that person in their need. Indian media has shown a greatness in kicking a dog when its down, be it a Ganguly when he was going through horrendous form or be it an Azhar who was losing grip on his captaincy, they had already started circling around Sachin, this is a fine example of "washing your hands in flowing/river water".

One other comment, the tragedy of being Sachin is damned if he does damned if he doesn't, if he had played not 100% fit as Manjrekar states he should've, the media and fans and probably Manjrekar himself would've been all over Sachin for playing half fit and not allowing another fully fit player a chance and in this way being selfish. Now that he decided not to play without being fully fit Sachin is being accused of chasing a ghost, being un-realistic and faking injuries. All i can say is WOW and how low can someone sink.
Having heard Sanjay Manjrekar's commentary in Ten Sports quite often, I agree absolutely with you.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
FRAZ said:
Doesn't mean much. The Indian media has more heads than a hydra and sees more versions of the truth than is fathomable.

It's quite baffling as to why schedule and make a hue and cry all over the media about a fitness test and then make your decision without undergoing it. It's twice now. Reeks of unprofessionalism in the BCCI, but why blame Sachin?

FRAZ

International Captain
pug said:
Doesn't mean much. The Indian media has more heads than a hydra and sees more versions of the truth than is fathomable.

It's quite baffling as to why schedule and make a hue and cry all over the media about a fitness test and then make your decision without undergoing it. It's twice now. Reeks of unprofessionalism in the BCCI, but why blame Sachin?
Yeah the decent media from there is for the NRI's . Remember when Greg Chap was accused of making different abusive gestures by using a part of his hand . I mean Greg said himself , "No I did not perform that indecent activity".
I mean my friend just let go this topic . It will just creat more fuss in our mind. Indian team is going wonderful ,and it is getting back on track . The new wave of getting good fast bowlers is absolutely good and will help the team . Dravid is the most decent batsman and the most intelligent captain India ever had . And forget politics .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
kvemuri said:
One other comment, the tragedy of being Sachin is damned if he does damned if he doesn't, if he had played not 100% fit as Manjrekar states he should've, the media and fans and probably Manjrekar himself would've been all over Sachin for playing half fit and not allowing another fully fit player a chance and in this way being selfish. Now that he decided not to play without being fully fit Sachin is being accused of chasing a ghost, being un-realistic and faking injuries. All i can say is WOW and how low can someone sink.
Very true, if he plays injured (such as against Bangladesh) he's selfish and wanting to feast on the easy bowlers. If he decides not to play because he isn't 100% fit, he's faking an injury.

I'd like to see Sanz comment on this.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Manjrekar may be right in stating that Sachin should perhaps start to accept the fact that he is never really gonna be 100% fit and therefore prepare to play with the odd niggle or ache. But having said that, if Sachin believes that he cannot contribute as much as another guy can when he has the niggle or ache, then it is right of him to opt out and give the opportunity to another guy who is at least 100% fit. The Windies dont really have the talent pool to replace even 50% of the void that Lara's absence would create. Fortunately, the same is not the case with India. A Yuvraj Singh can arguably fill at least 60-70% of the void that Sachin's absence in the line up would create. That is one point that Manjrekar seems to have missed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I think Manjrekar may be right in stating that Sachin should perhaps start to accept the fact that he is never really gonna be 100% fit and therefore prepare to play with the odd niggle or ache. But having said that, if Sachin believes that he cannot contribute as much as another guy can when he has the niggle or ache, then it is right of him to opt out and give the opportunity to another guy who is at least 100% fit. The Windies dont really have the talent pool to replace even 50% of the void that Lara's absence would create. Fortunately, the same is not the case with India. A Yuvraj Singh can arguably fill at least 60-70% of the void that Sachin's absence in the line up would create. That is one point that Manjrekar seems to have missed.
Its not just that.

Firstly if a player is carrying an injury which could get further aggravated by playing on he ows it to himself as a professional to attend to it at the earliest.

Secondly, if a player is carrying an injury which needs to be attended to but is not going to get aggravated by playing on, the player may decide to play on. But if he is not in great form, then he might as well adress it when his contributions are relatively modest than when he is playing well. This he owes to his country.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Why are you on a tirade against Tendulkar then? The article clearly says the BCCI said he wouldn't need a fitness test, not Tendulkar himself.
And ofcourse the GOD agreed to it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
That's great way to put it HB. But somehow Tendulkar fanatics cant see it that way, for them it has to be Manjrekar's jealousy.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
And ofcourse the GOD agreed to it.
...and who wouldn't? If the board thinks you don't need a fitness test, and you feel fit to play, why on earth would you take the test? You're not making any sense.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Very true, if he plays injured (such as against Bangladesh) he's selfish and wanting to feast on the easy bowlers. If he decides not to play because he isn't 100% fit, he's faking an injury.

I'd like to see Sanz comment on this.
Jono, you still haven't responded to my post on SuperSeries where Tendulkar was supposedly injured but was still playing in the challengers. With all due respect to BD team, they are still an easy target and If Tendulkar knew he wasn't fully fit then he should have used that time to heal the injury.

At this age he is never going to be 100% fit, take it from me. He can keep skipping fitness tests to prove his fitness.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
...and who wouldn't? If the board thinks you don't need a fitness test, and you feel fit to play, why on earth would you take the test? You're not making any sense.
Oh what a godly act !! Why would the God refuse the favor. Let's award him Bharat Ratna also for being fit.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Oh what a godly act !! Why would the God refuse the favor. Let's award him Bharat Ratna also for being fit.
Since you're asking for responses from others, can I get a serious response from you? Why would someone who does not have to take a fitness test take one anyway?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Since you're asking for responses from others, can I get a serious response from you? Why would someone who does not have to take a fitness test take one anyway?
Tendulkar missed the enitre WI tour (a very important one considering the WC 2007) due to this injury, according to he himself this is the worst injury of his career that caused him 'Sleepless nights and days full of frustration' and he still didn't take the fitness test ?

To answer your question, he should have taken the fitness test, Because that is the right thing to do. Everyone knows BCCI is run by idiots, they dont know what they are doing. They are so inconsistent in every action they take. on 14th July Kiran More and CO. were giving interviews (July 15) to media that :-

"..Tendulkar's inclusion in the Sri Lanka bound squad depended solely on his passing the fitness test. Tendulkar will undergo fitness test next week and it all depends on whether he clears it.."

And when the day(July 19) came for fitness, BCCI said "Tendulkar underwent rehabilitation (for the shoulder injury) under the supervision of Indian team physio John Gloster and in the last five days has made satisfactory progress to make himself available for the Sri Lanka series"

By simply agreeing to skip the fitness test (as offered to him by the BCCI) Sachin hasn't done the right thing.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Jono, you still haven't responded to my post on SuperSeries where Tendulkar was supposedly injured but was still playing in the challengers.
Travel comes to mind for one. Secondly the ICC urged him that though he was included in the squad, if he is not 100% fit he should do the right thing and withdraw so another batsman can have the 'privilege' of playing for the World XI.

And please don't sarcastically reply saying "oh what a great selfless man God is" because I know you're going to do that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Travel, Tendulkar did travel to Mohali for the Challenger, and I dont think ICC asked him to withdraw if he wasn't 100% fit. Infact ICC gave him more time to get fit but it was the BCCI that declared that he was not fit enough and needed some match practice before an international series.

And please don't sarcastically reply saying "oh what a great selfless man God is" because I know you're going to do that
Well you are wrong.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ICC stated that Tendulkar should do the right thing and withdraw if he is not 100% fit to be fair to other batsman (such as Inzy). I'll try and dig up the article which mentions this, but you are right they did give him an extended time. Why? Because Sachin = Money.