• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Now all ND need is for Lord Colin to buy a Tauranga batch and they'll have the entire NZ test bowling attack.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and personally I have no issue with NZ batting to 9, just as long as the attack doesn't suffer too badly and CDG is actually looking like he won't be a walking wicket to Shadab and Yasir.
We don't know yet how CDG will go in overseas tests - so far he's been a home-town hero. Think we can pretty easily forecast that his bowling overseas (outside England and maybe SA) will give the other bowlers a rest but not do much else. His batting however is unknown. Generally I'd guess any NZer on their first subcontinent test tour would bat awfully, though in CDG's favour he has at least toured India in the limited overs formats and played in the IPL. Also think his aggressive batting approach always has some chance of success and would contrast against what Watling and Santner will do. We won't know until we try though.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
We don't know yet how CDG will go in overseas tests - so far he's been a home-town hero. Think we can pretty easily forecast that his bowling overseas (outside England and maybe SA) will give the other bowlers a rest but not do much else. His batting however is unknown. Generally I'd guess any NZer on their first subcontinent test tour would bat awfully, though in CDG's favour he has at least toured India in the limited overs formats and played in the IPL. Also think his aggressive batting approach always has some chance of success and would contrast against what Watling and Santner will do. We won't know until we try though.

Most of what you say is true, except that CDG has demonstrated issues with leg spin in India in ODI and T20, in the IPL, and at home vs Pakistan (and that games he gets 70 odd and we win, he only faced Shadab's last over and yes he plonked a 6 off him, but he had still around that 6 and a few more 6's - shown to many an inability to pick from the hand). I still remember him failing to see NZ home in India on our last tour. Now I hope his IPL stints are helping with this and batting against spin all round, but not picking a googly in T20 is the same as not picking a googly in test.

So far, CDG has failed against leggies, but he is a work in progress. And I think we can all agree that most NZC fans are very happy with his progress.

But Pakistan could very well have two leggies, and these guys are fair bowlers in Shadab and Yasir.

So I personally based on what you and I agree on, and what we disagree on, think;
6 Watling
7 Santner
8 Astle
9 Southee/Henry (instead of CDG)
10 Wagner
11 Boult

is a fair chance for the UAE. But I admit - there are no guarantees, and Sodhi if picked could yet give CDG a better chance of playing.

Personally, I think Astle on the back of his bowling against England deserves a crack at playing. So that has Sodhi battling Santner in my opinion.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
OMG STUFF THAT WE WANTED TO HAPPEN ON THE INTERNET HAPPENED!

Wags to ND is like one of those wonderful dreams you conjure up and then when it actually happens, in amongst all the bad stuff in the world, you can start to believe there's a God. C'mon Howsie, give us your thoughts.

Best thing he'll play a lot for ND too, not one of those token international player to a different province ones where they couldn't show you to the training facilities after a few seasons.

Bijed

International Regular
Don't know if the corporate life would suit him, I hear he gets a bit short with people.
Hardly has to be corporate. All he has to do is goto SA and sign up outside quota talent and bring them back. While over there, have a nosey around Zimbabwe too.

It isn't like the English counties aren't doing it.

For the rest of his annual pay check, he can do meet and greets or help bowlers with their fitness and game preparation.

All I am saying is that NZC should make and facilitate an easy pathway for non-quota qualifying talent to migrate to into NZC FC structures.

And Wagner is the obvious posterboy to lead it and for NZC to beat off some of the counties. Whether he has talent identification skills, I do not know. But he seems to have a good enough head on his shoulders to me.
That's the thing with jokes about the short ball - if you don't land them right, they just fly over people's heads

Mr Miyagi

Banned
"But I think it's a great opportunity for everyone in world cricket to draw a line in the sand and say 'how do we want to play the game? What do we stand for? What's the style of play we want?' I don't think we want to play like the Kiwis, which I heard someone say. I mean, c'mon. The Kiwis, no thank you.

"But we probably want something in between the Kiwis and Australia at the moment. I want us to play hard but fair, tough, uncompromising cricket, but shake hands and play in the spirit of the game and show good sportsmanship."
Warne criticises Australia for too much whingeing - ESPNcricinfo

Guess Warne doesn't think Kiwis play hard, tough, uncompromising cricket.

"I'd say it to Gilly face to face, I don't think keepers make good captains," Warne said of his fellow Fox Sports commentator, Adam Gilchrist. "I think they make good deputies and are fantastic vice-captains to bounce off to set the standard of fielding.
The hits from Warne just keep coming.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
"I want us to play hard but fair, tough, uncompromising cricket, but shake hands and play in the spirit of the game and show good sportsmanship."

So like the Kiwis.

Athlai

Not Terrible
"I want us to play hard but fair, tough, uncompromising cricket, but shake hands and play in the spirit of the game and show good sportsmanship."

So like the Kiwis.
When he says tough, uncompromising cricket, he means sledging.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
When he says tough, uncompromising cricket, he means sledging.

But sledging within the spirit of the game that shows good sportsmanship right?

Most of these "mental disintegration" perpetrators are not gonna call for an end to sledging else concede that what they did is an ugly issue.

Obviously the problem is the stump mics.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Could be a domestix re-brand coming up, to align the men's and women's team names under a single banner.

Also hearing that Rutherford is looking elsewhere. Fun times for Otago.

Flem274*

123/5
Well that's a bit ****. We need 6 strong teams, and Rutherford/Wagner were Otago products as well*. Both went from a bit dire to NZ reps there.

*inb4 angry south africans claim ownership