• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting, Kallis & Dravid .....The show must go on !!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But will Ponting go on as long as Kallis? Kallis is younger, is he not?

On top of that, as great as Ponting is, we all know an eventual decline (even if its 4-5 years) will occur, and I think Kallis is more equipped to handle a decline due to age, mainly through fact that the strengths in his game are his technique, and less his eye compared to Ponting.

That being said, don't get me wrong. Ponting is IMO the better batsman, and will go down as the better batsman. But Kallis has a lot of things on his side. He's less likely to be forced out in 5 years due to better young batsman coming through as well.

IMO by the end of it the order of highest test runs will read like this:

Kallis
Ponting
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara

Just an opinion of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ponting was on top either. But Kallis has a lot of things going his way.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair calls there Jono - Kallis' style and technique certainly lends itself to less fluctuation in form and Test average than Ponting's, in the same way for example someone like AB had a style that was better equipped to minimise a declining average than Viv Richards. You could well be right - will be interesting to see.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the age Issue, whilst Kallis is a year younger, the fact that he's an allrounder arguably negates that point due to the stress placed on his body in bowling that Ponting hasn't had.

shortpitched713

International Captain
On the age Issue, whilst Kallis is a year younger, the fact that he's an allrounder arguably negates that point due to the stress placed on his body in bowling that Ponting hasn't had.
The moment that stress becomes too much though, he'll give up bowling, no doubt about that in my mind. He just contrubutes too much to SA with the bat for them to risk his long term fitness.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Ponting will end up with the most, but I would be as happy if the Great Jacques Kallis claimed the record.

I also think Mahela Jayawardene with 7271 runs at 30 years 239 days is a bit of a chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
damn.. i don't recall writing this.. did someone hick my passward and wrote this? i can't believe this..
i don't recall writing such a thing.. i have to change my passward.. i feel like someone has heck my passward and wrote that..
:laugh:

TBH, if someone did hack (not hick, or heck :p) your account, it'd be kinda pointless to change your password now, as said hack would have occurred in May 2006, and if it hasn't done so again since then it's unlikely it would do so again any time soon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin is curently 114* in the first innings of the Adelaide test, and has a total of 11,730 test runs.

223 runs off Lara's record of 11,953 test runs. If only there was a 5th test match. :(

Looks like he'll take the record in India against South Africa, and he's far from done yet.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yeah, would have been brilliant to see both batsmen get the record in the same country.
Imagine if he were to really push on here and take the record at the same ground as Lara...looks all but impossible though after the Laxman wicket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: That's true, completely forgot it was Adelaide that Lara got it too.

Was it in Australia that Border took the record from Gavaskar? Or was it Sri Lanka?

Precambrian

Banned
Ponting and Kallis are a year and half behind Tendulkar in terms of age.

Tendulkar will be finally playing a lot of test cricket on subcontinent after a long haul, and should relish it. So one can expect him to add another 2k to his tally easily.

While Ponting's had a brilliant 3-4 years now, most of his runs been made in Australia. In the next 2 years he'll be touring a lot and it will remain to be seen whether he'll be able to replicate the same rate of scoring to have a chance of surpassing Tendulkar. He will be also touring minefield India (where he averages Pigeonesque 12 in 8 tests)

That leaves Kallis. Now that is a chance. Yep, I'd put my money on him to go past Tendulkar, if someone does. However, here's to hope he won't suffer that inevitable form slump that graces any cricketer post 30 and post peaks and is not forced to take hurried exits.

Precambrian

Banned
And here's a very very very long shot.

Watch out for Alistair Cook. One of the most talented batsmen out there. And he's scoring runs without anyone really knowing it. He's 23 only. But already some 2200+ runs. And just assuming he's going to play for another 10-12 years, and assuming a gradual peak in 28-30, given the current rate of scoring almost 1k runs every year, he will easily score 14k-16k runs.

It's a very long shot. One poor ashes, and its al vida.