• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

100 Hundreds

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was going to simply express the view they should be treated as first class but then I seemed to recall that they couldn't use cricket grounds so didn't they airlift in pitches to other stadia? With that as a start I didn't want to show my ignorance hence hedging my bets in that cowardly manner - I'll check it out later!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I mean, look at the South African Tests 1961 to 1970. The ICC ruled that those matches were no official tests but that historians wouldn't have to change their records because the records have been established for so long.
Erm... eh?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The first ever test match and a number of subsequent ones were wholly private affairs .
Indeed, and for that reason I've long found it a bit iffy TSTL that these games were subsequently recognised as Tests. It'd be impossible to change all that now, and there'd be outcry if anyone tried, but whoever decided these games were Tests 30 years or however long it was later was badly mistaken IMO.

The inaugural Test should have been the game in 1880 for mine. And as for South Africa being classed a Test team in the 19th-century, that was beyond a joke. Possibly even worse than Bangladesh being so recently.

fredfertang

The inaugural Test should have been the game in 1880 for mine. And as for South Africa being classed a Test team in the 19th-century, that was beyond a joke. Possibly even worse than Bangladesh being so recently.
Couldn't agree more - at least all the Banglas have played first class cricket before their test debuts

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I seem to recall there was actually one who made his First-Class debut in a Test actually, though may be mistaken.

Certainly there was a Pakistani who made his Test and First-Class debuts simualtaneously against them. Lad called Yasir Ali, IIRR.

fredfertang

Joe McMaster's only first class game was a test in SA in 1889 - though he didn't know it at the time!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha really? I had wondered whether something like that had happened but never knew for certain whether it actually had.

How ridiculous.

Indipper

State Regular
Erm... eh?
It's on the ACS homepage. Or it was when I last checked. Press release dated April 15 AFAIR. Can't provide a link cause it won't open. South Africa wasn't an ICC member from 1961 to 1991, so none of their Tests were official and none of their domestic matches were first-class.

Ah, now it works.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well no-one's ever suggested that they are anything other in my lifetime TBH. It seems they're basically considered Tests by all common-sense with some asterix attached.

ICC wasn't in charge of the game in the 1960s though - MCC was. And I don't think the ACB, WICB or anyone else was a member of MCC at any point, but could be wrong.

Last edited:

Indipper

State Regular
What on earth does common sense have to do with administrative decisions? And perhaps this is due to my lacking knowledge of the game, but I couldn't find any reference as to the MCC being in charge of Test cricket beyond a lawmaking capacity. So I guess it's not completely wrong to assume that the Imperial Cricket Conference had a certain degree of say regarding Test status. Or perhaps even the current ICC just retconned the status of those matches, according to membership. I can't pretend to have all the facts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Until either 1989 or 1993, I can't remember which, MCC had complete and total control of all matters in the World game. Imperial Cricket Conference was nothing more than an imperial relic. It was only in the 1990s that ICC became cricket's govorning body.

All rulings about games involving apartheid-era SA were made retrospectively, by ICC early in the time they became the govorning body.

Indipper

State Regular
Hm. Ok, I did not know that but it explains a few things. Like the lifting of the FC status of the Rebel Tests. Yet I still don't see your point there. You obviously feel the status should never have been lifted in the first place, but I merely used that as an example for the obvious difference between political or administrative views and historian ones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matches in South Africa had always been First-Class - private ventures organised deliberately to disrupt official cricket have never been. That's the difference.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It's feasible that Rob Key could get closer than most, he's only 26, has 28 so far and it's quite likely he could still score heavily but not get in the England side, whilst still getting selected for A tours etc. Don't think he'd get 100 but he may get to 70 or 80.
Still think Bob Key may come close, he's on 43 and just turned 30. Not going to get into the England side but could play on for Kent for another 10 years. It would be a stretch though. Has had a couple of lean years recently but still scored 15 in the last 4 years.