• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your countries all time ODI eleven!!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
LOL @ Arjun putting Sehwag ahead of Ganguly in ODIs. That's laughable.
That may look laughable to many, but not so much if you look beyond the averages. When Ganguly scored runs, so did several others in a match, and it did not always translate into a victory– look at Jo'burg in 2001 and Nairobi in 2000. Whenever Sehwag scored, more often than now, the Indians would win the match. He may have an average far behind, but given the way he bats, it is expected. If Sehwag gets as many matches as Ganguly (even as Chappell critics think the so-called foreign hand won't allow it), I won't be surprised if he ends his career with a healthy average. He's a triple centurion in Tests, is that not enough!

In fact, I won't be surprised if some of the current ODI regulars make the all-time eleven for India. If Dhoni continues the form he's in, he can get in ahead of Nayan Mongia or even Jadeja. Yuvraj is already close. Irfan is a leading ODI bowler at present and also scores more than a few runs. It is a little too early to predict for Uthappa or Raina, but they're loking good for the current team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
That may look laughable to many, but not so much if you look beyond the averages. When Ganguly scored runs, so did several others in a match, and it did not always translate into a victory– look at Jo'burg in 2001 and Nairobi in 2000. Whenever Sehwag scored, more often than now, the Indians would win the match. He may have an average far behind, but given the way he bats, it is expected. If Sehwag gets as many matches as Ganguly (even as Chappell critics think the so-called foreign hand won't allow it), I won't be surprised if he ends his career with a healthy average. He's a triple centurion in Tests, is that not enough!

In fact, I won't be surprised if some of the current ODI regulars make the all-time eleven for India. If Dhoni continues the form he's in, he can get in ahead of Nayan Mongia or even Jadeja. Yuvraj is already close. Irfan is a leading ODI bowler at present and also scores more than a few runs. It is a little too early to predict for Uthappa or Raina, but they're loking good for the current team.
I have no doubt in my mind that Pathan and Dhoni will make an all-time Indian ODI team in a couple of years.

You know why? Because they're performing. The fact that Sehwag keeps getting worse and worse every year is worrying me. He was at his best in 2002, and hasn't reached that since, and to be honest, hasn't looked like either.

And bringing up his triple ton in tests to justify his ODI space is stupid. Sehwag is a brilliant test opener, but not a brilliant ODI opener, he's merely a dangerous one.

adharcric

International Coach
Absolutely. Sehwag is a world-class test opener, but not so consistent in one-day cricket. If he fires, he's very deadly ... but that doesn't make him a great player, merely a dangerous one just like Afridi (although Sehwag > Afridi).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
That may look laughable to many, but not so much if you look beyond the averages. When Ganguly scored runs, so did several others in a match, and it did not always translate into a victory– look at Jo'burg in 2001 and Nairobi in 2000. Whenever Sehwag scored, more often than now, the Indians would win the match. He may have an average far behind, but given the way he bats, it is expected.
Sehwag is below average in ODIs. He is Crap and at par with players like Afridi. He is highly overrated. Just how many ODIs has Sehwag won and please dont compare him to Gangs. Ganguly is an All time great ODI batsman, he won us so many matches on his own.

If Sehwag gets as many matches as Ganguly (even as Chappell critics think the so-called foreign hand won't allow it), I won't be surprised if he ends his career with a healthy average. He's a triple centurion in Tests, is that not enough!
What Crap ?? No being a triple centurian in tests isn't enough. And as for getting chances, at this age (27) Ganguly had played less matches than Sehwag and scored 13 100s and 32 50s (compared to Sehwag's 7 and 21). Not to forget Gangs had 1000 runs more in his name.

adharcric

International Coach
Ouch Sanz, you're being a little too harsh there. Sehwag certainly isn't crap and he's better than Afridi ... but there is NO comparison between Sehwag and Ganguly. They may bring a similar danger factor, but Ganguly has performed much more than Sehwag has. Ganguly is an all-time great. Sehwag is a dangerous yet only decent modern one-day batsman and world-class test batsman. Afridi is decent in both forms and will be remembered more as a firecracker than a great cricketer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Of course the whole package of Afridi in ODIs is much better than Sehwag. Afridi's bowling is very valuable, compared to Sehwag's which is generally just serviceable, and Afridi is a far far superior fielder.

If you asked me who I'd rather have in my ODI team, it'd be Afridi.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Making a guess......the CricInfo page doesn't say anything.
Cricinfo profile said:
No nickname was better earned that the "Deadly" which Derek Underwood's Kent team-mates conferred on him for the havoc he caused on rain-affected pitches. Such was his accuracy and, for a left-arm spinner, pace - either side of medium when the ball was really biting

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
Of course the whole package of Afridi in ODIs is much better than Sehwag. Afridi's bowling is very valuable, compared to Sehwag's which is generally just serviceable, and Afridi is a far far superior fielder.

If you asked me who I'd rather have in my ODI team, it'd be Afridi.
Oh yeah, I was just talking about batting.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Derek Underwood (RFM)[/list]Some of the selections here (seven, eight and nine) were a gamble. Maybe fans can help here.
underwood was a left arm spinner not a right arm fast medium bowler...

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
Did a Kiwi bloke steal one of your girlfriends? That might explain this unhealthy disregard you have for NZ.

Anyway, I'll give it a quick stab.

1. Nathan Astle
2. Glenn Turner
3. Stephen Fleming
4. Martin Crowe
5. Chris Cairns
6. Chris Harris
7. Adam Parore
8. Sir Richard Hadee
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Geoff Allott/Ewen Chatfield
any side without larsen and twose arguably NZ's best players in their discipline in ODIs is barely worth considering.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'll have a go at an England XI, although there's quite a high percentage of neo-colonials in there....

Nick Knight
Marcus Trescothick
Graeme Hick
Allan Lamb
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Botham
Andrew Flintoff*
Alec Stewart+
Darren Gough
Derek Underwood
Alan Mullally

Thorpey & Fairbrother are the two who're probably the most unlucky to miss out, but with Stewie coming in at 8 I think the batting probably has enough depth. "Deadly" gets the spinning berth almost by default, didn't play all the much but he's comfortably the best English spinner to have played in ODIs.
Did you consider Robin Smith? I would argue that hes a better bet than Trescothick.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
any side without larsen and twose arguably NZ's best players in their discipline in ODIs is barely worth considering.
If you read down, I'd forgotten about Larsen, but would have him ahead of Allott/Chatfield.

As for Twose, where exactly would you slip him in? Rather than making an aggressive throwaway comment, put him in somewhere.

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
If you read down, I'd forgotten about Larsen, but would have him ahead of Allott/Chatfield.

As for Twose, where exactly would you slip him in? Rather than making an aggressive throwaway comment, put him in somewhere.
put him in somewhere? really you build a side around your best batsmen. your comment is equivalent to asking where you would slip in viv richards into an all time ODI XI. not a single player on that list including martin crowe has a better average than twose, if anything he would get preference in terms of batting position so that he could bat where he was most comfortable, with everyone else being selected around him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So put him in for someone!!!! Are you always this difficult? Remove a name from there - go on, it's not that hard.

Dear oh dear.

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
So put him in for someone!!!! Are you always this difficult? Remove a name from there - go on, it's not that hard.

Dear oh dear.
ok, replace fleming with twose. there was it really that hard?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You were advocating the change, so you needed to do it. Well done, we worked through it together. Group hug everyone.