Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"

Well the following paragraphs from the cricinfo report are interesting read:

Typically, given the situation, there has been speculation that he had taken the decision after having been dropped from the last Test against Sri Lanka in Kandy, a Test Pakistan ultimately won. One senior journalist told Cricinfo that Afridi had been angry with the team management over his axing and decided, in the heat of the moment, to `retire.' Television commentators had also expressed considerable surprise over the decision and given how valuable a Test player he had been since his recall, the reaction wasn't a surprise. Afridi though was quick to deny this: "No, absolutely not. There was no pressure, no spat. It is just too much cricket and that is it. It is not a permanent thing anyway." Afridi earlier told a local television channel that he hadn't yet informed the PCB of his decision although he had discussed it with Inzamam-ul-Haq, who told him he would respect any decision taken.

The format he has chosen to take retirement from is particularly surprising given that in the last year, Afridi has become one of Pakistan's most valuable Test players. In fact, since his recall to the Test squad in January last year against Australia, in ten Tests, he has averaged 47.44 with four hundreds and three fifties. Some of his innings, such as the 58 against India in Bangalore last March, have changed the course of the Test and with 23 wickets, he finally appeared settled in the Test side. In contrast, in 43 ODIs since Bob Woolmer's arrival as coach - when Afridi was recalled to the ODI side - he averages just under 23 with the bat, with only three fifties. His solitary century of course was the 45-ball special against India. But with the ball he has been a revelation and his bag of leggies, offies, wrong `uns and quicker ones has resulted in 51 wickets.

Breakout Champion!

If Afridi has fell out with PCB or the Pakistani coaching team, why wouldn’t he just retire from all international cricket, the same people will be around when you play one day cricket.

Also he wants to spend more time with his family, so why is he coming over to play for Ireland in the C&G trophy?

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    All this makes Afridi a Nominee of CW's Inzi Award aka he does not know what he is talking about...lol

anyway this has to be one of the most surprising cricketing story in world cricket,

somehow there have been always people like him in Pakistan team who do not like the authority and want to be treated special, Yeah he had a great year in test matches both with ball and bat, but in 2nd SL test, he was dropped coz Pak needed to play an extra seemer, baced on experience of the last two test matches Pak played at Galle(1994, and 2000) in SL u have to get other team out the win a test match and thats why a seemer was better choice than a leggie+ plus the face that Faisal scored some runs in first test, so he had to be played to have a stronger middle order with a regular batsman....all that got MR SPECIAL feel like that he is being ignored and HOW DARE a THE TEAM drop him him, WHy was someone LIKE HIM, MR SUPERSTAR not given priority to the TEAM PAKISTAN.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And it’s not like we haven’t defeated India enough. I think we’ve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

This is the problem with Pakistan these days. Too many of their best players lack focus and commitment.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Suprising to say the least

He will be back
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Um, why would you retire from test cricket at the age of 26?
    He hasnt retired.

In effect what he is saying is " I wont play any test matches till the end of the WC 2007."

He seems to have trouble changing from the mad-slogging mode to completely-cuckoo-slogging mode it would seem.

Possible for such a cereberal guy.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Seriously unexpected news. Especially given that he's just starting to become a real force in Tests!

Mind you, it's good for England.
    It is - now we won't see him hitting the ball up in the air for single-figure scores in 1 or maybe 2 Tests and getting rapidly dropped as has happened several times before.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Um, why would you retire from test cricket at the age of 26?
    Some would question whether Afridi really is 26, same way some would question Raza's age and countless others.
    I wonder... are both pushing 30?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It is - now we won't see him hitting the ball up in the air for single-figure scores in 1 or maybe 2 Tests and getting rapidly dropped as has happened several times before.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It's a perfectly logical move - he's moving into wider areas, doing a Darren Gough and entering this year's 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

Oh, sorry. That was Faisalabad.
    I've not yet heard of strictly-come-pitch-doctoring...

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Some would question whether Afridi really is 26, same way some would question Raza's age and countless others.
    I wonder... are both pushing 30?
    One of those "some" happen to be ex boss of PCB ,Majid Khan, who was proven wrong when Hasan Raza underwent bone scan test to prove that he was actually 14 yr age at that time.

As far as Afridi is concerned, he is around 3 yrs older than his declared age.

Obviously something more to that, and if I was Pakistani fan I'd be pretty damn peed off. The excuse of concentrating for the World Cup is one of the stupidest ones I've ever heard.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

U19 Vice-Captain

Icon9

This is going to be a bad chapter in Pakistan cricket and is going to hit them hard.A strong and fit guy like Afridi (whether he's 26 or 29 he's still very young) doesn't need to skip test matches at such an age, its obvious that he isn't happy with certain things and has decided to protest. I guess it has something to do with Afridi being dropped in the last test match against Lanka.I think Afridi's retirement is going to affect "team spirit and unity" adversely and we will see formation of groups in Pak team once again.Players that are close to Afridi and have sympathy with him might even revolt against Inzamam, and the situation might get very ugly.
    We will get a better picture of Pak team when they tour England, where i believe a disjointed Pakistan team will get a thrashing and with that will come the end of Inzi's "lucky wins sequence".A disasterous tour of England and a similar one to that of SA will put Pak cricket ten steps backwards, and i think Pak team will be at its lowest ebb in the WC '07 (just like in the 03 WC)

Quote Originally Posted by PakPowered
    One of those "some" happen to be ex boss of PCB ,Majid Khan, who was proven wrong when Hasan Raza underwent bone scan test to prove that he was actually 14 yr age at that time.

As far as Afridi is concerned, he is around 3 yrs older than his declared age.
    Those scans and stuff I think in the end just give a range of ages you'd be. A few guys from each side at the U/19 WC had to take them, and the results came back saying "You are between 17 and 21 years old" and stuff like that.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information