• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting is a God who walks amongst mere mortals. With yet another century (29th), I think he will soon surpass Tendulkar with the most centuries in Test cricket. I have never seen such a purple patch for a batsman, with the exception of Tendulkar in his halcyon years.

To me, he is undoubtedly the best batsman in the game right now....and I'd seriously think about picking him over Flintoff as the best player in the game. Say what you want about his captaincy, but the guy's just a century machine.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's on the way to becoming an all-time great, not just a 'man of the moment' (not words I bandy about readily).

I must confess to having a giggle regarding his uninspiring captaincy, but as a batsman, he's certainly at the top of the pile.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Still think he's susceptible to the LBW early doors if the bowler is good enough, but show me a batsman that doesn't have a fault.

Wonderful, wonderful batsman.

greg

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Ponting is a God who walks amongst mere mortals. With yet another century (29th), I think he will soon surpass Tendulkar with the most centuries in Test cricket. I have never seen such a purple patch for a batsman, with the exception of Tendulkar in his halcyon years.

To me, he is undoubtedly the best batsman in the game right now....and I'd seriously think about picking him over Flintoff as the best player in the game. Say what you want about his captaincy, but the guy's just a century machine.
Inzamam might have a claim on both the purple patch and best batsman stakes.

Swervy

International Captain
In his last 50 tests (including this one, ) Ponting averages 71....my word.
I wonder if anyone(bar Bradman of course) has ever had such a high average over such a large number of tests.???

Statsguru, here I come:)

Swervy

International Captain
Swervy said:
I wonder if anyone(bar Bradman of course) has ever had such a high average over such a large number of tests.???

the best I can find for King Viv for a 50 tests stretch is an average of 58.7

Sachin averaged 62.9 between his 44th test and his 94th test

greg

International Debutant
Swervy said:

Jacques Kallis, obviously.

Swervy

International Captain
greg said:
Jacques Kallis, obviously.
hahaha..yeah...Kallis is averaging 71 over his last 50 tests as well....forgot about him!!!:)

but Pontings streak is better IMO coz Kallis has scored shed loads of runs vs Zimb and B'desh in that time!!!

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ponting is IMO playing nowhere near as well at present as he was 2001-2004.
Of course, most recent is best remembered so I might be well be widely disagreed with here - but Ponting in his last 5 or so Tests has had more let-offs than anyone since Adam Gilchrist.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Of course, most recent is best remembered so I might be well be widely disagreed with here - but Ponting in his last 5 or so Tests has had more let-offs than anyone since Adam Gilchrist.
Wow. 13 centuries and 9 fifties in twenty nine matches, not a bad record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
wow...thhat is a very purple 'purple patch'
What's more, I can only remember 2 innings where he definately got a let-off (clearly there will have been more than that, I just only remember 2) - Headingley where Ramps was standing a bit too deep - indeed that started it all off - and either Adelaide or MCG where Patel dropped him.
Even Laxman didn't make batting look so absurdly easy as Ponting did in this period.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I disagree.I watched both of Ponting's form streaks, and the most recent one (basically his last 8 tests, in which he has made 6 centuries) has been the best he has ever played. The bowling he has faced and the conditions he has batted in have been much more challenging in recent times, and his performances have been much more convincing.

Of course, he played wonderfully in the 2003/04 summer as well, but not as well as now. Yesterday's innings was quite fantastic given how difficult he found it to score. Credit must be given to a compulsively aggressive batsman who can curb his instincts in such a fashion and still make plenty of runs. I think the catalyst for his current form streak was the Old Trafford test, where he played the best innings of his career. Since then, he's been solid as a rock when thing were difficult and absolutely devastating when they were easy.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree.I watched both of Ponting's form streaks, and the most recent one (basically his last 8 tests, in which he has made 6 centuries) has been the best he has ever played. The bowling he has faced and the conditions he has batted in have been much more challenging in recent times, and his performances have been much more convincing.

Of course, he played wonderfully in the 2003/04 summer as well, but not as well as now. Yesterday's innings was quite fantastic given how difficult he found it to score. Credit must be given to a compulsively aggressive batsman who can curb his instincts in such a fashion and still make plenty of runs. I think the catalyst for his current form streak was the Old Trafford test, where he played the best innings of his career. Since then, he's been solid as a rock when thing were difficult and absolutely devastating when they were easy.
But he had a let-off yesterday!!!!11

oz_fan

International Regular
Ponting's form in tests has been magnificent.
6 centuries and 5 half centuries since the ashes